Off grid options in Santa Cruz County

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

redwooddawg

Reaction score
Introducing myself. I'm a few days in to the decision to get a home on wheels. I've never been sucked into the "rat race", and I lived and travelled in a van fifteen years ago. I currently live in Santa Cruz County and I own a small business that is my sole livelihood and I love it and do not wish to abandon it. I serve people living in this area (near Felton) so I need to figure out a way to live safely off-grid. I have two elderly dogs. I want to transition out. Housing in this area has become so insanely expensive, I'll be looking at $2k rent if I have to move again. I have had to move four times in the space of six years. I was on a relatives' floor and in client homes for seven months between rentals, and my business continued to grow during that time. I've held on here as my rent has doubled. I've tried to accept life as a renter but it is so *wasteful*, I can't stand it. I am throwing so much $$ into the wind! Much of what I see in terms of boondocking is already part of my experience as a renter in this area. A lot of folks are living without power, water, refrigeration. heat, plumbing, etc. 

So I am excited for my future as life in a van is familiar to me. But I don't know how much time I have and I don't want to fritter away my resources. I have bad debts that I want to pay off, and zero assets. The property I live in has just changed managers for the third time and I am on a month-to-month lease. 

So part of me is preparing a five-year exit plan, but part of me wants to be ready to survive off-grid if I receive notice to move, which could happen at any time. I'm researching how to sleep in my tiny Toyota car, if I have to. Point is, if I can sleep somewhere safely, I can continue to earn and get a van. I'm posting in the hope that someone in this area is familiar with folks in the community who offer space. I do know that they exist, I drive all over and I have seen the evidence.  I just don't know them personally. Please send PMs with any info and of course questions are welcome. I am a known and upstanding member of the community and due to the work I do (pet care) my car already looks as if I live in it, if you know what I mean....

I don't know any specific people who offer space but I would look for them further up Hwy 9 near Ben Lomond and Boulder Creek.

I have slept on Hwy 1 near Bonny Doon Beach several times and never been hassled. You can then take Bonny Doon Rd back into the SLV area.

I recommend placing a Craigslist ad looking for a place to park and sleep. There might also be community bulletin boards in SLV that can help.

Good luck. It's a tough area to live in.

Welcome redwooddawg to the CRVL forums! To help you learn the ins and outs of these forums, this "Tips & Tricks" post lists some helpful information to get you started. We look forward to hearing more from you. highdesertranger

I slept in my car for a couple of months back in 2008 -- stayed mostly in Capitola, in grocery store parking lots. So many people were doing it and nobody bothered us, but it's been a long time so things might have changed. You'd have to be more stealth than not-- you wouldn't want to set up a stove or camp chairs, but it's still do-able.

What's that surfing spot that's so famous? The Hook? It's pitch dark at night- not sure I'd try staying the night, but they do have that outdoor shower you could make use of if you were quick (lol). Good luck on your adventure.

Sent from my LG-LS777 using Tapatalk

:) Hello and Welcome
In what state is the Santa Cruz County you speak of? 

Until the fall of 2016 I drove a 1991 4x4 Ford Ranger.  Before that I had a 1981 F350 {1 ton pickup}  I have made a pact with myself to try and always have a vehicle big enough to live in and stretch out to sleep in.  I'm working on a 1998 Safari high top that was my Moms. I'm close to 60ys old and am way past being sick of someone else owning the roof over my head for the past 10 years.  My neighborhood has declined and my rent is about $300 more per mo. than it was in 2010.

I too have debt I'm paying down.  However for me having a vehicle that runs good and will serve as a tow vehicle or a little camper van is very important too.  So if I pay xtra on a credit card and then find something for the van that's a really good deal I don't hesitate to use the card.  So it has new tires and I have a invertor generator from Home Depot like one that JimInDenver has. 

The way I look at it is that card won't keep the rain off or give me a secure place to sleep when I need it.  Works for me so far. I'm sure there are folks who don't see it this way.

I hope you find something that will fulfill your needs.

JewellAnn and Queenie