Don't pay the ransom!

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dragonflyinthesky

Reaction score
I'm perfectly fine in my travels, still in Florida for another week then back to Ohio to close down my life as I know it there.  My pc works poorly and I'm am not a patent woman so I don't bother getting online much.

First off, I met up with Mr LooReed's band of vagabonds at his Florida gathering. It was what I needed to gt my confidence up to get on the road and lead my life of happiness and adventure.

I will sum this up by saying (and I have told many people this)  I have got rid of most of my stuff, I live with 3 dogs full time in a tiny 13 foot by 7 foot vintage camper, I don't always know where I will be sleeping from night to night and I feel like I am the happiest and the richest woman in the world.

Regrets? Sometimes I'm lonely, sometimes I do miss my family and friends.  Biggest regret I would have to say is, I didn't do this last year but I suppose the timing was right this year. Yes, I did try to find every reason not to do this but I did.

I will see whoever is on the road in NM or AZ or CO after July first. My dad (he's 84 yo) and I are heading to Pikes Peak for his bucket list, we are taking separate rigs. After I do the Pikes Peak thing with him, I will go on down to NM and where ever I feel pulled.

Diane 

That is great!!! Have a blast with your dad at Pikes Peak. :) See ya on the road....

Lucky you! Doing a road trip with your Dad. I planned one with my Dad, but we never made it.

So good to hear from you! I sent you a PM awhile back, to check up on you. Glad you're loving the life.

I don't always know where I will be sleeping from night to night and I feel like I am the happiest and the richest woman in the world.

Me too, sister!  :)

Best of luck Diane! I like your attitude! I also like reading travel logs...lol. Have fun!

Diane, so glad to hear you and yours are doing well. Jane and I did make it to the RTR and stayed in Arizona for 3 months. Loved it. Unable to get on internet much so didn't know when you were able to get on the road. Best wishes to you and I hope we can meet up again.   What a wonderful blessing to travel with your Dad to Pike's Peak. Enjoy. :)  Jan 

Thanks for the update! Going to Pikes Peak with your dad - that is so cool! You'll love it. Check the weather forecast to make sure fog will not be rolling in so that you get a good view from the top.

If you go through Kansas on your way to Colorado there are state fishing lakes with free camping - very nice.

New update. Looks like I will be here a few more days, the owner of the campground I'm at just commissioned me to do a small painting of flowers and a hummingbird on their wood wall next to the clubhouse entrance in exchange for camping. If I can get this pc to work well enough, I will post pictures.

Diane there should be a geek or ten around to help with that computer to tune it up. Bet you could barter painting for computer repairs too.

It was a pleasure to meet you in Florida and I'm glad it's going well! I might still be in Jackson Wyoming (Grand Tetons and Yellowstone NP) in early July, I'd love to have you and your dad stop by!

I'm curious about the title of the thread--can you elaborate?
Bob

I'm curious about the title of the thread--can you elaborate?
Bob

#1 I don't proofread well enough

#2 When I worked at WPAFB years ago, if one of us was late to a meeting or work, the usual excuse was "Don't pay the ransom, I got away." I forgot to put "I got away" since I haven't been here much.

I didn't even know until today Van Tramp has a new gal. I guess I need to check him off my list of potential boyfriends.

You made it out of Ohio and on with your dream life! There's hope for me! Safe travels! :)

Don't pay the ransom comes from a song by Nat stuckey about a guy that goes out drinking and at about 3 in the morning calls his wife and tells her "don't pay the ransom I've escaped.

For NM, I suggest Bandolier Nat. Mon. north of ABQ. I also suggest taking a left turn at ABQ so you can say.... "Must have been that left turn at Albuquerque". If you don't make a left turn in ABQ then you can say "Should have taken that left turn in Albuquerque".

Also farther south on I-25 is a tiny town called Socorro (we used to live at the RV park at the second exit). Overnight parking is allowed at Wal-Mart. Head up 60 to  Datil Well  ($5 per night, no hookups and water spigots scattered thru the campground). You will pass the Very Large Array free self-guided tours Spend the night at Datil Well and hit the VLA on your way back down. Pack your own food, there is nothing up there really.

Head across the state on 380 (refuel in Socorro first... the gas station south of hwy 60/spring street on the main street is the cheapest place in town...). Stop to pee in Capitan at the big gas station (you get the idea I've made that trip a few times). Stop in Lincoln (cheap self-guided tour/museums) on the way, you will pass thru Valley of Fires which is an old lava flow that you can touch.  In Roswell, there's not much. Just tourist trap stuff. You can park in Wal-Mart/Sam's Club parking lot on north end of town or out at Bottomless Lakes (cool thing, nice campground). I buy fuel at Sam's Club which is often the same price as the Murphy's just south of Sam's/Wal-Mart.   Either stay in Roswell or stay at Brantley Lake and hit Carlsbad Caverns (Natural Entrance Cave tour and take the elevators up to the surface).

In Hobbs is a cheap state/county park Harry McAdams that is $18 per night for full hookups, HUGE shower stalls, free wifi, HUGE shower stalls (okay, it had been a long hot trip and the shower was heavenly). We came thru Hobbs from Midland/Odessa.

When I leave NM, I will pass thru Tatum (gas station.. there is no gas in the 75 miles between Roswell & Tatum... a situation that is disturbingly common in NM... fuel up in the towns) which has a "first night free" county park (I think full hookup) and will stay in Brownfield in a "first night free" county park. Just one of many Free campgrounds I will be staying it. Yes, I'm cheap.

http://www.ultimatecampgrounds.com/uc/index.php/2012-10-03-01-10-22
http://www.uscampgrounds.info/
http://www.forestcamping.com/index.htm
http://www.freecampgrounds.com/
http://www.allstays.com/c/camping-overnight-rv-parking.htm

Please, if you stay at any of these places that have review sites, leave a review, particularly the freebie places and leave the current rate you paid.

Great ideas CR! I live in "burque" but this is great info for me also as I'm not so familiar with camp sites etc even here in NM.True that outside of larger towns gas and supplies are few and far between.Made a trip to Carlsbad Caverns 30 years ago.Awesome place and the bat flight was spectacular.Hope to take the grandkids this summer. Any way sorry to hijack and yup I'm cheap too! :p