Dometic CC-40US

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, pretty happy. The unit arrived in perfect shape. I plugged it into my killawatt and then into 110 power in my house. It read 72 degrees on the lcd. Ambient house temperature is 75 degrees. It kicked the compressor on after I set the unit to 32. It ran for 30 minutes at 60 watts (plus or minus a watt or two). Stopped when it hit 32... a few seconds later lcd read 30.

I opened it, put my hand inside to feel the wall, and felt a tiny bit of frost near the top , a few inches below the opening for the lid.

Pretty impressive. Right now it is showing 2.2 watts being used while it is idle.

One last note... I didn't see the pdf of the manual anywhere with this info listed, but the unit is listed to use 5.5 A at 12v, 2.2 A at 24v, and 1.0 A at 120v.

It says that the annual energy consumption is 51 kWh/year, which is actually lower than the listed usage for the cfx models.

Noise emission is listed at 49dB.

External dimensions are 23" long x 14.4" wide x 17.5" tall.

Weight is listed at 24.3 lbs.

It also notes that at temps higher than 90*F, that it cannot keep the minimum temperature, which is +4*F.

Fill it up packed tight as possible with room-temp water jugs and smaller bottles, no more than 80% full.

Test consumption A1. getting the contents to 12°F then A2. after 24 hours maintaining, rarely opening.

Then repeat at 34° for tests B1 and B2.

If you like of course, standard protocol for science.

Hey! Any more updates on the Dometic CC 40US? It's still on sale at Dyers online and I'll likely commit with one more confirmation that it's a good starter fridge. Thanks for all of the information - I've enjoyed reading this thread.

Confirm you want something that small

​36.8L / 38.9 Qt / 51 cans

A larger capacity one would not use much more power.

Also check pricing against

Truckfridge / Indel-B

"Max Burton" similar quality

Engel, which are more robust, last longer

But if all that checks out, go for it, Dometic / Waeco is a huge international OEM, probably biggest player in this niche.

**John61ct**

Would you mind sharing some personal preferences on a better fridge than the dometic cc40 us!?

I’m still learning A LOT but wanted to know if you have a 12v fridge. You’re last comment said check out the price on other models and to keep in mind the smaller storage capacity of the dometic cc40us. This model seems to be by far the best priced compressor fridge for the size that I’ve found. It’s currently on sale online through dyersonline for 350usd shipped. It seems like a steal...compared to ARB, Max Burton, etc.

I’ll be a solo traveler and have been adjusting my “house dwelling” to suit that of a minimalist. Only using one small shelf in the fridge to test my needs for the past 4 months and it has worked out great. I hesitate with purchasing this (and many other items mentioned from seasoned van dwellers) because of all the hype about getting the BEST out there...I don’t mind buying quality but I hate buying/paying just for the company logo attached.

I have heard great things about Dometic...but realize they may be using a different compressor in newer models (no longer dan foss version??) With that said I’ve also reached out to dometic and they do keep this model under warranty for 2 years (original owner of fridge).

**OWNERS OF DOMETIC CC40US **

Would you guys PLEASE post a couple of pics of your fridge WITH food/drinks inside of the unit.

Thanks everyone!

Yes if you find the size right for you it is a good price.

The brands with better build quality like Engel, probably ARB are usually more expensive but sometimes you can find them discounted.

They are all very energy efficient.

Don't let paralysis by analysis cause you to miss a great deal, Max Burtons were selling very cheap (I think rebranded Waeco/Dometic) but not anymore.

Dometic (Waeco) are so big I believe they make their own Danfoss-style compressor.

All these compressors last forever, but some, e.g. Engel, are apparently noisier than others.

Not an issue for most

I am the noobest of the noobs when it comes to these items, but this was the cheapest fridge with the lowest wattage I could find. 51kwh per year.

I couldn't find one cheaper with these specs. I think if you aim to save money, and the size is acceptable, you can't go wrong.

My unit eats between 2-5 ah or so when it runs, and only runs for a few minutes each 30 mins to an hour. The compressor will eat more amps at first, but then it scales back after a few moments. It seems to run at different speeds depending on the ambient temps. Your situation will vary based on ambient temps. I am using mine in a van that I do not live in, so you may have higher usage. Manufacturer states 51kwh per year in the manual. If you do the math, you'll see the average usage is still very low. Personally, I don't have a reference point, but the unit seems very quiet to me too.

I do think that it runs a bit warmer inside than what the readout says. I ran it at 34 for several days and when I put a laser thermometer to it, it read 38 inside. So now I run it at 32.

It's not as fancy as the cfx models, but also doesnt waste energy with a gimmicky usb charger. I am not a fan of the compressor being on the top of the unit versus the bottom, but again, the price was almost half the comparable model in the cfx line.

just a note on the IR thermometers. they are not the most accurate way to get a temp reading. being off by 4 degrees would not surprise me. if you want an accurate reading use a known good, bulb type thermometer. highdesertranger

What I've noticed is a large temperature gradient between the bottom and top, maybe 10 degrees Fahrenheit. I'd guess the cooling elements are in the bottom of the cooler, another good reason to focus insulation on the bottom.

My power draw also varies, I believe the variance is from differences in the voltage in the 12-14.4v operating system voltage range. My operating amp draw seems to max at about 3 amps, as I measured it DC. Curiously I also measured it AC with a Kill-a-Watt meter, and got higher consumption results similar to those of the above listed specs. There are two different methodologies for measuring energy in AC, and I don't understand that. In any case the conclusion would include large inverter inefficiencies when being operate on AC. I wonder how much you could cut the cost by removing the (cheap?) inverter completely.

My no battery solar power only operating test works in good weather, but I am continuing to degrade my Walmart Marine Deep Cycle. We'll see how long it holds out. My next upgrade will be a better controller to improve available power during daylight hours.

Well, Elissa and I just ordered ours from the same supplier (Dyers). 
Wow, I don't mind telling y'all that made me a touch nervous.

We'll let you know how it goes.

Unca_T

Mine (from Dyers) is still running great. If you read my post (from a few months back) when I first bought it - the first came defective and Dyers had a replacement sent to me before the original was even picked up - free.
Excellent customer service and a decent cooler.

I just went out and found the unit saying 'Err01' which according to the manual means it's defective. It actually says, 'the cooling device has switched off due to an internal fault' and that it can only be fixed by an authorized dealer. I'll get ahold of the Dryers people. Kind of a bummer we're leaving for the RTR next Sunday morning.

Yes once out of warranty parts can cost almost as much as the whole fridge did originally.

If Engels has a big sale again, grab one there, I know people with 10-year old units bouncing around the back of their 4x4s.

John61CT said:
Yes once out of warranty parts can cost almost as much as the whole fridge did originally.

If Engels has a big sale again, grab one there, I know people with 10-year old units bouncing around the back of their 4x4s.

Engels are nice but the space I have will barely accommodate these, so the taller, 'slimmer' coolers will easily fit, whereas the same capacity in a shorter, broader cabinet will not fit.

The Smad units will fit, but again, un-predictable reputation and quality.

Waeco/Dometic are OEM for almost all the lower-priced ones, just relabeled like JCI batts.

Another option, very common on boats is a custom cabinet build, well-insulated if you have the space, can adapt to work around wheel wells, batt box, front passenger footwell etc.

Spillover small freezer to larger fridge space.

Then just wire in stock standard Danfoss-style compressor kit, very energy efficient. Depending on insulation and ambients can keep a pretty big box cold without over-cycling.

Buying in kit form new, not any cheaper, but lots more functionality than a portable box unit.

I have been on the road for a whopping 2+ months and this unit has been great and stores enough for 1 person. I also got mine from Dryers at a great price.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk