dry milk anyone use it??

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
'Caribbean Joy' brand coconut milk from Dollar Tree is smooth, creamy, and great on oatmeal! Anybody ever try it in coffee?

Snow Gypsy said:
 NOTE:  It does not dissolve easy in a liquid, you are not just going to stir it in.

Have you done it with hot liquid then? I know the dry milk I use takes a bit more stirring than powdered creamer stuff.

Vacilador said:
'Caribbean Joy' brand coconut milk from Dollar Tree is smooth, creamy, and great on oatmeal!  Anybody ever try it in coffee?

I haven't tried coconut milk in my coffee but I do enjoy coconut oil in my coffee upon occasion where I want coffee with a bit more je ne sais quoi. Helps me get enough calories in a supposedly healthy way---the jury goes both ways on whether it's bad for you or good for you for anyone that wants to tell me it's bad.

jimindenver said:
They would also get milk on sale and freeze it. That never tasted right either.

When I was little, my grandmother did the frozen (real) milk thing.  I'm guessing it was something she learned during the great depression or wartime.
It took quite a while, but eventually my siblings and I were able to convince her that it ruined the taste.  

I also grew up on powdered milk.  It wasn't great even then, but we didn't know any better so it was what it was and we accepted it.  
At first we got the Carnation stuff in the big, red and white box.  The kind you poured out through the little, metal spout.  
Later we discovered the "good stuff", in the orange and white box, that came in separate packets.  

Though I haven't tried it lately, I like the idea of using powdered milk for extended trips when I don't or can't rely on refrigeration.  I wouldn't drink the stuff by itself, but rather use in my breakfast cereal or in cocoa.  

Looking back it always seems funny that we got our milk out of a box, but our cereal was sold in a carton like we now use to hold milk.  :p

Does anyone else remember granola coming in a carton like milk does now?

I use non fat powdered milk.  I usually make  1qt at a time the night before I plan to use it.  The gravy and low sugar instant pudding that's made with it SUCKS BIG GREEN BOOGERS as one grandson put it,  I agree.  I have made a small amt. and added ice cubes to cool it down for cereal when I forgot to make it the night before.

Jewellann

I used powdered goats milk all last winter while travelling.

I'm lactose intolerant and here I can buy 10% lactose free milk by the quart. Nowhere in the western US was I able to find it and a quart of goats milk was somewhere in the $5.00 a quart range. Since I only use it for tea and the occasional use in cooking I generally get about a week to 10 days from a quart. The 10% keeps for that long but goats milk won't so the powdered milk came in real handy...I mixed up about a cup at a time. It also took up less space in the fridge...lol.

When we were poor in the 80s we would get powdered milk. I wouldn't have known we were poor if it wasn't for powdered milk. It tastes evil.

I love milk. The organic lahdi dah milk from the health section is the best. I don't put to much stock in most health labels, but I can taste it in whole milk.  I have to pour it into shot size glasses so I don't drink a quart of it at a time.

I had this conversation with a guy at work, he said he loved powdered milk, I said if he liked the taste of powdered milk I could suggest some other things for him to eat that tasted about the same. Turns out he grew up on a dairy farm and the powdered milk there was meant for the types of mammals that are supposed to drink milk, baby cows, and therefor not fat free.

I have not tried any whole fat powdered milk, but some friends have told me its great. I don't want to be that guy with a brick of powdered milk and a spoon.
Hank

Bob's Red Mill - basically for baking. It will clump and even in my Vitamixer, I have to work to pry it from the side to mix. It did no better with hot liquids. Now, you could put it in a jar and shake the crap out of it and pour it and it will be fine. If you stir it in straight, clump and sticks to the side of the container.

I just don't even bother with milk period, I weaned myself off milk in coffee, and since I don't eat cereal, no reason to have it for that
If I want milk and cookies, I get almond milk

Despite some beliefs, there is no powdered milk available where the cows were treated better or worse than any other milk cow. If you want environmentally friendly milk, you are left with fresh milk, locally available.

You can have your own cow, and carry her along in her own little trailer behind your van. If you go down too many rough roads, it comes out as butter and skim milk.

no no if you take the butter out you are left with buttermilk

I stand corrected. The milk left from making butter is buttermilk; the milk left after skimming the cream off (to make butter) is skim milk. But that's when people do it --- I'm not sure what it's called when the cow does it.

jimindenver said:
no no if you take the butter out you are left with buttermilk

Sort of.  Most butter milk is in fact cultured.

There are essentially three processes that milk undergoes before it is put in the grocery store; homogenization, pasteurization and fat separation.  Whole milk before it is homogenized will separate naturally into milk and cream.  You make butter from cream not milk.  This is the basic fat separation process old school style.  According to my grand mother (1900-1992) who grew up churning butter for her family the milk left over after being skimmed for the cream to make butter was called ... MILK.  The watery stuff left over in the butter churn was called hog slop.  Now they do it with machines mostly. 

Homogenized whole milk has been processed in a way that will prevent the cream from separating from the milk.  To make low fat or skim milk they remove the fat to certain percentages and then sell the milk and use the cream/butter fat for butter and other products. 

Pasteurization of course if heating to high temperature and then quickly cooling the milk to kill germs.

Butter milk on the other hand has dozens of preparations and again is typically cultured like yogurt.  Since most cultures that harvest dairy also allow the milk to separate in to milk and cream, butter milk is also usually a skimmed or low fat milk base that is then allowed to sour in a particular way.  The recipe and particular yeast/bacteria/curdling agent does vary from place to place.  Butter milk is common from North Africa, the middle East, the Asian step and all over Europe.

Coffee junkie too. Its about the only thing use milk for. Occasionally in cooking.
*every* morning I make a quad shot mocha. Rancillio Rocky grinder and Silva espresso machine.
I've run out of real milk and mix up some powdered here and there. Zero probs for me.
Best to mix up, with 5-10% less water and a few hours ahead of time if possible.
Also can be added to instant mashed potatoes (I know, but I do love 'em)

not a fan of dry milk, but it does come in handy for cooking and baking...my travel mate likes the stuff but he doctors it up with
some vanilla to give it a better taste, not much just a few drops to a quart re hydrated...
for me nothing but the real stuff will do, especially if I'm craving a glass of chocolate milk, made with Hershey's syrup...yum!
Don't keep a gallon of milk on hand like we did when in a stick & brick, just a quart,so  I buy it more often.I still find myself having to discard it at times because we don't use it up fast enough...or I try to find recipes that use soured milk in them and use it up that way...mainly cakes and such...

Have been using it in some baking for years .
Almond milk for drinking (which is available vanilla and chocolate flavored)

I hate to be the bearer of bad news but most of the milk you buy in liquid form is from powder, the largest milk processors on the planet are quietly turning it into powder, in large kilns,mastering the outcome, going unnoticed while taking a perishable product, extending shelf life gaining a better handle on supplying the market, making it easier to transport as well. Dairy products are not very good for you, nor are dairy farms good for the planet, your water supply, the fish and the oceans, It is a very dirty business, cows are now kept constantly pregnant and in barns all their lives, It is major cause of obesity, heart decease, cancers and bone deceases, contrary to popular belief, it is not a healthy product and if you love your children you should get informed, a good place to start is the documentary The Truth about Milk. They now sell powdered soya milk.

Dan Dan Noodles
1/4 cup Chunky peanut butter
1 Tbsp powdered milk <<<----
1 Tbsp soy sauce
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1/2 tsp ginger powder
drops of water
(mix together for sauce, toss with hot linguini)
garnish with
julian carrots
julian cucumber
julian green onion

Haven't done the powdered milk(when I was young it was cheap and the parents used it), however, a scoop or two of hot cocoa mixed into a full pot of coffee is great! We also like to sprinkle cinnamon on top of the dry coffee before its brewed for a nice twist to our morning coffee.