Does Your Conscience Bother You?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Iggy

Reaction score
Some of the things that we do as vandwellers may be in the gray zone as far as legality goes. Does that bother you? Things like stealth parking in a town where overnight sleeping in a vehicle is illegal. Or fudging on where you actually live, in order to get vehicle insurance or a drivers license? How about getting food from a church pantry when you don't reside in that town? Hiding a gun for self protection, without a permit? Staying in one spot in BLM land for months at a time? The list could go on .....
How flexible is your sense of right and wrong? I've studied many religions and philosophies, but ended up with just this, Do no harm. Do whatever you want, just don't do something that will hurt someone else. So I don't feel guilty at all, breaking laws or rules, if it isn't affecting others negatively. And I'm not talking about busybodies who want everyone to toe the line or they are going to tattle. There's no pleasing them.
One gal told me recently, " One thing I really like about you, is your flexible morality." Thanks. I think?

For some of these things, legality does not equal morality. A law that prevents people from sleeping in their cars (society calls them homeless) is the real immoral issue. I would have no problem fighting the law there, and they have no right to take the roads away from us. They are public for a reason.

Ten commandments pretty much some it all up, everything else is manmade BS to keep one group dominant over another. Not that I'm religious or anything, but the do no harm or Karma will make for it in the end has and will be my philosophy on life.

The key to your question, at least to me, is the "Do no Harm". If you are staying on BLM land and treating the land with respect then I see no harm. We as a nation are lawyered to the point of everything being illegal. If more people would just mind their own business and as long as someone is not harming someone or themselves, leave them alone.

Same with stealth parking, don't abuse someones property by leaving trash or dumping your sewage in the gutter. Live your life with dignity and integrity to yourself and your beliefs.

When you speak of weapons you are opening a whole new can of worms. Best be reasonably legal in that area or you will find yourself and your Dwelling in jail. Use common sense. Interesting question.

Bob J.

I'm a lawyer, I have no conscience! :)

We all have a conscience based on different values we acquire over our lives. The question is where do our boundaries exist. I try not to judge as I have not walked in everyone else's shoes. Yes, "Do no Harm".

66788 said:

Which leads to the obvious question:

Did they surgically remove it in law school, or is that absence of a conscience a prerequisite for admission? <G, D, & R>

Regards
John

I tackle each of the issues on an individual basis but yes, the premise of 'Do no Harm' is first and foremost. I also practice a lot of 'leave no trace'.

As to stealth parking where it's been declared illegal...no, I won't do it. Simply because I try not to go where I'm unwelcome. I'd rather move on. I also take my money where it's welcome. But then my reasons for being a vandweller don't include living and working in an urban area.

Fudging where I actually live...well I didn't see having my legal address in Green Cove Springs FL to be fudging it so much as to having to provide various levels of government with a land address to send me all their paperwork. I was never actually in the town and would explain to anyone who asked that it was only my mailing address. I lived where I parked and no one much cared, most thought it was adventurous. The only reason I had it was to comply with government regulations that I have an address...:D. Silly rules...:rolleyes:

Staying in one spot on BLM/Crown land for months' - once again something I wouldn't do. I respect that regulation as being for the benefit of all. Besides, one of the neat things about being a vandweller is the ability to readily move on a regular basis.

My morality might be a little less flexible than some in that I work to do what's right and won't knowingly break the law.

Yes, I keep within reason of the speed limit too although I've been known to go slower than the 70mph on the interstate because I like to conserve gas.

I have a Sliding Scale... I'm both honest and loyal to friends and family, treat strangers with indifference or am opportunistic, and am ruthless when dealing with an enemy. So no, my conscience doesn't bother me.

66788 said:

:D

My conscience relates to moral, rather than legal issues. But, that said, I obey the law most of the time. I do sometimes exceed the speed limit.

Rarely, do I do anything that would bother my conscious. If I did, it would have been done inadvertently. The guilt would be short-lived.

The average American, and specifically the home he lives in, does so much harm to the environment and our eco-system that I not only I consider it moral to break those laws, I consider it a moral imperative to break those laws.

To live an average American life in an average American home is to do nearly the MAXIMUM HARM possible to future generations on the entire planet.

How anyone can do it and sleep at night is beyond me. We can only do it by steeping ourselves in ignorance and distractions. We'll do anything to keep us from thinking about our lives and the consequences they're creating.

My question isn't, "Should I break these laws?" My question is "Why aren't I breaking more?"

Bob

our country has gone over the edge with stupid laws. everybody is breaking some stupid law everyday. others have pointed out do no harm, I couldn't agree more. if you are doing no harm and not infringing on someone else's rights, then it shouldn't be illegal, period. so no my conscience doesn't bother me. highdesertranger

Optimistic Paranoid said:
Which leads to the obvious question:

Did they surgically remove it in law school, or is that absence of a conscience a prerequisite for admission? <G, D, & R>

Regards
John

Actually in all truthfulness, I started out with one, but after years of practicing law and realizing that things are rarely black and white, but instead shades of gray, the whole conscience thing just sort of unravels.

To a certain degree I choose to do no deliberate harm to others, but I don't feel bad about the small things like the OP lists.

The average American, maximum harm. What's the next step for these evil people ?