Eradicating aging as a cause of death

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

K1ngN0thing

Reaction score
Dr. Aubrey de Grey has brought about a paradigm shift with how we approach fighting aging with his charity SENS. Instead of slowing down the aging process, which only delays the inevitable, he proposes that we should simply do preventative maintenance on our bodies, repairing the damage like we would any other machine to keep it going. What's more, he's comprehensively defined this damage, which consists of 7 types, and has been challenging people for 13 years now to prove it wrong, and nobody has. With proper funding,  there's a chance many of us alive today will see significant results in our lifetime. Would you opt to live indefinitely? I know I would, and I can think of no rational argument against pursuing this goal.

K1ngN0thing said:
...Would you opt to live indefinitely?...

I don't think I would choose this. Although it is different than being "immortal" (no way in hell would I choose that lol), seeing as you could still die in an accident(until they eradicate accidents!). What happens when you feel you have lived enough and you want to pass on? If you wanted to pass on, how would this be accomplished? How would the people that love you/depend on you feel? How would it affect/change their lives? How do people in this age feel about people denying medical aid to themselves or others even though the medical aid is available and would save their/others life? Are there any moral/ethical issues if everybody chose to live 1000 years or more(over population, scarce resources, ext)?

For me, I am not positive that "death" is an ending to everything I might experience. In fact, I would gamble that death is not the final experience I will have. However, I am and always have been a horrible gambler. I will go when I go, and be thankful for every bit of life I got to live.

Would not go this route. There are too many people on the earth right now, subsidized by input of non-renewable energy resourses. We are way overextended, regarding sustainably supported population level. Age increasing efforts are obscene, a Western, third world conceit. Funding would be better spent on quality of life issues within a usual lifetime for a greater majority. Age extending efforts, like fertility studies, are globally not ethical, they are selfish pursuits.

LeeRevell said:
On many forums, this type of thread would be seen as SPAM. Just sayin'........

SPAM Patrol reporting for duty...:cool:

Lol Well, if it is SPAM, then I guess I should regret the time and thought I put into my first reply.

Would I want to live indefinitely?

No.

As the activities of life became more mundane with the passing of time, one would have to ever increase the novelty of events to make living bearable. Eventually, as acceptable options wane, one would eventually turn to the perverse.

Much as an adrenaline junkie does more and more dangerous stunts to get the same rush of yesterday. Eventually...

I've done all I've wished to do, accomplished what I set out to accomplish, and am content to spend my remaining time enjoying the beauty of the world - while it and I last.

Hey.. as long as I'm having fun, I wanna live. If that means forever.. great! Just keep the good times rollin'. ..Willy.

Best case, they do develop some miracle method of stopping aging......
It will be hyper expensive and made available only to those in the upper half-percentile of citizens who can afford it. You and I would never be given the chance to take part.
But if we could..... major uber-over-population will result.
We are already overdue for a mega-cull given Earth's history of cutting population growth of out-of-control organisms.

I may be have 10 or 15 years left! It's been a fantastic ride....I will be glad to go!

LeeRevell said:
It will be hyper expensive and made available only to those in the upper half-percentile of citizens who can afford it.  You and I would never be given the chance to take part.
But if we could.....     major uber-over-population will result.
We are already overdue for a mega-cull given Earth's history of cutting population growth of out-of-control organisms.

Another thought of mine, though I didn't voice it.

How long before the earth is incapable of supporting us?  There is only a geologically short period of time in which the earth will be inherently compatible with the human population. For whatever reason - and I'm not getting into THAT debate - the earth changes. It always has. I'm not sure I'll want to live in the enviroment of 100 years from now. No matter how hard it tries, mankind cannot stop the inexorable aging of the world, along with the inherent changes. Man may survive using technology, but I'm pretty sure I wouldn't like the conditions under which we'd be forced to survive.

Cry said:
I don't think I would choose this. Although it is different than being "immortal" (no way in hell would I choose that lol), seeing as you could still die in an accident(until they eradicate accidents!). What happens when you feel you have lived enough and you want to pass on? If you wanted to pass on, how would this be accomplished? How would the people that love you/depend on you feel? How would it affect/change their lives? How do people in this age feel about people denying medical aid to themselves or others even though the medical aid is available and would save their/others life? Are there any moral/ethical issues if everybody chose to live 1000 years or more(over population, scarce resources, ext)?

For me, I am not positive that "death" is an ending to everything I might experience. In fact, I would gamble that death is not the final experience I will have. However, I am and always have been a horrible gambler. I will go when I go, and be thankful for every bit of life I got to live.

I'm pretty sure death is the end, so it's probably harder for me and other non-religious people to just accept that we shouldn't strive to develop this technology. If you want to die, assisted suicide will be legal. It's already legal in a number of states, and, like marijuana and gay marriage, it's a trend that's not going to be stopped. And even if it were illegal, you could still choose to end your own life.

mconlonx said:
Would not go this route. There are too many people on the earth right now, subsidized by input of non-renewable energy resourses. We are way overextended, regarding sustainably supported population level. Age increasing efforts are obscene, a Western, third world conceit. Funding would be better spent on quality of life issues within a usual lifetime for a greater majority. Age extending efforts, like fertility studies, are globally not ethical, they are selfish pursuits.

The US throws away something like 40% of it's food. There are people who live out of dumpsters on the food that's thrown away. And it's all perfectly good! Businesses can't be bothered to get it to where it needs to be so they just dispose of it. Fixing inefficiencies like these will sustain a much larger number of people than we do today. Not to mention we already have ways of growing food indoors, vertically. Harnessing the sun's energy is constantly getting more efficient. There was recently a breakthrough on making liquid fuel from the sun's rays. There's also the work Elon Musk is doing with TESLA. As for living space, there is still plenty (won't be a need for so many graveyards either, how much space do they use?), and more and more people are opting to live tiny or on wheels. Globally not ethical, but yet benefits humanity as a whole. Doesn't compute. By that logic, we should stop funding cancer research. The amount put toward this research is dwarfed by that of cancer alone, and corrupt "charities" like Susan G. Komen keep the money for themselves. We'd do more to combat cancer by funding this rejuvenative research. Quality of life for a greater majority will be a result of these technologies, and we'd also happen to live longer as a result. Your argument doesn't hold much water.

gsfish said:
Recurring theme with all these groups. Methuselah Project, Fight Aging,etc. Give us money but no promises, just a chance.

Don't worry about overpopulation, IF this research ever bears fruit it will only be affordable for the top 0.001%.

From the SENS website. "Even after we have used these new therapies to repair an aging tissue, metabolic processes will continue to cause new damage. This simply means that rejuvenation biotechnologies are not a one-off fix, but will need to be periodically repeated to preserve youthful function. Just as cars need regular rounds of oil changes and spark plug replacements to keep them running smoothly, people will need to go in to rejuvenation clinics to keep up with their regenerative treatments to continue postponing age-related disease."

Bottom line is that this is all just speculation. One small part of this overall research is to cure cancer and how long has that been going on? Once they cure all forms of cancer they can then go on to the other six forms of "damage". Send them money now.

Sorry, I'm the ultimate skeptic.

Guy

I'd be weary of any scientific venture that promises anything. They are not developing a product with pre-determined features. They're not selling anything. They're working on loosely defined, complicated problems yet have the most practical approach of anyone. Disregarding the fact that there are populations shrinking today (Japan, South Korea) and the fact that you're forgetting about all of the other advances in technology that will be happening alongside this over the years, how is overpopulation a worse problem than the 100k people lost every day to aging? Overpopulation is a cinch to deal with in comparison, and I've no doubts we'd be able to adapt. Not to mention, we're going to be branching out into space.

You assume only the super rich will afford it, yet the technologies that will be needed to implement these methods, when they are worked out, already exists. It will likely be subsidized by taxes. If it WERE only available to the super rich, there would be riots like you've never seen before. All of these are not as big a problem as 100k people dying slow, painful deaths every day.

You're misunderstanding cancer as one of the types of damage. Yes, one of the types of damage typically leads to cancer, but the way we've combated cancer until now has hardly been preventative. With this approach, we'd stop the cancer from ever developing by fixing the damage before it becomes a problem. All of the work already being done on cancer only means SENS has to spend less time on this type of damage. There is also the Prevent Cancer Foundation which works on early detection.

As for it not being a one-off fix, if you'd gone a little deeper into the information you'd have heard the once every 10 years estimate. If we can manufacture as many flu vaccines as we do every year, I'm sure we can manufacture enough of these drugs for the entire population every 10 years.

Seraphim said:
Would I want to  live indefinitely?

No.  

As the activities of life became more mundane with the passing of time, one would have to ever increase the novelty of events to make living bearable.  Eventually, as acceptable options wane, one would eventually turn to the perverse.

Much as an adrenaline junkie does more and more dangerous stunts to get the same rush of yesterday. Eventually...

I've done all I've wished to do, accomplished what I set out to accomplish, and am content to spend my remaining time enjoying the beauty of the world - while it and I last.

I think life becomes more mundane and passes more quickly as a partial side effect of aging. Mind and body are one, after all. Do you remember being so bored in your mid 20s? That's the proposed biological age we'd be able to achieve with these technologies.

As for the novelty problem, I already feel like I'll never learn about everything I want to. If you're bored with life, you're just not looking in the right places. Not to mention the technologies that will be developed in the future. Virtual reality, for example.

LeeRevell said:
It will be hyper expensive and made available only to those in the upper half-percentile of citizens who can afford it.  You and I would never be given the chance to take part.
But if we could.....     major uber-over-population will result.

See above.

Seraphim said:
Another thought of mine, though I didn't voice it.

How long before the earth is incapable of supporting us?  There is only a geologically short period of time in which the earth will be inherently compatible with the human population. For whatever reason - and I'm not getting into THAT debate - the earth changes. It always has. I'm not sure I'll want to live in the enviroment of 100 years from now. No matter how hard it tries, mankind cannot stop the inexorable aging of the world, along with the inherent changes. Man may survive using technology, but I'm pretty sure I wouldn't like the conditions under which we'd be forced to survive.

Energy use/production is becoming more efficient year after year. Yes, our population might (there's room for debate) be pushing it for our CURRENT technologies, but that's largely a result of inefficient distribution and implementation. These problems are really non-issues in the face of 100k people dying slow, painful deaths every day.

You don't have to live in that kind of future. You are free to die, and I'm sure you wouldn't be alone in that regard, but I can state with relative certainty that the number of people who choose to die despite this new technology will drop over time. Like any new tech, there is an adoption rate. I'm not sure what you mean when you say "aging of the world," or why you're so certain of mankind's future ability to stop it.

There is a huge amount of money being spent on cancer, alzheimers, heart disease research and treatment. Let's face it, taking care of the elderly isn't cheap. The savings that would result in getting ahead of these diseases by never letting the damage become pathogenic dwarfs what it would take to develop these therapies. If you're against this goal, then you either think there's a good age at which people should get sick, or you're in favor of perfectly healthy people dying once they  reach a certain age.

The sky is full of birds, and this is one big rock.

K1ngN0thing said:
...I'm pretty sure death is the end, so it's probably harder for me and other non-religious people to just accept that we shouldn't strive to develop this technology...

Whether death is or isn't the end is not always based on religious beliefs. I know this because my views on "death" are not based on any religious dogma. I think that the Universe being a type of virtual experience is much more probable than it being run by a God or Gods. Saying that, there are numerous other possibilities that could explain a "life after death" type scenario. Assuming that it is just religion vs science morality/ethics argument is shortsighted at best. There is quantity of life and then there is quality of life. I think most people would choose quality of life over quantity of life. However, any that would choose quantity over quality, I would have no problem with their decision, as long as their choice for quantity didn't seriously impact my choice for quality.

IF this idea came to fruition, it would skew the normal Human working life cycle. Imagine working for forty years, then retiring. Today, you look forward, realistically, to maybe twenty to thirty more years, if you are lucky and have good genes.
But what if suddenly you have another sixty years, or more, ahead? Current legal retirement ages would need to be changed, and you'll find yourself having to work far longer. If the benefits are only given to few, then there will be a natural spreading of the different levels of society. The poor work hard for shorter time but die sooner. The rich work longer but at a slower pace, and live much longer. That will engender a resentment on the less fortunate. Just something to think about. And if everyone gets the benefit, we end up with a LOT of idle time...... many turn to crime when they get bored.
I don't know how society would change - maybe for the better, maybe a lot worse?

There would be so many repercussions if death were eradicated that I won't go on and on about them. As far as my personal wishes I would rather not live forever. Besides death may not be a bad thing at all. How can we know until it happens to us? There may be another form of existence better than what we have here and I choose to place my trust in that thought.

LeeRevell said:
IF this idea came to fruition, it would skew the normal Human working life cycle.  Imagine working for forty years, then retiring.  Today, you look forward, realistically, to maybe twenty to thirty more years, if you are lucky and have good genes.
But what if suddenly you have another sixty years, or more, ahead?  Current legal retirement ages would need to be changed, and you'll find yourself having to work far longer.  If the benefits are only given to few, then there will be a natural spreading of the different levels of society.  The poor work hard for shorter time but die sooner.  The rich work longer but at a slower pace, and live much longer.  That will engender a resentment on the less fortunate.  Just something to think about.  And if everyone gets the benefit, we end up with a LOT of idle time......    many turn to crime when they get bored.
I don't know how society would change - maybe for the better, maybe a lot worse?
So retire, then go into an entirely new field. Humanity would benefit from new perspectives coming in from other areas of expertise. Aubrey himself went from artificial intelligence work to what he's doing now, for example.

You're making a lot of assumptions about the future working world. Even so, all of these problems are a lot easier to solve than that of aging, and are problems worth having. Every new technology brings with it new problems to solve, but they still solve bigger problems in the first place.

gsfish said:
IF this technology existed there is no way that it would be universally available even if it was relatively inexpensive (it would of course be obscenely expensive). Don't forget, we live in a world where the sky is the limit for war toys but nearly a million children die each year from dehydration caused by diarrhea. Most of these kids could be saved with the help of rehydration fluids consisting of water, salts and sugar, pennies to make. Of course the cause is usually a lack of a clean water source. Providing safe water would also be a relatively cheap investment to save lives. Soooooo, universal life extending treatments? Or more toys? This is just one example of many.

LeeRevel, don't worry about retirement, you will need to work forever to keep paying for your treatments so you can live forever.

Might make a good SF movie though, if it hasn't already.

Also reminds me of the rumor way back when that Keith Richards underwent whole body blood transfusions to flush the drugs out of his system. HA!

Go Willy!!!

Guy

Even if your assumptions (which are based on what exactly?) turn out to be correct, at least humanity would have the treatments in the first place. If the super rich are the first to have access to it, over time it'll become cheaper, as it is with any technology. SENS is a charity, not a company.

All we can make at this point ARE assumptions, just as the ones pushing this concept are making assumptions. All life is about making assumptions, on how well our health holds up, on what we will be able to accomplish and where we will finally end up. I stand steadfastly by MY assumptions. They are as valid as any others. When my time comes in a couple decades (I am almost 58 now) I do expect to 'go quietly into the night', and make room for the next generation. While it might be interesting to extend one's life a few decades, IF one can afford it, I do NOT want to be immortal.

King

I said 'mundane', not bored. I was often bored when I was young. No longer. The mind and body are one only if you permit it. Sounds like a waste of a perfectly good mind. But we are in excellent shape, physically and mentally. But eventually, I think, an honest mind comes to the conclusion man is a parasite. He has convinced himself the world was put here entirely for his use, and does with it as he will. In the 70s, I was one of the hopeful optimists: we realized the dangers of oh-so-many things, and we would make the world a better place. Obviously, that did not happen. A topic for a different discussion.

As for your second question, mankind is very good at mouthing words, making promises to himself and others, but is not very good at making personal sacrifices for the good of everyone else. You asked about the planets aging - planets have cycles like any other organic material. It was created in fire, cooled below freezing, and warmed again - all without human intervention. Organic life of various species have come and gone. Weather patterns are changing, atmosphere is weakening, resources are being used up and the nature upon which life depends is being destroyed. Even without our interference, the world gets older and changes. Eventually it will be incapable of supporting life further, on its own. And no, I don't expect humankind to suddenly lose its self-serving nature and make personal sacrifices for the good of the world. Most are merely trying to survive, and breed.

Politicians may try to score political points by seeming concerned, but most is lip service, and there is actually little they can actually do. They promise to try - to attempt to reach benchmarks in 20 or 50 years. But those are merely benchmarks to slow down environmental destruction, not stop or reverse it.

One day Earth - who knows when - will no longer be able to sustain humanity as it has in the past. The sun, too changes, and will one day be unable to maintain that narrow band of radiation in which life can survive. Can science permit an entire population to survive on a barren world - too much radiation or insufficient? A world of total drought or a world of ice? Maybe. But for someone who has loved nature so much, how can that be desirable? Or bearable?

You asked us if we wished to live 'forever.'.I said 'no', then you chose to debate me. It is a debate you cannot win. Forever is a long time. Forever goes beyond the life of our sun. I would not desire to exist in a world void of nature. Immortality has been a topic of consideration for millennia. Philosophers, religions, science fiction writers, ponder the question because men fear death. They cannot imagine - individually or as a race - a universe at which they are not the center.

Men are fools. I pretty much consider the human race as nothing more than a source of entertainment which has no intrinsic value - no purpose - beyond self propagation and its ability to destroy. Yes, it can create, but it's creations are totally self serving, and in the very process of creation, it still destroys. The world, and every other creature on it, would have been better off without us.