Down to 3 choices, input needed

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GypsySpirit

Reaction score
After much research, I've come up with 3 possible and affordable means for me to hit the road.  I know what creature comforts I need, and I know what a small budget I have to work with, so here goes:

Option #1:  An empty shell of a Scamp-type trailer.  Completely gutted.  Has a poptop which is lacking canvas (which I can do).   The original stove, cooktop, etc are present, no idea if they will even work.  Some windows missing.  This option leaves me with a couple thousand to put into it.

Option #2:  Brand new cargo trailer.  This will require some carpentry skills (which I lack), as well as insulation, etc.  I have camping gear which will have to suffice until I can afford solar, batteries, et al.

Option #3/#4: Older travel trailers with all the bells and whistles.  This means I have a potty, stove and all the creature comforts that I desire.  One of these trailers has no propane (which baffles me) which means I will need a solar setup right away.

I can "rough" it, but it's not ideal.  Not knocking anyone who is living out of a car, but it's just not the way I want to go.

Open to input.  Thanks!

What are you towing these with? What you are using will make a big difference in preferences. Any idea how much each weighs and how much your stuff weighs? What size is the Scamp-type trailer and is the floor solid? What size and kind of cargo trailer. Big difference between an all aluminum and steel cargo trailer. Year and make of older travel trailers makes a big difference. Most older campers with all the bells and whistles are heavy and every fix makes them heavier. On first glance I would rather start with a newer better built cargo trailer, because you for sure will have to fix and do a lot of work on them. If I am going to have to do work on something I would rather start fresh rather than to have to fix someone else's repairs.

bullfrog said:
What are you towing these with?  What you are using will make a big difference in preferences.   Any idea how much each weighs and how much your stuff weighs?  What size is the Scamp-type trailer and is the floor solid?  What size and kind of cargo trailer.  Big difference between an all aluminum and steel cargo trailer.  Year and make of older travel trailers makes a big difference.  Most older campers with all the bells and whistles are heavy and every fix makes them heavier.

I have a GMC Canyon.  GVWR is 4000 lbs.  Scamp-type is 14' and the floor looks like one molded piece.  Trailer I'm looking at is 6x12 Wells Cargo.  The two older trailers are both in the 2500 lb range. Edit: I've considered the 6x10 Wells Cargo as well.

I would/did choose the cargo trailer option when faced with similar choices. I was able to get one with windows, but we put in the linoleum, and insulation. We just unscrewed the walls, put in the insulation and screwed the walls back on and painted it all white. Good luck with your search

Am kind of leaning that way.....build as I can afford it. The girly-girl in me wants the shower and the potty and the pretty curtains, and the realistic me says to just sleep on the damn floor!

My vote is for the cargo trailer!

You might start out roughing it but with a little tutoring you can have all those girly things you want...just not right now! The floor sounds rough, at least throw in a camp cot.... :D

And cheers for choosing the Wells Cargo. My 6 x 10 is going strong after 20 years.

I'd definitely go with the 12'r though rather than the 10 foot trailer.

tx2sturgis said:
Is that actually the GVW or is that the GTW?

The GVW should be a much higher number. Or is it?

Sadly, my truck is only a 4 banger.  Great on gas mileage, not so great at hauling things.  Manufacturer says 4000 is max.  I've been hauling around my homemade tiny house, a 5x8 trailer.  That was definitely a learning experience.  Mostly, I learned I am not a carpenter.  That thing has so much water damage it's not got anything worth salvaging but the trailer frame.

If the Scamp-type trailer is functionally sound, good frame good springs, axle and bearings and there is no soft or flakey fiberglass and no rotten wood I would see if you can fit comfortably in it and fix it. There is a high demand for these trailers cleaned up and if you don't like it you can probably sell it if you buy it and can fix it for the least money. If the cargo trailer is cheaper and you can stand up in it after it is insulated then it would be my choice if boondocking. If your going to stay in one place with hookups for long periods of time or if you need AC or electric heat I would go for the older high quality trailer. I currently live in a 1983 Barth 28' motor home which is permanently parked with hook ups and it has needed very little maintenance because it doesn't move. We lived seasonally in a 1991 18' dual axle Ajo travel trailer for 6 months moving a couple times and it was all my 1988 Wagoneer with 360 cubic inch v8 and 4.10 diff wanted to pull. I currently camp 3 months of the year out of a home built light weight 11' cargo type trailer that is pulled with a Tacoma. When I travel it is what I take.

bullfrog said:
If the Scamp-type trailer is functionally sound, good frame good springs, axle and bearings and there is no soft or flakey fiberglass and no rotten wood I would see if you can fit comfortably in it and fix it.  There is a high demand for these trailers cleaned up and if you don't like it you can probably sell it if you buy it and can fix it for the least money.  If the cargo trailer is cheaper and you can stand up in it after it is insulated then it would be my choice if boondocking.  If your going to stay in one place with hookups for long periods of time or if you need AC or electric heat I would go for the older high quality trailer.  I currently live in a 1983 Barth 28' motor home which is permanently parked with hook ups and it has needed very little maintenance because it doesn't move.  We lived seasonally in a 1991 18' dual axle Ajo travel trailer for 6 months moving a couple times and it was all my 1988 Wagoneer with 360 cubic inch v8 and 4.10 diff wanted to pull.  I currently camp 3 months of the year out of a home built light weight 11' cargo type trailer that is pulled with a Tacoma.  When I travel it is what I take.

Taking my mechanic to look at the fiberglass one this week.  I tend to see potential instead of actual flaws, so I need another opinion.  Will keep you posted.

With a four cylinder you want the lightest rig. A C-Head separating toilet is light and a battery powered shower is best for boondocking as water in tanks weighs more than most four cylinder engines want to pull.

I would put the 5' x 8' trailer frame up for sale on tear drop and tiny trailers site as that seems to be the more desired size when building there.

scratch out the older travel trailer right off,lack of build quality/materials

i like scamps but those windows might be hard to find? but still has exiting systems,propane/water to build around

new cargo trailer is new but would be a complete build out

GypsySpirit said:
Am kind of leaning that way.....build as I can afford it.  The girly-girl in me wants the shower and the potty and the pretty curtains, and the realistic me says to just sleep on the damn floor!

I quickly realized my desire for a real shower and potty were outweighed by my dislike for searching out dump stations and hauling around a ton of water :)
There's a lot to be said for simplicity.

I believe you mean the 4,000 is the GTWR(Gross Trailer Weight Rating) not the GVWR which is the Gross Vehicle Weight Rating which is the maximum that the Canyon can weigh fully loaded. may I suggest that you get all this weight rating stuff straighten out before buying anything. also can the tires on the Canyon handle towing? what is their weight rating? highdesertranger

Gypsy, im in AZ as well. I 've had most of your options. I am uncomfortable towing larger campers and weights. We seem to adapt and do what we must. I am happy for you that you know your wants and needs. A 13ft Scamp will not likely have space for a bathroom, most had only a porta potty under the front bunk. If it does come with a bathroom it will be TINY and your inside living space tiny as well. That being said, they tow fantastically well, if you keep it simple and dont over load with 'stuff'. I have restored 5 trailers...feel free to contact me through my blog or face book as well as here if you need anything I may be able to help with. You may prefer the utility trailer as you can make it glamper pretty with new to you stuff more quicly, rather than repair or learn new stuff. Looking forward to following your progress.
Simply,
Lesa
SimplyLesa.blogspot.com

Sent from my SM-T713 using Tapatalk

Just rereading your original post. Propane can be lived without. To me its over rated. I have a health issue which prevents me from using it. Without propane does not automatically mean that you have to have solar 'right away'.
I have lived a simple off grid lifestyle many many years. There are options, think about how people live on boats, how travelers before we became such a cultured society and others lived. Perhaps it will give you both options and hope that your changes can come as slowly or quickly as you can manage both in thought and financially. You will do great.

Sent from my SM-T713 using Tapatalk

mayble said:
I quickly realized my desire for a real shower and potty were outweighed by my dislike for searching out dump stations and hauling around a ton of water :)
There's a lot to be said for simplicity.

The potty issue can be easily solved with one of the separating toilets like my C-Head which I thoroughly endorse. I use no chemicals, have a real toilet rather than a bucket and don't need a dump station and the fees involved. The liquid tank lasts me about 3 to 4 days and is dumped in any toilet available or scattered in the bush where okay to do so. The solids tank uses pine shavings from the pet section of W/M and only needs to be emptied once every 6 weeks or so. This is for one person so adjust that schedule accordingly.

While a real shower with lots of hot running water is possible in a trailer, you're right, hauling all that water around is a problem and again you  need a dump station for the holding tank. Trailer showers are usually kept to short water conservation ones by everyone that has a built in shower. Some even use the outdoor shower to avoid filling the gray water tank.

I compromise by using a combination of my solar shower with a privacy tent and paying the smallish fees for showers either at a rec center like in Cottonwood, at a gym if I can find one with a daily fee or shower facilities such as truck stops, the laundromats in both Ehrenberg and Quartzite. The bonus, I never have to clean the shower.... :D

I consider my washroom facilities not only to be simplistic but also eco friendly. I use very little water and don't buy nor add any chemicals to the environment.

Ok, I am taking my mechanic to see the egg type trailer on Wednesday. If that's a no go, then I expect to be purchasing the 6x12 V-nose. Woo-hoo! The adventure begins! I think making the decision to do this was the hardest part.