Does the time change mess you van dwellers up?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

graycurlsvanning

Reaction score
I know that for those of us still stuck in fixed homes, many (most?) people I talk to hate changing their clocks. Does it have a greater impact on those of you moving about in-between different time zones or is it no bother because life styles are more flexible? Do tell...thanks.

I find it the general, low-grade nuisance I always have. The fall change does have a bigger impact on temperatures—as the nights get longer, daylight hours matter more, so having the sun come up an hour earlier makes mornings a little more comfortable for me. (I’m usually up by 5.) If I’m camping near the California/Arizona border and moving back and forth often, I’ll just hard set my phone, etc. to one of the time zones so I don’t have to switch every two weeks.

That depends on if you are doing a lot of moving around to different time zones. It is entirely possible to stay in just one time zone all year moving south for winter and north for summer. For instance Maine in summer and Florida in winter. Or you can even do the seasonal change in just one state such as Arizona where there are warm winter areas and cool mountain summer areas. Arizona does not does not do daylight savings time changes, it opted out of that.

We Winter in Quartzsite Arizona.................NO clock changing

For shopping trips to nearby Blythe California we need to carefully check closing times

I agree with the fall change causing anxiety. There is always that mid to late October push to get things in order before the winter time change. For the nomads who move south for the winter to stay in nearly 70 degree climate it will still require adjustments to living arrangements, budgets (think fuel), and planning itinerary .

There is such a thing as a "Sun Clock" that graphically displays the globe laid out flat and the areas in light and dark. This moves slowly across the globe thru the 24 hour day. The "Sun" icon shows the latitude the Sun is focused on with the "Moon" icon following.

It is handy for keeping track of how close darkness is from your location. Sun Clock at this moment...change_time_to_City_near_you

sunmap.php

tp.gif
tp.gif

Last edited:
That depends on if you are doing a lot of moving around to different time zones. It is entirely possible to stay in just one time zone all year moving south for winter and north for summer. For instance Maine in summer and Florida in winter. Or you can even do the seasonal change in just one state such as Arizona where there are warm winter areas and cool mountain summer areas. Arizona does not does not do daylight savings time changes, it opted out of that.
I guess I need to figure out those states for sure!! Changing time seems so crazy to me honestly.

Not really... I don't go by a clock anymore.... hell I have trouble remembering what month it is, let alone what day... and faahgitaboutit on hours...

Not all of Arizona unfortunately as the reservations do observe daylight savings time. There is a theory that people that do morning exercise outdoors in morning sun are more productive and therefore healthier. Living remotely as a retired person doesn’t require much of a schedule or a clock until you go to town.

I think if changing clocks is that annoying... you have too many clocks :p . Anything hooked up to the internet or GPS will change automatically... phones, computers, newer cars. I really like DST in the summer. The idea is to keep sunlight more in sync with people's schedules, and for it to be dark when most are sleeping.

I know that for those of us still stuck in fixed homes, many (most?) people I talk to hate changing their clocks. Does it have a greater impact on those of you moving about in-between different time zones or is it no bother because life styles are more flexible? Do tell...thanks.
Doesn't bother me at all, really. I go to bed and get up whenever I feel like it. No clock is consulted.

The only time I notice it is sometimes in spring when I travel between Quartzsite, AZ, which does not impose Daylight Savings Time, and Blythe, CA, which does.

The only time I pay attention to time is when I need to sync up with someone else (doctor appointment at 10:45).
.....I really like DST in the summer. The idea is to keep sunlight more in sync with people's schedules, and for it to be dark when most are sleeping.
So keep your 'sun schedule' and ignore the clock. There are numerous studies linking changing the clock with health issues; it's especially hard on children:
https://evidencebasedliving.human.c.../the-health-effects-of-daylight-savings-time/

So keep your 'sun schedule' and ignore the clock.
The great majority of people are on a clock schedule so this isn't an option. Also if you are able function on a sun schedule, then the time change shouldn't effect you either. BTW, didn't see anything about children in that link.

I sometimes do not know what day it is much less what time it is. Fortunately It does not matter very often as I generally try to avoid making appointments.

Last edited:
I sometimes do not know what day it is much less what time it is. Fortunately It does not matter very often as I generally try to avoid making appointments.
My pets are certainly on some sort of schedule for sure which seems to revolve around time because when the clock changed, as it did last night where I live, my cat is still yowling for me to wake up and feed her the same "time" I usually do. So true for the dogs that I had. Slowly I would find that they got used to the difference, as do I. This of course is different for wild animals, who read the environment around them by different factors to find food and shelter. I still find it so amusing that we as humans feel that we can change time. Unless there is some physicist that I don't know of, I don't believe we can really change it yet. Can't go back, only forward and sadly only live in this 3D world...I think?? :unsure: