Do I need a tent?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have been looking at this one it says 6'6" I don't know if that is overall or inside. does anybody have any feedback on this. highdesertranger

highdesertranger said:
I have been looking at this one it says 6'6" I don't know if that is overall or inside.  does anybody have any feedback on this.  highdesertranger

The link did not come out in the post. Have a name for it?

I put this one up at the January RTR and it came through like it was brand new. I literally could not reach up and connect the top clip, on of the tall guys had to reach up and do it. Highly recommended.

http://amzn.to/2cyLO1d
Bob

akrvbob said:
I put this one up at the January RTR and it came through like it was brand new. I literally could not reach up and connect the top clip, on of the tall guys had to reach up and do it.  Highly recommended.

http://amzn.to/2cyLO1d
Bob

Bob; did that have to endure any high winds ?

It wasn't a real bad year, but yes, there were a few strong winds. I don't believe they were so bad anyone's stuff was blown down though.
Bob

That's one of my concerns with the Runaway Campers, having a potty in someplace like Quartzite when it's windy, of in other places when it's raining

I mostly lurk here (can't leave due to family obligations). I live in North Dakota, where very windy conditions are normal, and storms with 60+ mph winds are not unusual. I've extensively researched tents and decided that for me the Browning Glacier Tent was the best option: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0064OMR5C/
Browning (a division of Alps Mountaineering) is well rated as a manufacturer. This tent has heavier fabrics and zippers, heavy duty aluminum poles, and a lifetime warranty.
Manufacturers specs are at http://www.browningcamping.com/products/tents/glacier-6-feet
A video review is here
(The floorsaver they refer to in the video is an extra purchase.)

Browning also makes a privacy shelter that looks well made: http://www.browningcamping.com/products/tents/privacy-shelter
What I especially liked about this shelter is that it's bigger than all the others and isn't so narrow at the top, height is 7'2". There's also a video review here (the dog is just having too much fun!!!):

good point bsm. most tent stakes that come with most tents are a joke. highdesertranger

I can't speak for this tent, but I had a buddy with a Browning camp chair and it was simply the best one I've ever seen--bar none. I have a Browning sleeping bag which is the single biggest mummy style bag I've ever seen. All mummy bags make me claustrophobic--they are so cramped with no elbow room. This Browning is amazing, favorite bag I've ever owned. http://amzn.to/2cufnjp

Based on the Browning name alone plus that tent looks to be very well designed and made, I'd strongly consider it.
Bob

I'm considering tent camping from my car for the summer and searching the forums for more information. Because I have a child and a small car, a tent will be necessary to sleep. Anyone have more information or posts to point me to?

I have been searching and the Ozark tents at Walmart are very reasonably priced...even instant set up styles.
If I was going short-term or deciding on this lifestyle, I would go cheap before dropping $400 on a tent (there is always other stuff needed) over $119 for an 11-man cabin style or the $39 4 man that takes 2 mins to put up. Drop another $5 to waterproof tent--get all seams done and another $10 for a tarp to cover the ground.

It's summer time so heat not an issue for most and even so, spend more on a good sleeping bag and comforter to sleep on...air mattress and a solar kit for powering your little electronics.  For $400 you can get;
* tent
* hammer
* sleeping bag
* air mattress
* one/two burner butane stove--heat water in car (sit in heat) before using your burner to save butane or propane...a $5 Fresnel lens will heat water to a boil as well so to cook rice (30 mins) turn burner to lowest setting (I am in So Cal and the sun blazes here so good for me, maybe not you)...you can really stretch a $4 butane can this way and mass cook knowing your cooler will sat cold for a week!
* solar kit (there are good and bad ones out there)--this might push the $400 budget
* Coleman Extreme cooler--five days of ice and then do a simple hack to extend that with insulation--dig a hole to bury for even more duration and cover. This guarantees a week of cold ice at 90...many confirm this...the extra hack makes it even better for cheap.
This guy lays it out well!

Then hit the 99 cent store or equivalent for tons of other goodies;
* complete first aide kit items
* scissors
* tape
* utensils
* paper plates
* baggies of all kinds
* rope and more rope
* bungie cords
* cups. plates, pans

Find a good water storage device over plastic bottles (heat and plastic for water no good)

Find a 5 gallon bucket for a portable toilet...more baggies...they sell a seat on Amazon for $20
that perfectly fits over these buckets or make one or...

Obviously, if you plan on long-term or have the cash...yes, go for the best!

We'll always have a tent, if only to stay in "tent only" areas. It's also nice to have the extra room. We had one of those Ozarks from Wal-Mart a few summers ago and it went back to the store after a 10 day trip.

Since then, we've been using an Eureka Copper Canyon 6 person tent. It's well over six feet tall and 10'x10'. We put a carpet in there with a queen sized bed. That tent went through a serious hall storm which trashed our Element hood, many hours-long deluges and winds well in to the 40+mph category with no leakage. The windows (3) measure about 5'x 3' and under the fly, it's all screen. It was kinda cold at 19F, though. It's a wonderful tent and we'll miss it. I just can't bend over anymore zipping the door up and down to get in or out. Chalk that up to bad arthritis.

Unfortunately, we won't have room to bring that tent, but we're bringing our 10+ year-old Mountain Hardware 3 person tent.
Ted

ganchan said:
I'm hoping to make regular extended road trips, using bookdocking, car camping etc. along the way, with my days spent driving, sightseeing and hanging out at local shops with Wi-Fi ( :D ) and my evening hours in my vehicle. It looks I should be able to equip a minivan for comfortable nighttime reclining and sleeping at campsites and so forth -- but I wonder if I need a small tent as well. I could see using it to keep my place at campsites, as a changing/washing station etc. (not if I'm staying overnight at Wal-Mart, of course....), but frankly I think I could get more comfortable and sleep better in the vehicle.

Do you use a tent? If so, do you prefer sleeping in your car or van, or does the tent hold special advantages that ensures its occasional use?

One advantage of having a tent is that you can still cook outside of your car even when there are a gazillion nats and 'sketters....

I used to bring along a small dome one and used it as a storage unit for milk crates holding cooking gear, extra water, etc. It came in handy as some camp grounds did not permit sleeping in the vehicle (though I did anyway and was prepared to say I was just lounging and reading and would sleep in the tent later...what was the ranger going to do...wrestle me out of the RAV4 and into the tent, LOL?)

It made the sleeping area in the car more roomy and gave me peace of mind re the wacky ranger rules.