Domicile/Base Decision?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HalfShadows

Reaction score
I have been thinking a lot about my future. I currently have a beautiful house on a serene lake in the foothills of the Cascades. Has been described by others as a Dutch Masters painting. I enjoy the peace i get from waking up every morning, pouring a cup of coffee and looking at the beauty. But alas the house is huge, and no longer a home. I can financially afford the house but then I think Why? I could rent it or list it with an Air B&B service. Or simply sell it. I want my base/domicile to be in Washington State. That I know. I have also researched all land for sale in the State. Whittled it down to 2 properties. One property is in the hills along the Columbia River. 20 acres with a 30ft water fall. The other is just shy of 10 acres with1500 ft of river front at the base of the Olympic mountains. No improvements on either property. Thinking of spending the beautiful summers on the property in my rig, and perhaps erect a huge pole barn for maintenance and storage ( I like my tools). I am in no hurry but it sometimes eats away at me. I understand not everyone is in this situation. I would venture to guess some of you are. Would like input from those of you that have resolved, or working to resolve this issue.

If not building a home, do the research on how the land use regs are, both in theory and how they being enforced these days.

The greatest flexibility comes if you can register as an agriculture operation of some sort, aquaculture, organic CFA whatever.

Can't tell you anything about your life situation, but assuming you are talking about the area where the Columbia River is going north-to-south in WA state east of the Cascades, and not the section where it borders OR, then ....

.... if you will recall, there have been a number of truly HUMUNGOUS wildfires in the area between the Cascades and the Columbia River over the past several years.
- https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2016_Washington_wildfires
- https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2017_Washington_wildfires
- https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2018_Washington_wildfires

Can't find Stevens. You mean Stevenson near Cascade Locks ???

Our local Oregon paper said it was the worst fire season in ... Oh, I don't remember, but an absurd number of years. Pretty much non-stop since early July anyway.

It's windy along the Columbia, but then you would always have fresh air.  They grew fruit trees there in the old days.

I personally like the idea of having a few acres with a garage on it to use for projects.  And due to the rain, you would want covered storage for anything over the winter. I get a lot of peace out of doing woodworking, and will have to take up whittling soon without a garage to work in.

I personally like the idea of being at the beach, but I do not like the reality of it: humidity, everything rusts, expensive land, and the ocean is unpredictable about staying in it's bounds. Being a homeowner does not work out for me, so I'll stick with the wheels or renting from time to time. 
~crofter

30 minutes drive inland, and at a reasonable altitude. . .

Hello Halfshadows
  Sounds like what I did . Two years ago I sold my home in oregon and bought a property in northern Idaho with a pole barn. I lived in a small travel trailer in the shop for a year while building a small apartment in the building. A couple weeks ago I traded my truck for a ford transit connect and will be doing some traveling with a home base to come back to. I also love my tools :)

Robi

Hi HalfShadows. I can relate. I have this house in a university town in Michigan. Morning coffee in my garden. But the house is too big, my kids have moved on to the PNW, considered the Airbnb, etc. This house is comfortable/familiar but I realized that it was for a stage in life that has come and gone (raising kids and mid-later career). So letting go, and planning to hit the road in November. Your plan sounds lovely (and inspiring), and I bet that you will know when it is right.

Last fall (early-mid September 2017), I traveled along hwy 14 from The Dalles to PDX to visit my kids in OR. I-80 was closed because of the the forest fires on the OR side. A most lovely drive. Except for the smoke and occasional flames that you could see across the Columbia. When I stopped for some gas, the local folks were obviously very worried, and it was impossible to believe that the flames could be blown across the Columbia (the Eagle Creek fire did jump to Archer mountain). I drove it again a week+ later, fires had jumped, but starting to clear, and all seemed back to normal with fall community events and mother nature happier.

Keep us posted. I hope to be up that way again by next June (my son is graduating from UofO ;-^). It is my dream to spend a few months on the Olympic peninsula.

Thank you John,Red,Crofter, and Dharma for your input. All 3 of my children are college graduates and are leaders in their fields. (They get their intellect from their mother). I am glad I have no worries there. I am thinking of making my decision this spring. If I decide to sell, the house will sell fast. Population expansion from Seattle is encroaching this way. I can reflect back and say, I once had a beautiful home.

I took this last trip to really think about what future consequences there might be if I sell. I've decided that's what I am going to do.

Knowing I have had somewhere to return has made Road-ing more enjoyable. But I can't keep up. The tractor needs tires and someone who knows how to change the oil - and that was my husband. Our property is beginning to look like a jungle. I can't afford it, anymore;. money-wise or happiness-wise: I prefer happiness. 

I'd much rather have my husband back but I'm grateful for the opportunities the road still has to offer.

The seasons change and we make the best of that. That's what human beings do.

Best wishes.

Liv

I also had a home, in the Klamath River Valley, to raise my children in. It was an eerie feeling to be the last one left after everyone else moved on. I left in 2013 and don't regret it.

The first solo-trip I took, after school, was from El Cajon to Klamath Falls - also Ashland and Brandon by the Sea.
It was a wonderful time. I took Amtrak; hitch hiked and backpacked for about a month. I fell in love. 

I think when I sell, I'll purchase a van. Maybe spend some summer months on the PWC. (I really like Canada, too)

Winter down South/SW.

I'm comfortable traveling alone. I have my Golden and she loves to go. 

Life is good.

It can be...;)

I've been thinking about this subject more and more lately - choosing a location as a home base/permanent address. I can't help but wonder if there are aspects of doing this that I haven't thought about or considered. Sure, it's nice to choose a place with no income tax and has good vehicle insurance rates, like South Dakota, but are there other considerations I should be thinking about? (I have no family at all and everyone I know is in MN, which I'd like to cut ties with.)

I'm not trying to over-complicate the issues but it seems too simple to leave it at that.

How often do you need to actually return there, emissions testing etc.

Medical insurance or maybe other gov benefits is a big one.

Minor one, making your vote count in a swing state.

It is more like how much time I want to spend here. Summer time  i can enjoy the beauty of this state and stay cool. Also creep up into Canada and explore there. Lots of places I want to see in Canada. Plus if I buy a base camp here, I can always sell it when the time comes. I like the idea of having my own refuge. To come and go as I please, only having to pay low taxes on a middle of nowhere undeveloped piece of land in a rain forest, or a hillside by a beautiful river. Zen Baby Zen!

Hey 1/2. I've been down in the Sierra this week. Glorious, no smoke. Stopped in Mammoth for internet.  It's nice to have a home base to travel from.  When I retired, I downsized and bought a small condo. Very cheap living, but cannot work on RVs, etc, on the property. Now have the van, and the condo works well as a homebase.

An inexpensive possibilty would be to just buy a few undeveloped acres in southern Washington or Oregon. Could be anywhere that' s cool in summer. Live in SnowBunny when there. Provides a permanent address, and with no house, you don't lose everything in case of a wildfire. Maybe install a Yurt hut for summer comfort. Pocket your other equity. Summer to north, winter to south.

(I see the Beast is gone, :).

Jack said:
I've been thinking about this subject more and more lately - choosing a location as a home base/permanent address.  I can't help but wonder if there are aspects of doing this that I haven't thought about or considered.  Sure, it's nice to choose a place with no income tax and has good vehicle insurance rates, like South Dakota, but are there other considerations I should be thinking about?  (I have no family at all and everyone I know is in MN, which I'd like to cut ties with.)

I'm not trying to over-complicate the issues but it seems too simple to leave it at that.

The consideration is that So Dakota would be the pits to live in anytime of the year. OTOH, Montana, Idaho, Washington, or Oregon would make nice summer addresses. Then winter down south.