Biodegradable Soaps, Shampoos

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
sneaks said:
Like saying "organic matter." Welp, arsenic is an organic matter. So is lead.

Nope.  Arsenic (#33) and lead (#82) are elements, not organic.  Organic must be compounds that have carbon in their molecular structure, like petroleum products.

Spaceman Spiff said:
Nope.  Arsenic (#33) and lead (#82) are elements, not organic.  Organic must be compounds that have carbon in their molecular structure, like petroleum products.

Sorry, I shouldn't have been specific yet vague at the same time. Yes, they both are elements, but appear in the environment, waste, and ground water in organic compounds such as monomethyl arsenic, arsanilic acid, methylarsonic acid, dimethylarsinic acid , arsenobetaine, lead tetraethyl, and lead tetramethyl, all which can oxidiatively dealkylated in the human body. 

I am preparing to go on the road and am anticipating primarily boon docking type camping. I know many soaps we use for washing dishes, bodies, and hair don't break down easily and I wanted to find products that will clean but then biodegrade once used, particularly if drained into the sand with wastewater.

Of course I'm bypassing the reality of conserving water, alternative methods of cleaning, etc. here. But I do want to use products that will have low impact on the environment. Any suggestions for biodegradable soaps, shampoos, etc.?
A bar of Pearl glycerine soap from dollar tree lasts a long long time.

I wash a LOT less than I used to, if for no other reason than the lack of hot running water in my van. But also, I'm no longer living in a humid region. I sweat far less.

I can go a week or so before I start smelling funky. I "bathe" with a washcloth dampened with about a cup of water and a couple of drops of rinse-free perineal wash. Then, a couple of times a month, when a standard shower is handy, I indulge in a nice long hot one, which is less about cleaning and more about the tactile experience. It feels good. It feels even better when it's rare rather than daily.
this rinse-free perineal wash . . . is it on Amazon?
what do you think about washing with a vinegar spray bottle? i wander if that leaves a bad smell

Please people stop saying EVERYTHING is biodegradable - it is simply NOT true.

bi·o·de·grad·a·ble
/ˌbīōdəˈɡrādəb(ə)l/
Learn to pronounce
adjective
(of a substance or object) capable of being decomposed by bacteria or other living organisms.
"consumers have forced a shift to more biodegradable products

Organic is another one. So you in a store and these tomatoes say organic and those over there don't. Does that mean they are not organic? what are they then inorganic? Until recently organic meant it came from or once was a living thing. None of this other marketing stuff.

Highdesertranger
In the case of food items it implies that no artificial growth stimulants were used to increase crop production.

Dr. Bronners Castile Soap is the best for all cleaning. I used a drop for cleaning and a liter lasts a long time. Plus, the Peppermint makes everything smell great too! https://www.drbronner.com/media-center/press-release/go-zero-waste-dr-bronners/
A friend of mine traveled to Escondido, Ca to interview Dr Bronner years ago. Quite an interesting character, You get a hint by reading what's on the label. I'll have to contact my friend to get a copy of the interview as mine is long gone. I find the peppermint burns my skin a bit.

A friend of mine traveled to Escondido, Ca to interview Dr Bronner years ago. Quite an interesting character, You get a hint by reading what's on the label. I'll have to contact my friend to get a copy of the interview as mine is long gone. I find the peppermint burns my skin a bit.

I'm a big fan of the almond myself. I've often seen Dr Bs at Marshall's and TJ Maxx for less than most places.

find the peppermint burns my skin a bit
Ah, I always thought that tingling was doing its job. But if Peppermint is not good, go for a different scent that you like.

Please see if the interview is available, I’d love to see it. One of his daughters does the social media and newsletters now, so I occasionally read how to do even better cleaning or a new way with something.

As it says on the bottle "Dilute! Dilute! Dilute!"

been using Dr.Bronners since I was a little kid. Guess that means my parents were hippies?
There is a documentary about Dr.Bronner. Forget the name since I saw it at a festival.
Oh here we go
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0881909/
I used to get the bottles for years. Since they came out with bars I use that for most stuff. Even dishes.
They are only $4-5 and don't spill everywhere.

this rinse-free perineal wash . . . is it on Amazon?
what do you think about washing with a vinegar spray bottle? i wander if that leaves a bad smell
I have been using this no-rinse wash from Walmart

No Rinse Body Bath

It has worked well as daily bird baths between showers. I put a capful in an 8oz. spray bottle of water, then wipe. So easy and I feel clean.

You use very little from the spray bottle so it really is cost effective. Also saves so much water.

Last edited: