Do you LOVE coffee?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you mean the cheapie $10 proctor silex drip coffee makers, just be aware they take forever to brew a pot. I mean like go take a shower, brush your teeth, and get dressed, forever.

duckwonder said:
I might be able to choose a coffee better if I could settle on a method.  I use espresso roast pods at home because it's so convenient and tastes awesome but in the van?  Great to hear what you all are doing.  Was thinking of just a small electric coffee pot (the $10 variety).  I need to run my genny a little to help charge the battery each day so I thought I might be able to get away with this.  Does anyone do this?

it's the way it's done (running the generator for multi-purpose). might as well nuke some oatmeal once the coffee is brewed too.

When in the camper, one of two coffees will do:

Kicking Horse Coffee...ahhhh. First had it at Overland Expo and can't recommend it highly enough. "Grizzly Claw" is my current passion. Company is in BC and they make some seriously great coffee (organic, fair trade and sustainable...yada yada).

My ultimate favorite, however, is Joshua Tree Coffee Company's "The First Roast". Seriously...this stuff is the best. You can buy it online and even after shipping it's never more than a few days since it was roasted. Fantastic coffee...if you are a coffee lover and are in JT (the town) go have a coffee in person...it's unbelievably good.

Ok, what are the shortest methods to a great cup of coffee other than instant coffee?

A Bunn Coffee maker keeps the water at brewing temperature at all times. 12 cups take 3 minutes. I preferred finer, darker roast due to the limited steep time. Those are not very practical on the road due to the fact they always hold water and take power around the clock.

With coffee and tea both I have been down the expensive as well as the cheaper routes. In the morning it is more about the buzz, later in the day it is something to be savored. Out if the seven ways I had to make coffee in the trailer my favorite was my mini moka espresso maker because it delivered right into a cup leaving nothing to be washed. It became pitted over the years and I started using a stainless steal regular moka pot. They take a lot of grounds foe a cup so even Maxwellhouse comes out fine. A treat is Bustello with some sweetened condensed milk and chocolate. It has been a long time since I ground my own beans.

If I make a pot, I make chock full of nuts, if I use k-pods,I like either Krispy Kreme or Dunkin’ Donuts coffee.

Boyntonstu said:
I bought green beans and roasted them, etc., yet the best coffee that I could make was never as good as the few great cups that I bought.

I've had a similar experience; never able to recapture those first few cups of great coffee.   I'm sorry to tell you,  but it's very much like drug addicts,  especially junkies and speed freaks.  They are forever chasing that very first rush.   

One thing I've found on the road :  drink generic instant for a week or two  (for the caffeine ) , then get some good coffee, even star*ks,
and you MIGHT love it.   It works for me.

Pat

I like the taste of coffee but not the effects of the caffeine ..

Amazing to me how many people can't function without their coffee.

Years ago I bought a tin of the International Foods instant coffee  because it tasted so good and it seemed like everyone else on this planet drank coffee except for me.  I drank a cup every morning and it was very good but when the tin was empty I didn't buy another one.

Wow - did I have a headache for a few days.

I decided there was no way I wanted to get hooked on that stuff and rarely drink it, unless I have a piece of chocolate cake which absolutely requires a hot cup of decaf for total enjoyment.

If I did drink coffee, I would use a burr grinder and a FRENCH PRESS 

(Here is the link: http://www.thekitchn.com/how-to-mak...coffee-cooking-lessons-from-the-kitchn-113601)

So there .. not very helpful but just my two cents, for what it's worth.

I love Coffee and am forever chasing that perfect cup. I sometimes use a Keurig but I use reusable cups so I can put in the beans of my choosing, i've yet to find any of the disposable Keurig options that I truly like.

Most days I french press my coffee, it doesn't take that long and it's easily adaptable to life on the road.

This is the press i've been using for the last 4 years and I really like it. Also good for traveling as it's not glass and won't break.
https://www.amazon.com/Secura-Stain...782911&sr=8-3&keywords=stainless+french+press

I also have this one for backpacking, nothing better than a good cup of coffee on a multi day backpacking trip.
https://www.campsaver.com/snow-peak-titanium-cafe-press.html

As far as beans go, I'm always looking for good ones, don't have a favorite at the moment, def going to order some of the suggestions on this thread.

Cammalu said:
I buy a Costa Rica coffee that is smooth and delicious

Alas, I've been to Costa Rica and seen how the workers on those plantations (mostly immigrants from Nicaragua) are treated.....

Though I imagine they probably aren't treated better anywhere else either.

:(

I like my coffee but I just use a percolator. it's simple and easy. highdesertranger

I buy fresh roasted beans from a local shop, grind with a burr grinder, brew in an unbreakable double wall SS french press...yummy!
Use search function to find the many posts on this subject.

For a coffee inspired laugh, here is Denis Leary..."Coffee Flavored Coffee"...warning, very nasty language.
[video=youtube]  :D

Yes I do love my morning coffee and have been trying to decide how to make it on the road. I thought since I would/could use a tea kettle for water I could use one of the pour over methods and not purchase a camp peculator.  Sorry but I do like MickyD's coffee. :blush:

I never drank coffee UNTIL the organic whole bean I found 3 years ago. o.M.g. sooo good! Visiting family and company says I've never tasted coffee this good. I am a coffee snob with this stuff!

it's a secret btw.

A secret? Whyever for?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

For my tastebuds, the best coffee is made in a press.  But in the last year I have been changing my approach a bit for two reasons:

1. presses are hard enough to clean in a kitchen with endless water.  I don't want to do that in a van.
  2. the press' lack of filter passes through the yummy oils that are said to increase cholesterol levels.  Life is unfair.   :(   And my my primary has started scolding me about my levels.
So I've started putting the grounds in a widemouth pint mason jar, [holding for 5 minutes] then pouring it all into a melitta pour-over with a coffee filter in it.   Easier and less water-intensive to wash but still not optimal.

What I really want is the simplicity of the melitta + filter but with the added ability to brew the coffee in standing hot water for 5mins without pouring over in real time. Does anyone make something like that?

My first instinct is to glue a small piece of rubber to a popsicle stick and wedge it through the viewing ports in the melitta to block the outlet nipple.  After five minutes I'd move the rubber seal and the brewed coffee would flow through.  Here is a shot of the side with the outlet nipple visible:

Melitta-Pour-Over-Coffee-Maker.jpg

If it works I'd refine the design and materials.

frater secessus said:
So I've started putting the grounds in a widemouth pint mason jar, [holding for 5 minutes] then pouring it all into a melitta pour-over with a coffee filter in it.   Easier and less water-intensive to wash but still not optimal.
That is brilliant!