Do you LOVE coffee?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
frater secessus said:
What I really want is the simplicity of the melitta + filter but with the added ability to brew the coffee in standing hot water for 5mins without pouring over in real time. Does anyone make something like that?

My first instinct is to glue a small piece of rubber to a popsicle stick and wedge it through the viewing ports in the melitta to block the outlet nipple.  After five minutes I'd move the rubber seal and the brewed coffee would flow through.  Here is a shot of the side with the outlet nipple visible:

It's called the 'Clever Coffee Dripper'....comes in two sizes....18 or 22 bucks at Sweet Maria's.

https://www.sweetmarias.com/product/clever-coffee-dripper-small

[img=234x234]https://d2qq4423n7kgsb.cloudfront.n..._367x367-jpg-keep-ratio.jpeg?1469228845[/img]
The stopper releases when you set it on a cup. :cool:
BTW...when I used mine I always set it on a paper towel or two in case it leaked...it never did. Used it for about two years...it's still in the cupboard.

I use a simple pourover thing-a-ma-jig. The right filter choice helps with steeping time.
As for the coffee, I buy a few different brand but generally a kona blend of some type mixed with ethiopian.

johnny b said:
It's called the 'Clever Coffee Dripper'....comes in two sizes....18 or 22 bucks at Sweet Maria's.
BTW...when I used mine I always set it on a paper towel or two in case it leaked...it never did. Used it for about two years...it's still in the cupboard.

Noice!  And a little cheaper at Amazon with 2day shipping.  I'll keep it in mind.

Ok, I ran a proof of concept with a butter knife and a slice of rubber stopper from my homebrewing gear.  It is surprisingly difficult to get a clear shot of (shiny parts, black parts, shadows) but hopefully you can see what's going on.

It doesn't leak, and so far the little rubber disc has stayed on the knife when I pull it out; didn't expect that.  The chunky knife handle is too heavy so it doesn't currently balance without grounds in it.  A lighter crosspiece should work fine.  

Next time I'm in a thrift store I will look for a smaller/lighter butter knife.  <-- did I mention I'm cheap?  I got the melitta for $0.50 on clearance at a grocery store and I use regular filters because they are lots cheaper.  :)

If I'm buying a cup of ready made, it's DD or Einstein's in no particular order. The BJs Wholesale Club in town does carry the DD brand 5 lbs bags and that works out well. When using a Mr Coffee, I am sure to use ice cold water. Along with cream, I will add just a touch of vanilla extract and instead of sugar or honey, I like Blue Agave (also from BJs). 

While camping in the thick stuff, I have learned to appreciate "cowboy coffee"... a scoop of grounds mixed with powdered milk, topped with boiled creek water.

I use a Jetboil with the French press. Very fast at making hot water, very! The pot has fins on the bottom that work as a heat sink. I can boil 2-3 cups in 2-3 minutes.

jetboil-zip-big.jpg

So much so that this thread inspired me to actually do the cleaning ritual of the countertop Mr Coffee machine for the first time.
I'll find out tomorrow if my efforts were worth it.

My morning go-to is Folgers Black Silk, with sugar, sometimes cream. Must have good bottled water to make it with. Trying to figure the best method to do this is a vehicle. That JetBoil looks promising, or battery power/solar that can take the wattage needed by a regular coffee maker. Not there yet!

I like "gourmet" coffee, its one thing I spend a little extra on. I usually buy it ground and try different brands. I use a french press and drink it black or with almond milk. I do the paleo thing so no additives in my life! 

I find with good coffee I drink less and the three cups my press produces is perfect. I can drink the run of the mill coffee all day and it ends up hurting my stomach. 

Heating water can be done in many ways and I think the french press is truely the way to go. Also, I've never been charged for filling a thermos of hot water out of the coffee maker tap at a gas station...

Hi All.  If anyone is interested I'm doing some coffee method testing, yes, that's my kind of testing!  This test assumes not much solar.

So far, the Mr. Coffee 4-cup electric - 6 min to brew.  No need to boil water.  Little to clean up.  Need the generator.
Pour over - 6 min to brew with babysitting, after near-boil water.  Little to clean up, and don't need the generator.
French Press - longest brew/steep time, more water than I would like to clean up.  Might get grounds in cup.  Don't need the generator.
Percolator - 8 min to brew after near-boil water.  More water than I would like to clean up.  Don't need the generator.
Instant - Just the nearly boiled water.  No clean-up.  Takes up less space in the van.  Does not taste as good.

Any other ideas I'm missing?

duckwonder said:
Hi All.  If anyone is interested I'm doing some coffee method testing, yes, that's my kind of testing!  This test assumes not much solar.

So far, the Mr. Coffee 4-cup electric - 6 min to brew.  No need to boil water.  Little to clean up.  Need the generator.
Pour over - 6 min to brew with babysitting, after near-boil water.  Little to clean up, and don't need the generator.
French Press - longest brew/steep time, more water than I would like to clean up.  Might get grounds in cup.  Don't need the generator.
Percolator - 8 min to brew after near-boil water.  More water than I would like to clean up.  Don't need the generator.
Instant - Just the nearly boiled water.  No clean-up.  Takes up less space in the van.  Does not taste as good.

Any other ideas I'm missing?

I don't know what to call it, and have never seen another, but I have a little device with a ring that sits on the lip of the cup with a little cloth mesh bag that hangs down inside. I wait a couple minutes after filling the cup with hot water and it's good to go. Easy to make one hot, fresh cup at a time. I too love Folgers Black Silk when I can't afford to buy thepremium  beans and grind my own. My favorite method is the french press, but it cools off too quickly for me.

I enjoy my coffee much better with Honey. Was putting Splenda in it for centuries. Read honey is some pretty good stuff.

MS. Harvey(been gone long time ago, RIP), she made the best Maxwell House coffee, she used a percolator on a s&B gas stove. I never knew what she did to make it so good. But it sure was good in the morning with her fresh from scratch biscuits, before heading out to put up chain link fence all day in Charlotte, NC(1975). 
Remembering Ms. Harvey. :heart:

Queen said:
I tried the 8 O'clock and agree with your assessment.

I like thick dark coffee, so I use two heaping 1/4 cup scoops in a 10 cup coffee maker, makes a nice tasty cup.

Now that's what I call coffee, Queen!!