New RVer who also owns off-grid property

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CaliforniaGal

Reaction score
Hello, I am 53, my husband is 61.
we bought a CORONADO RV recently. Due to family obligations, we will not be able to use it for another 1.5 hrs. We own some off-grid property
with an illegal 500 st foot home, high celivings, large deck. Flagged by the county but not red-tagged. We love the off-grid area and want to use it as a home base, it's in California about 1 hr from Reno Nevada. It has many springs too, so we'd like an RVer to eventually live there full time to watch the place in trade for Water and internet.

We do not have the $ but hopefully. when I complete my fingerprint live scan+exemption form, I will be back to work 30 hrs a week which will help us complete the house to make it legal. Turning it into a "barn" or something like that. Otherwise they threatened to tear it down but we haven't heard from them in 1.5 yrs now. Probably due to COVID.

Eventually I would like to connect with others to meet up and maybe host people to stay with us Off-Grid when we get the house situation under wraps. The area also has landline and broadband but home will be run off of Solar & a Generator. Beautiful area near campgrounds and the American River. Thanks for allowing me to be here :)
Any

Hello CaliforniaGal...welcome and good luck.....I can fix the title and a couple of the other typos if you want me to....Is your name 'Any'? Or would that be 'Amy'...I can fix that also.

If you get to the point where you actually want to post a 'classified' for a guest or possibly a caretaker for your property you can do that in the 'Trading Post' section.

You can find that here:

https://vanlivingforum.com/forums/trading-post.25/

Hello CaliforniaGal...welcome and good luck.....I can fix the title and a couple of the other typos if you want me to....Is your name 'Any'? Or would that be 'Amy'...I can fix that also.

If you get to the point where you actually want to post a 'classified' for a guest or possibly a caretaker for your property you can do that in the 'Trading Post' section.

You can find that here:

https://vanlivingforum.com/forums/trading-post.25/
If you could fix the title to say RVer, that would be great. Thanks for the link, I am really excited to find someone to stay there as soon as we get a little more work done on the property. Happy Sunday to you

Edited the title to read 'RVer' instead of 'River'...im guessing that maybe it got changed by an autocorrect on a phone or tablet...stuff happens.

And again welcome and good luck.

I am currently on east coast. Have been preparing to hit the road for several months. Almost ready! I have never been west and that is the direction I am headed. Don't intend to come back to the east coast.

All of my prep is so I am self-sufficient. I am solo female, 64

I would be interested in further discussion.

I am currently on east coast. Have been preparing to hit the road for several months. Almost ready! I have never been west and that is the direction I am headed. Don't intend to come back to the east coast.

All of my prep is so I am self-sufficient. I am solo female, 64

I would be interested in further discussion.
Yes me too, I will send you a pm with my information

I enjoyed our private conversations, thanks guys. We are always "ready" to have anyone in an RV who wants to stay here for a week or two. We can share internet & water if you are willing to park in the driveway. It's a beautiful tourist town in the Summer. We both work p/t but still would have time to hike or go swim in the YUBA river. We also have campgrunds and about 10 lakes within 10 min. Blessings to you all

We reside in Sierra City so can have visitors anytime. The Off-Grid property probably still needs a little work and it will be a few years before we get up there. At that location, we'd also want someone on the property at least part of the year. Free water and free shared internet.

We reside in Sierra City so can have visitors anytime. The Off-Grid property probably still needs a little work and it will be a few years before we get up there. At that location, we'd also want someone on the property at least part of the year. Free water and free shared internet.
In May, we were through Sahara City going to Loyalton -- about thirty miles away --after my sister's Fiftieth Wedding Anniversary shindig in Grass Valley.
And 'yes', we took the 'scenic-route' because our ExpeditionVehicle seems to prefer rural and winding and that whole 'forest' thing.
Our trip was on a Sunday.
If anybody is going through the area, Watch! For! Bicyclists!
While I have nothing against sharing the traffic-lane [cough] with suicidal invisible 'health-nuts' doing 3mph in a 55-zone [cough], my insurance is paid up.
[I should quit now, before I catch a few more misdemeanors from you-know-who...]
PS:
My message on the Anniversary cake:
* Here Is To The Next Fifty, with three exclamation marks.
Next time, on my notes to the baker, I will just put exclamation marks instead of spelling it out.

Last edited:
Welcome! Your house sounds like 3/4's of the houses in the Puna District of the Big Island in my home state of Hawaii! Can you say "Unpermitted" :LOL: It's a total cat and mouse shell game between the owners and the (very few) county building inspectors who've got a LOT of territory to cover and a "Jungle Telegraph" system you wouldn't believe to tell folks that they're going to get inspected...!

Cheers!

Welcome! Your house sounds like 3/4's of the houses in the Puna District of the Big Island in my home state of Hawaii! Can you say "Unpermitted" :LOL: It's a total cat and mouse shell game between the owners and the (very few) county building inspectors who've got a LOT of territory to cover and a "Jungle Telegraph" system you wouldn't believe to tell folks that they're going to get inspected...!

Cheers!
I wish it were like that here. They have plenty of building inspectors here, sad to say. Hawaii is beautiful, you are so lucky to live there :)

What can you say about public and private medical clinics?
Hello
Well I would count on driving 45 min to Grass Valley if it were me. Otherwise for now, you have two choices.
Dr. Fox in Colfax which is 30 min away but I see it lists him as 74 years old. Not sure how long he will continue practicing.

Second choice is about 35-40 min away is Dr. DeSouza. A great doctor I can recommend since I've seen him years back. He is showing as 68 years old, also up there in years. Whether they will be practicing much longer is questionable.

There is a Clinic in Grass Valley called Western Sierra Medical Clinic. I would take a client of mine to the Doctor and she got excellent care. This is before COVID so that's changed things, possibly. She is on medicaid. However she did get a doctor who later became the head honcho of the clinic. https://wsmcmed.org

Last edited: