Dry shampoo?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ganchan

Reaction score
I've seen this stuff at local Walgreens, but never tried it. Does it actually get the hair clean?

I was planning on washing my hair over a water-filled plastic tub, but this might be a useful alternative assuming that it actually works. Not too thrilled about keeping any unnecessary aerosol products on board, though....

six weeks ago we ran into someone we hadn't seen in ages, we were told her kids 6 and 10, after some talk and getting into the subject, had never used shampoo in their lives except the ten year old had tried at a friends a few times. I had read about this some time back, and the benefits for keeping natural oils in your hair, their hair was in great shape didn't look dirty or greasy.
Guess what,! I have been doing this for the last month or more, no soap or shampoo, I got a little soft finger nail brush and I scrub my body, including my hair. My hair is not greasy, looks fuller, my wife says I don't smell, and nobody else has noticed, go figure. Is it another one of those myths that Johnson and Johnson have been telling us. I still wash my hands with soap after using the toilet.

I quit shampooing my hair (with shampoo) and began using baking soda and water. I only have to do this once a week and my hair has never been in better shape. A vinegar rinse of half vinegar/half water every two or three weeks also. I will NEVER go back to commercial shampoo. I have used the dry shampoo -- it's OK in an emergency but i wouldn't use it on a regular basis.

A good friend has been stuck in a hospital bed a lot lately and has been using the dry shampoo. She said it isn't her favorite but it does the job for now.
My solution was to shave my head and only keep a little goatee. I'm really liking it! That's probably not much of an option for you ladies, though.

My profile pic is 3 years old and I haven't cut my hair since.  My hair is almost to my waist, and I've been washing it 3 or 4 times a week and re-braiding it.  I'm going to try not washing it for awhile, just brushing it out and re-braiding.

Been using apple cider vinegar and a conditioner for a few years now (long, fine hair) - no more dandruff and itchy scalp.
Wash every 3 days usually- wet hair, massage in vinegar, brush well, rinse, apply conditioner, brush well, rinse.

KayakGirl said:
I quit shampooing my hair (with shampoo) and began using baking soda and water.  I only have to do this once a week and my hair has never been in better shape.  A vinegar rinse of half vinegar/half water every two or three weeks also.  I will NEVER go back to commercial shampoo.  I have used the dry shampoo -- it's OK in an emergency but i wouldn't use it on a regular basis.

What ratio do you use? Does it rinse easily? Sounds like something to try.

I've went without washing my hair for several days, but it gets nasty. Full of gritty dirt and dust and bark. And when I wake up, I have bed head. Wetting it doesn't take care of it as well as washing it. Maybe I haven't given it long enough and need to go longer than 5 days to start getting good results?

Some of the brands of dry shampoo or no-poo as they call it now are pretty decent from what I hear---my daughter likes one because it's handier than corn starch. Dry shampoo was around years ago for a few years---think QT was the brand I used. Switched to corn starch instead, but I don't use it anymore. The dry shampoos and corn starch are really only stop gap measures between washes for people with oily hair from what I've experienced and seen---they absorb the oil.

I once saw that you can use dry quaker oats to dry wash your hair.

My girlfriend uses the dry shampoo and she loves it. Now that I have hair I might try it as well however I like the idea of not washing them to see what it would look like.