Finally bought my van, ready to hit the road!

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

passb5

Reaction score
Hey guys! My name is Wes and I'm 20 years old. I've been interested in the vandwelling lifestyle since I left school, and have been researching it ever since, waiting for the day when I could get a van of my own. Well that day finally came on Saturday, when I picked up my first van, and new home.
[align=center][img=600x350]
It's a 1995 GMC Vandura 2500! It's in really great condition, only 75,000 miles, runs and shifts great, and you could eat off the underside. It also has the two things I wanted most, rear A/C and all terrain tires. I really couldn't be happier with what I picked up, and can't wait to get out on the road. I have a basic plan for the interior, basically the set up in this article with a slightly smaller bed and a small auxiliary battery to charge up my phone, computer, and maybe power some lights and fans.

My travelling plans aren't too fleshed out and could change in an instant, but right now I live in Florida, so I plan to slum around here until the winter is over. Then come March or so I'm going up to Connecticut for a couple months, then out to Colorado. 

Along with my hello I'd like to give a serious thanks to the authors of this website, and contributors to this board. Over the last two years I've been through this site top to bottom to ensure I would be properly prepared, and with the guidance of all of you I really feel like I've been set up for success. So thanks, and hello!

Welcome Wes and congratulations on your new Van.  I remember when I got my first one when I was about
your age.  Wow, what a feeling and I'll never forget it.  Having my own place, mobility, freedom, could listen to
music without being told to turn it down.  LOL   Could go to places driving all night in the rain and feeling like the king of the road.

Take lots of pictures in your travels now, you'll be glad you did later.  Consider keeping a journal of the places
you've been and the things you did there.  There are loads of free maps at the State operated Tourist Information Centers and you can get a highlighter marker and mark the roads you traveled for future reference.

I looked through the website/Blog you posted at how they set up their layout.  The only thing that gives me
pause is the Kero-heater.  I would suggest you give some consideration to a Mr Buddy 4/9K BTU propane
heater. (these now have low oxygen level cut off's built in, but you should still have a window partly opened for fresh air)

30831317.jpg
I own one of these and can tell you the performance is quite
impressive.   It is small and could save you some valuable space. 

I'm sure you'll do just fine in your travels with that Chevy Van.

Greetings and Welcome!

Great choices!

If you're going to be anywhere where it get's cold that kerosene heater is a very wise choice. Those buddy heaters can't keep up when the temperatures start dropping.

Welcome to the CRVL forums, Wes! Congratulations on the purchase of your new home! I'm really envious of the young adults that are drawn to this lifestyle early in life. Lucky you!!!

To help you learn the ins and outs of these forums, this "Tips & Tricks" post lists some helpful information to get you started. We look forward to hearing more from you.

Welcome!

I think it is great you have decided to live adventurously while you are young!! Congrats on your new van!