Downsize me?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ganchan

Reaction score
Currently my 2000 Ford Expedition is an ideal size, space-wise, for my purposes; MPG-wise, not so much. I imagine I'll switch to another vehicle at some point, especially if I want to make some of the 3,000+-mile (each way) trips I'd like to make. Currently getting about 18 MPG on the highway, which isn't bad considering I'm usually being forced to go 75 or faster. (I can get almost 20 MPG driving 60-65.) Would love to boost my efficiency without sacrificing much in the way of sleeper cargo space.

My lower back and I prefer the higher driver height of an SUV platform to an minivan, which seats you more like a standard car -- otherwise a minivan might be a good strategy. I've also developed a preference for domestic cars because parts and labor are cheaper. With that in mind, I'm considering:

-Ford Expedition with EcoBoost engine, which supposedly gets about 15% better MPG than my Triton V8. Best of all, no space sacrifice.
-Ford Edge, if its has reasonably upright seating and enough space to lie down in, at least diagonally.
-Ford Flex; same conditions
-Compact GM SUV such as Chevy Equinox

Any thoughts on the subject to add to my "food for thought" menu?  :idea:

Have you crunched the numbers? In my experience, the theoretical savings in a higher mpg are eaten up by the higher price of a newer vehicle.

Oh, and I drive like a smart granny on the highway in our Sprinter. 60-65 mph is our sweet spot, too.

SondraRose said:
Have you crunched the numbers?  In my experience, the theoretical savings in a higher mpg are eaten up by the higher price of a newer vehicle.

Well, I've only owned the Expedition for about 8 months, and so far it hasn't cost me much in repairs etc. I'll wait until i have at least 12 months under my belt and then compare the projected annual upkeep to the cost of a (recent-model but not new) vehicle. I have a feeling the costs will rise as I go from today's 195K miles toward the 300K mark.... On the other hand, a car that's made it this far is already a pretty safe bet....

If you have found something that works for you that gets 15MPG I would be happy especially if it is reliable. Go slower and maybe look for a way to explore short distances (day trips) with out using your vehicle.

yeah, who is actually forcing you to go 75+? slow down smell the roses. highdesertranger

highdesertranger said:
yeah,  who is actually forcing you to go 75+?  slow down smell the roses.  highdesertranger

Well, I enjoy the convenience and smoothness of interstates. But of course I could always choose to be That Slow Guy That Everybody Hates.   :cool:

When the time eventually comes, I may just grab another Expedition. I like these things.

On the interstates I just park my van behind a transport that's doing 55/60 because he/she is paying for the fuel. People don't wave at me cause they blame the transport truck..... :D 

18 mpg is not that bad really for something that is also your home on wheels. Class C's and most B's don't come anywhere near close to that.

ganchan said:
Any thoughts on the subject to add to my "food for thought" menu?  :idea:

I am never forced to go faster than I want. I putter along (Heading up to mailbox) at 55-60 Hells Bells my van only gets 12 mpg. I drop to 10 or less at 65....No thanks. Unless it's an emergency I go as I feel I can control the van.

I'd LOVE 18 mpg.....