Questions about Domiciles & Insurance

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TrailerManNJ

Reaction score
As the title stated, I have questions regarding both domiciles & car insurance. So I'll break this message into 2 parts...

First...after studying up a bit (via Escapees website) on getting domiciled in another state, I'm still a bit confused. Here are my questions...

I currently have health insurance through the state of NJ, which I absolutely wouldn't want to jeopardize/lose, as I have some serious medical issues. And going through the application process all over again in a different state might be a nightmare. And who knows if I'd even get approved. Now, from what I understand, a person can have SEVERAL residences, but only 1 domicile. If I changed my domicile to Florida (or anywhere else out of my current home state of NJ), would I lose my healthcare benefits? Or would I still be able to keep them by saying that I still reside in NJ (by using a friend's address, etc.), even though I'm domiciled in another state?

Next question concerns auto insurance. Most insurance companies base EVERYTHING on an individual's garaging address. How do I know this? Well...

About 3 years ago I got a letter from my insurance company stating that they were cancelling my policy. After angrily calling them back asking why in the world they'd do that, they stated that their records indicated that I had a few parking tickets issued which were not at my garaging address (all factual). I explained that this was because I would routinely stay over at my girlfriend's house, at least 2 or 3 times per week, instead of my own residence. It was a long process, and I had to fight them tooth & nail to keep my policy active...but it was a royal pain in the a$$.

Based on insurance carriers not caring one iota about a residential address, but instead a GARAGING address, has anyone had/suffered any issues stemming from this? Being that nomads are constantly on the move, I'm assuming so, and would love to hear your stories and/or solutions regarding this complicated pickle.

You can have a house in every State if you wish, but only one home of record. We have different reasons for choosing different States. Some have high income and don't wish to pay State income Tax. Some like you have medical billing issues. You get to pick just one for legal issues
Your State may allow you to vacation or travel outside of the State, and may even cover emergency medical visits in other States. Become a resident in Arizona, and New Jersey will certainly drop you as a resident. Trying to play two States for their benefits can get you criminal charges. `
Some will choose a State that they can get to easy. Say you like the tax advantages of Nevada, but love Az. They are very close and you can get from one to the other easy. Now on the other extreme, you like to hang out in Southern California, but claim New Jersey as residence. Now you have a 3,000 mile trip if you need to get back, (medical, driver's license, Jury duty, etc.).
There is not one best State for Nomad's home of record. It all depends on your circumstances.

Last edited:
If you need to keep your New Jersey medical insurance, then you need to keep New Jersey as your domicile address. There is no other concrete, safe and sure way to keep it. You’d have to use a friend or relative’s street address as your garaging address and domicile address. You can then use any state for a mailing address, and reside where you please, when you please.

For domicile, you need to have relationships that show a connection. Examples of that: doctor, lawyer, dentist, bank mechanic, insurance agent, friend, relative.

The main reason Florida, Texas, and South Dakota are so good for nomads is that they accept as your domicile address a not physically real home address. Hence, the insurance agents and banks, DMVs and most other important entities also accept your domicile address.

People get into messes when they take that to mean they can use a post office box and do it in any state they please as their domicile address- which they cannot.

As an aside, will you be able to actually use your New Jersey based insurance outside of New Jersey? My guess is probably not. Or if so, it’ll have to be pre-approved and they’ll have to find you a provider. I had Hawaii health insurance and they couldn’t find me a provider on the mainland anywhere in the Midwest.

Good luck to you!

A lot of drivers residing in Brooklyn claim that their vehicle is garaged at a relative's place in NJ.

I think some of the info on Escapees site is not correct. They mention that you need show a connection to doctors and lawyers, etc. I just went through this last summer, and that's not true.

I made an appointment with Escapees in Livingston TX, got my official mailing address, went into town and transferred my RV and Car insurance from OK to TX (I use Allstate since they insure RV's), got both vehicles inspected and went to the TX DMV office and transferred my title and tags to TX. And then made an appointment to get my Drivers License transferred over to TX. Except for the Drivers License I got everything all done all in one day.

I dont know about health insurance, since I use the VA and Tricare, military retired insurance.

I think some of the info on Escapees site is not correct. They mention that you need show a connection to doctors and lawyers, etc. I just went through this last summer, and that's not true.
Freelander, do some more reading and you’ll find that states where folks have lived and worked and launched into the nomad life from, including setting up domicile in another state, have sued those people for income taxes. Their premise is that until you show your serious intent to make that new state your home, they are still your domicile and you owe them. A more eloquent explanation:

https://www.escapees.com/establishing-domicile-for-rvers/
Do the minimum if you’re sure it won’t bite you. But be aware of the possible issues.

Escapees has been around a long time and they really do their due diligence. They’re not trying to sell you anything but membership and a really good mail forwarding service. Both of those things are well worth the cost, IMO, even without their tireless work on behalf of RVers.

Well my legal address is with Escapees. So if OK wants to try to collect taxes from me, well good luck, I own no property in either state. As far as "serious intent to make that new state your home", my insurance, tags, drivers lic, voter registration all say Texas. Now if you are just looking for a mailing address, and don't plan change your DL, tags, insurance etc, now that would be different.

Freelander, I only replied because you’d said above that you thought some of the info on the escapees website was not correct. My point wasn’t to say that you in particular, with your particular particulars are at risk, only to say that the Escapees website info is, indeed, correct and up to date.

Without looking into the case Escapees talks about, I would say that there are many other facts that are missing from the article. When I signed up there was no mention of having to establish any contacts in the state. They gave me a checklist of things I needed to do, and it was very simple.

Without looking into the case Escapees talks about, I would say that there are many other facts that are missing from the article. When I signed up there was no mention of having to establish any contacts in the state. They gave me a checklist of things I needed to do, and it was very simple.
Freelander, once again, I’m only saying anything at all because you initially said that
I replied because I have never found Escapees to be incorrect. I acknowledge that not every bit of info on their website applies to every situation/person. But I do take issue with your interpretation of their website information as “not correct”, because Escapees is one fantastic resource with the most complete and accurate info on the internet as pertains to this kind of life. I’d hate to have your lack of confidence in Escapees info steer folks on this forum away from an extremely comprehensive and helpful site.

Signing up for any of escapees services is one thing, and easy to do. The deep dive details of every single nomad issue cannot be placed into their sign up pages. I’m just strongly urging folks to do their due diligence regarding ALL facets of the life and pointing to Escapees as a great resource for accurate information.

And again when I signed up there was no mention of having to create a connection to anybody in the state. That is where the info is incorrect, if this was the case they would have mentioned it at signup time.

I was given a list of things to do.

1. Get the mail address,
2. Get insurance on my car and RV,
3. Get the inspection done,
4. Transfer the title and tags, and
5. Transfer my DL.

It would be no different than if I moved to Texas and shared a rented apartment somewhere.

And again we don't have all the details about the Minnesota case, and I am sure there was a lot of info left out of the case.

Last edited:
I use Florida Escapees (I lived in Florida before).........I had to "prove" my new address to get the new Drivers License
Is that a connection to the Community ?

#1 ....Escapees provided my new address in Florida....They E-mailed me a letter with the address printed

#2.....I got insurance at my new address for a new vehicle.....They E-mailed me a letter with the address printed

No Florida #3

For #4 &5........ Florida DMV and Real-Id required 2 pieces of mail sent with the new address printed as proof of residence.....I visited the DMV for the first time in the county seat of my address........I used E-mails #1 & 2........printed and folded............got my tag & Drivers License and paid the lady..............................YMMV

Well I can only hope that reasonable people will read the linked article and realize that it doesn’t say that anyone has “to create a connection to anyone in the state” rather than swallow an opinion on a forum as truth.