Dog Breed Restrictions

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gigi

Reaction score
I have read that many campgrounds have breed restrictions such as pit-/bulls.  What other breeds do you all find are also restricted? 
AND are places that have dispersed camping are as restrictive? 

I had to euthanize my sweet girl of 12-years, a year ago and am ready & looking to adopt another dog.  I want to consider all my options since I am planning to hit the road in a few short months.  

Thank you!

Gigi

Many parks have weight restrictions, not just breed restrictions. My recommendation for a dog if you decide to get one - 20 pounds or under, in good health, at least 3 years old from the shelter so you know what kind of character you are getting, it is housebroken, and it is already past the worst of the puppy-nuts. In a small space, a dog that does not shed is a good thing if you can afford regular grooming. My preference is for one of the sturdy terrier breeds because I require an outdoor companion. Your requirements maybe different. We have even been allowed in supposedly No Pet areas with our little mutt, when larger well-behaved dogs were not welcomed. Also, it is easier to find a place for a small dog to run off leash than a big one. I have gotten away with letting my little mutt run in the mall parking lot before it opens, even with the local cops parked there for Burger King. I could not get away with that if he was a bigger, more aggressive breed.

Not trying to discourage you, but try the fulltiming without the dog for a while and see how you would work it into your lifestyle. Having a pet in an RV is different from having a pet in a house for or apartment. No dog doors, no sleeping late, temperature control takes on a new importance. It is not all beer and skittles.

gcal said:
Not trying to discourage you, but try the fulltiming without the dog for a while and see how you would work it into your lifestyle. Having a pet in an RV is different from having a pet in a house for or apartment. No dog doors, no sleeping late, temperature control takes on a new importance. It is not all beer and skittles.

There is no discouraging me--I will only travel with a dog (or two).   :shy:    Thank you for sharing your knowledge especially the weight of dog!

The private parks are usually the problem when it comes to restrictions. If the dog has to be under 20 lbs, I'll just get a guinea pig instead. I always have had big dogs and camped/traveled with them. Right now, I have a 65 lb chow/shepherd and she will go with me when I leave. She will be restricted from many private parks. Here is a list but keep in mind that it grows over time, it used to be about 3 breeds: https://www.psychologytoday.com/blo...14-dog-breeds-blacklisted-insurance-companies Often the restriction is for "aggressive" breeds. Basically what you are looking at is the restrictions of the property owner's insurance when it comes to breeds, not the park owners themselves.

Thank you so much for that link Snow Gypsy!  I'm not planning on using park campgrounds BUT am trying to educate myself for a "just in case" scenario.  

Gigi

It depends on how the dog looks, too. If you have a lab that resembles a pit bull, then that could be a problem.

I'm not allowed to bring my dog onto the local Air Force Base because she is part pit bull, so that is enough reason for me to not go on there. Having a dog will make your world a little smaller, but so what? It's not like having a large dog is going to completely disrupt your life and make it a true hardship. Sure, there will be inconveniences; many things that matter take sacrifice.

I've taken my dogs almost everywhere over the years. I've always done my part with having a well mannered dog. What has mattered the most is am I causing problems? Most of the time people won't give you grief if you are being respectful and aren't a threat. Renting a place of some sort is when you start having problems. If you have a rig that needs hook ups, then you are putting yourself in a position where you need to do what the owners say when you are on their place. If you are independent of hookups, then you have a lot more freedom in how you want to shape your family.

Generally speaking, the less formal the campgrounds are, the more likely you will be fine- as long as you do your part.

Canine said:
I'm not allowed to bring my dog onto the local Air Force Base because she is part pit bull, so that is enough reason for me to not go on there. Having a dog will make your world a little smaller, but so what?

This is how I feel - the kinds of places that won't allow my dog are the kinds of places I don't want to be.  Just like I wouldn't live in a neighborhood with an HOA, I won't stay at a campground or "RV resort" that has restrictions on pets, vehicle age/type, etc.  There are plenty of other places for us.

I spend my summers in a private RV park. (Sounds glamorous, but it's really not) Anywhoo, the park has a dog breed restriction list based on "insurance regulations". The list includes Akita, Shepherd, Doberman, Pitbull, Chow and Rottweiler. Maybe it's just insurance in Ohio, but I know I tried to get Homeowners Insurance on a house whose tennant had a pit/chow mix. They told me both breeds were viscious and would not even consider insuring the property.

So sad. That's breed profiling!

my_vantasy said:
So sad.  That's breed profiling!

LOL, breed profiling, more like risk profiling. OP, lead with your heart, allow the dog to pick you. You look around a bit and you'll know exactly what I mean. Most of us here live in vehicles with wheels, there's a reason for that. I've realized that if you don't like and accept my dog, chances are I won't like or accept you. Life is full of alternatives, that's part of the adventure. My dog weighs 60 lbs. and I live in a cabover camper with her 6 mo. a year on the road. I like to hike and most small dogs couldn't keep up, point is, what do you like to do?

buckwilk said:
LOL, breed profiling, more like risk profiling. 

The legal term is "breed discrimination" and it's been beaten in a couple of the states that actually tried to make it a law.

Latest posts