Easiest and most Portable Electrical Setup

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HotSpringsCyclist

Reaction score
I am hoping to know the easiest, most portable, and most securable electrical system I can work up.  Most important issues:  I often move my setup from vehicle to vehicle.  Buy em cheap, and run em til they wear out.  I also have kids who hop in and out, and crash through everything - so my system needs to be able to be so kids can't whack everything and break everything... lost quite a few USB and cigarette lighter things this way.  I saw the Goal Zero 1000 at Costco - that looked durable and portable.  I don't know if I want to drill through the roof of every rig I run, but I could store a panel inside the rig and set the whole system outside while it charges, maybe.

One caveat in older vehicles, is 99% of the time, the cigarette lighters and electrical systems and music players are shot - so my (music options, especially!) are limited to rechargable bluetooth speakers. My favorite so far is the Ryobi speaker - durable and loud enough to hear in the back of the car, no tiny parts to break or loose. I also love the Ryobi fan! But charging batteries with batteries... seems to be a net waste of energy. So... tell me about music options and the Goal Zero 1000, and any other system you think might work for my situation.

We have a Dodge Caravan, a Ford Freestar, and a Ford Focus 5 speed.  We are not full-time on the road, but spend a week on the road each month.

Things I plan to run:  Vitamix, Instant Pot, and laptops for the kids' homeschool and watching documentaries/movies, and charging phones.  I have seen videos where people test the Goal Zero 1000 on the Vitamix and Instant Pots, and it seems to work.

What should I do, in your experience - tell me what you know!

Thanks!

Angie (HotSpringsCyclist)

Overall the goal zero product is pretty durable but do check the recharge times they list in the adds for the model your thinking about buying. Both solar or 120v charging will take a full day to recharge and even then probably not enough to use that evening, repeatedly. The deeper the discharger on day one (evening) the longer it takes to recharge on day two with bright sun. This is true with the AGM battery Yeti or the Lithium battery version.

If you want your own mobile electric power plant as most of us would like I'd suggest supplementing the Yeti with an efficient quiet generator like a Honda 2200i that sips gas. You could charge any 12V battery run device as well as finish off the Yeti charging for evening use when you want things to quiet down some.

just my 2¢

HotSpringsCyclist said:
 I don't know if I want to drill through the roof of every rig I run, but I could store a panel inside 

I have a Ford Windstar, same as Freestar.  I have a 100 watt solar panel bolted (4 bolts 8 nuts) to the roof rack that was standard from Ford.  The two wires are zip tied above and held in place with vinyl electrical tape where they come in through the top front corner of the second door.  There is a gap where the driver's door top rear and second door meet.  The rubber door gasket seals around the wires.  

I upgraded the starter battery when I needed a new battery.  Clearly not a highly portable solution but having the big deep cycle battery in the original engine compartment location does make it kid resistant.  

Of course it depends on actual utilization but an electric instant pot cooker and a high power blender and multiple laptops for movies sounds like a lot particularly with kids.  Enough battery for a week will be big.  A single 100 watt solar panel will extend your time by double if it makes 1/2 of what you use daily.  

Get a "Kill A Watt" 120 volt consumption meter and use it at home with the laptops, Vita Mix, and Insta Pot.  Until you have a clear idea of how much electricity you want your choice of Goal Zero 1000 is based on durable looks and it worked on you tube.  Do you want to do all of these electrical activities every day?  Is only 2 days per trip enough?

Thanks folks for all your ideas. Super ideas! I think we want to keep the energy consumption to, like you mentioned, Trebor, to just a couple days out of the week. Mostly during drive times. Bored kids make everyone miserable! I like your idea of getting a different/better battery for the engine compartment/starter battery... clever idea. That sounds easy to do.

And Matlock - the Honda generator... good idea for recharges on longer trips with the Yeti - {nods head approvingly}

So... recharge times can vary.... hm. There is so much to look into. I am seeing the best way to learn this is to just DO it! Thank you folks for commenting.

See y'all out there!

-Angie

HotSpringsCyclist said:
  I like your idea of getting a different/better battery for the engine compartment/starter battery... clever idea.  That sounds easy to do.

Warning:  my battery uses water as it is a lead - antimony alloy to be deep cycle rather than lead - calcium alloy to be maintenance free.  Once a month I add 20 to 30 ml of distilled water to each cell.  That takes 5 minutes.  Without the watering I think a cell or 2 would have exposed plates in 6 months killing the battery.

I don't understand the issue. You can charge the goal zero using your car while you are driving. Also they make folding suitcase style solar panels. The carrying case will protect it from kids. But most of all you need to get your children under control and teach them not to be destructive. If you allow them to act carelessly in the car then you are not teaching them to take care of what they own and what you have worked hard to be able to purchase. There is no excuse for not teaching them to control their bodies in situations where they need to move carefully and act calmly. Being inside of a vehicle is absolutely one of those situations.

dklassen said:
Inergy Kodiak. Better than goal zero. Recharges a lot faster to.

Which model Kodiak do you have and why is it better?
Curious minds want to know. :)

I come here to get good ideas to steal from others. I come here to offer my experience. I don't appreciate hearing bitching about others lifestyle not being as perfect as wished. It gets tired.