drop shipping

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

K1ngN0thing

Reaction score
when I was still in my RV most of my money came from drop shipping. I'm not sure this particular method will be enough to live on anymore, but it can be a nice supplemental chunk without too much effort. I put together a free guide which you can download here: https://payhip.com/b/7maU

interesting but sounds a bit sketchy. not much in the way of positive reviews on the net. plenty of dissatisfied folks out there

i just did a quick "listia scam" google search and i saw enough on the first page of results to decide it aint for me

seams like a loop hole to prey on people that dont know any better that are cheap skates to begin with. sounds like a recipe for a stress

I did this for about a year and it did work as a way to make a small income. It was quite a bit of work, but if you have the time...

most people don't know about aliexpress, and so you are technically overcharging when you charge 4 or 5 bucks for a 1-2 dollar item. you can also just sell items for listia's currency, then use that on gift cards, or transfer to an exchange, convert to ethereum, transfer to coinbase, and sell for USD, but that's kind of complicated if you're not familiar with cryptocurrencies.

the reason there are so many results for "listia scam" is the same reason you'll find results for any site when you put "scam" after it, because it gets views, and because, like any platform, there are people who will try to scam you. in addition, listia markets itself as a way to get free stuff, which causes people to question it, even though it's technically true, you just need to give free stuff first... usually on listia, it's blatantly obvious when a seller is scamming as the photo for their item can be reverse image searched, their profile will be new with no feedback, and they'll be charging very little shipping for a valuable item. in these cases, paypal will refund you, and no listia currency is received by the seller until you mark the item received.

drop shipping is simply acting as a middle man between supplier and customer, charging a markup, and making a profit. listia is simply a platform on which to sell things. this is simply a guide to effectively utilizing it to drop ship.

I dunno--I hear lots of "drop-shipping" is really just a stolen credit card number scam.

lenny flank said:
I dunno--I hear lots of "drop-shipping" is really just a stolen credit card number scam.

you're the drop-shipper in this scenario, so as long as you're not scamming people there's nothing to worry about.

As someone who's done a lot of e-commerce over the years, I have sort of a love/hate relationship with Dropshipping. It can work well if you've got a website with content that draws organic traffic. It ^might^ work on ebay or amazon. But the issue I have with the practice is how the quality of the products shipped can vary wildly, even from the same clearinghouse.

I've never heard of this one. As a rule, most people who are doing this kind of thing seriously use DOBA. Doba is sort of like the Amazon of dropshipping. Lots of vendors use the site to sell lots of things across a range of categories that will make you dizzy. Their catalog has more items in it than you'll ever be able to sell, and you can usually make anywhere between 3% and 10% on markup and stay competitive.

I don't like DOBA, because they hold out on their api's for higher paid accounts. Cheap or free accounts get no access to this. But if you're selling something, you need to be able to guarantee that it's in stock at the time of sale, otherwise you'll end up not being able to fulfil your orders. I know this sounds nit picky, but it's a real problem. The other problem with Doba (even though they've put in some work here) is that shipping estimates are either absent or completely out of line with what shipping costs actually are. Not a big deal on small items, catastrophic on heavier stuff. It all depends on the guy doing the data entry on the other side. Watch out for that guy. 

The other issue with dropshipping is that you're in competition with everyone else who has access to the same catalog, and it's often a race to the bottom. So you need to be weary of it, unless we're talking about name brand goods that are available from other sources.

Just my two cents.