Drugs for nomads???

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Grizzly708

Reaction score
I will be heading out full time this fall if all goes according to plan. (we know that works every time ). A quick overview of my situation......10 year cancer survivor of stage 4 head & neck cancer. I am on SSDI for that and many other reasons. I take 44mg of welbutrin as well as celebrex.  I am wondering how many people were able to at least cut med doses by going nomad?

I have been able to get off my antidepressants and lower the dosage of a few other medications. I am also on SSDI for an autoimmune disease.

Congrats on the 10 years post cancer. That is wonderful!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The dualistic nature of traditional medicine into the two boxes of mental and physical is flawed. Our mental processes are physically based and I personally **believe** that mental issues including depression and anxiety are in fact largely 'physical' in nature - environmental pollutants and food contamination via preservatives, pesticides, and herbicides, as well as exercise.

There is substantial evidence for this and many holistic medical treatments are directed at these effects. Perhaps most curious is the historical diagnosis of 'neurasthenia' first appearing in Britain with the industrial revolution and in America as those practices spread here.

These systems work in both directions and stress, including self-induced, can make you physically sicker. I believe this is the same mechanism as the placebo effect, which also has a negative side.

I was only on anti-depressants for a short time, the Pacific Northwest Winter of my house foreclosure. I definitely had withdrawal symptoms.

Make sure you have a doctor that is responsive to your feedback on all your medicines, including your desire to end anti-depressant use. Be careful, there are definitely forces in the medical system that abusively seek to create dependency - especially in medicaid.

Ask your doctor.

Seeking medical advice on the Internet is always a bad idea.

Read Lenny's post again.^^^

If you can't get decent answers from your doctor, find another doctor.

How do people get prescription meds that they can't or don't want to get off of?

Kevin Carney said:
How do people get prescription meds that they can't or don't want to get off of?

I travel to my home base to see my doctor every four months. I get my prescriptions at a nation wide chain so I can fill the script anywhere I am camped.

I was on Prozac, Xanax, Celebrex, OxyContin and Keira...
I was also a heavy drinker.
Six months on the road, I gave them all up, ALL of them.
Disclaimer:
I am a medical marijuana user and a kratom user, both of which are completely organic and legal in most places. I am willing to risk the MMJ thing as I don't plan to spend a lot of time in non medical areas and never carry more than personal amounts.

Point is this, having my life and freedom back has taken away my anxiety and depression, healthy eating and excersise has reduced my pain levels to be tolerable with just kratom and ibuprofen.

THIS IS NOT MEDICAL ADVICE
Simply my personal experiences, but anyone who knows me will attest that I was a HEAVY drinker from 7 AM till bed time. No rehab, no AA, just the road, fresh air and natural medicine.
No I am not some lazy "Pot Head" looking for an excuse to get stoned. I do enjoy the calm and pain relief I get from my herb, but you will rarely see me pie eyed.
Good luck to you.
Peace Love and Light
bLEEps

^^^  bLEEp is telling the truth.  

A lifestyle free of the stress of society has done wonders for him.  

As for the rest of it...  He is looking better than ever.

I have always been pretty stress-free, ever since I was a teen. Mostly because I have found (1) very few things are actually worth worrying over, and (2) worrying about them doesn't help anyway.

A good documentary is called "The Gerson Miracle". Dr. Gerson testified before Congress long long time ago with tons of proof of cancer cures through his treatment. He is one of the major contributors to the juicing method. Beliefs are important and should be paid attention to. We are incredible human beings. WalMart is everywhere and a good place to be able to refill prescriptions. Bob talks about (in one of his videos) the importance of having certain must-do trips being within easy travel of where you spend your time. Medical is one of them, your doctor visits for your scripts and also to make sure they are a good fit as that can change time to time. Many of us, certainly me included, ignore some of the parts of our health that we could take control over. I've been thinking about going public with a diet I would like to start just because if it is public I might stay on it stronger than if no boday is watching. My hips are carrying too much weight. My belly is sticking over my jeans waist band when I sit (not good for long drives). Fat, Sick and Nearly Dead is an outstanding documentary about lowering med doeses but he does it a good way with doctor supervision. Worth watching both of these docs.

TrainChaser said:
Read Lenny's post again.^^^

If you can't get decent answers from your doctor, find another doctor.

Like the old joke, "What do you call the guy that graduated dead last in his class"?
You call him Doctor. ....

I am sure that was written about my doctor so it's lost some humor for me.

Kevin Carney said:
Lots go to Mexico to get them.  Bob wells has a video showing where to park, etc. They are a lot cheaper than in the US. If you go to RTR in Jan, there will be a caravan going down.

If your a veteran, you can go thru the va and get them.

I have my scrips through the Costco mail-in pharmacy (NOT through a store). I go online to request refills and they mail them to me. I believe W*Mart has a mail service, and I'd bet other chains do as well.

There was a time in my life when I was working so I could have health insurance so I could get Prozac so I could keep on working. I managed to find a less stressful job that still paid decent, and dropped the Prozac. When I needed it, I needed it, but I am so grateful to not need it anymore. Stress really is a killer.

I have wondered about getting prescriptions as well. I have a mail service through Humana for maintenance meds. Would a mail forwarding service be able to send those on? They are refilled for 90 days at a time, if that even matters. I can't imagine that i could get them cheaper in Mexico, but just in case, should i have the paper prescriptions in hand for that Algodones trip? Thx to anyone who would care to answer.

Sent from my LG-M327 using Tapatalk

Linda Cripple-Creek said:
I have wondered about getting prescriptions as well. I have a mail service through Humana for maintenance meds. Would a mail forwarding service be able to send those on? They are refilled for 90 days at a time, if that even matters. I can't imagine that i could get them cheaper in Mexico, but just in case, should i have the paper prescriptions in hand for that Algodones trip? Thx to anyone who would care to answer.

Sent from my LG-M327 using Tapatalk

Thanks Linda!  You took the words out of my mouth!  I was also wondering if you need a script to get meds in Mexico.  I saw the video of Bob getting his bp meds a year at a time in Mexico.  I am finishing up my van and plan to be full time the first week of Nov.  I will be heading to the RTR and then to Mexico to get my meds.  The problem is I have not yet been healed by the lifestyle and have to take ambien to sleep.  I imagine doubly so during my transition to sleeping in a van.  I am worried what the US border guards would say if I tried to come back across w a yrs supply of ambien?   Does anyone have any information on what prescriptions can be brought back over the border?

I am a Vet but have never used or applied for any VA benefits.  Not sure if I could w/o a permanent address.

I have a friend that takes ambien. He said it isn't sold in the reputable pharmacies and that it can be confiscated when returning to the USA. This is second hand information, so I can't verify complete accuracy. But this guy has never bullshitted me before.

Latest posts