"Do Not Disturb" While Working?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
MrNoodly said:
Right. The only times I've ever been approached while in my van, with the doors closed, were by friends I was camping with or, a couple of times at night, by the police. I've been approached a few times, while in a shopping center or city park parking lot, sitting in my doorway, by goodhearted people offering skeevy vagabond me some food. But mostly people avoid us. We make them uncomfortable. 
I agree. I have been shuttling between the 2 Walmarts in Great Falls, MT for about 2 weeks. 
I had a nutcase come to my door - which was open - dressed weird and asking for my papers. I told him to clear off. Last I saw of him was talking to 2 police officers in the wm parking lot with them looking totally puzzled. 
I try to be friendly and welcoming but I have not spoken to a soul since I have been here. I sit on my door drinking coffee and smile at everyone but other campers just don't seem to be very friendly. One doesn't like to impose or be a nuisance.

slow2day said:
My experience is much different. Just about in every campground I've ever been to people have either started friendly conversations with me or Ive started one with them. There is always something you can choose to start small talk about that pertains to camping or the lifestyle. The different rigs. Campground conditions. Bear danger. Someone's cute little pet. Then there's the old standby: The weather :)

Had some good experiences but not lately. Without a doubt Leadville has been the worst so far. Actual rudeness. I have sort of given up.

izifaddag said:
Sounds good but that was not my experience of Quartzsite last winter. I was there in November and January.

If you go back you might want to let the people on this forum know where you are parked. Some of us camp in the LTVA La Posa South and if you are self contained you can camp with us. If not you just have to move closer to the restrooms.

There are many clubs in Quartzsite that cater to hobbyists if you are so inclined. I really like the rock and gem club. It’s $20 a year. I’m in a quilting club as well.

There are gatherings here and there throughout the season and HOWA maintains a FB group called We Camp Together that you can join to look for other campers.

This one will be at Dome Rock and is just an example of the gatherings taking place throughout the winter around Q.
53f6fbd9cfe80e19f79db32cf6444c90.jpeg

"the sock on door"

It's a roommate thing....means you got lucky and need privacy.

Latest posts