DIY Skylight Idea

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Maybe instead of trying to engineer a skylight it might be better to install a sunroof.

Same effect but engineered already for an automotive installation.

Heck you could probably find one at a wreckers. Installation of it is the same as installing a roof vent only different sizing.

Gideon33w said:
You wont be able to see through it in pretty short order unless the exterior is coated with something. Doubly so if you go with Lexan. They both scratch easily and even grit floating around in the air coming into contact with it while driving will scratch it. A million tiny scratches and the thing becomes basically opaque. There's scratch removing products but they degrade the piece. Bigger issue here in the SW though. UV issues already addressed above.

Also, "Plexiglass" is just a trade name for acrylic. It's like Kleenex and tissue. No actual difference between the two besides name.

The lexan I bought at hd claims 10 years without yellowing. I'm fine with that.

djkeev said:
It always baffles me when people cut holes in perfectly good roofs.

Time causes skylights to leak..... period. Expensive or cheap, they all leak.

Do all roof vents leak ? I attached it exactly the same.

Almost There said:
Maybe instead of trying to engineer a skylight it might be better to install a sunroof.

Same effect but engineered already for an automotive installation.

Heck you could probably find one at a wreckers. Installation of it is the same as installing a roof vent only different sizing.

Already finished it and it turned out pretty good. Video of it on my yt channel for anyone interested. 

I have no regrets. :)

One Awesome Inch said:
Already finished it and it turned out pretty good. Video of it on my yt channel for anyone interested. 

I have no regrets. :)

Glad to have helped...can you post a link to the video?

Thanks for the link.....I watched it and yeah, it looks good to me!

I wish OAI would have shown the view from the inside...

One Awesome Inch please report to the YARC

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sorry for not replying earlier. I have not filmed the inside of my van because it's a mess while I build and live in it. Call it VANity?

OAI
I've viewed the video you posted and I think the skylight is what it is . A functioning skylight for Cheap RV Living..

Cammalu is the Nominator of the YARC .
I'm not exactly sure why you've been nominated but I'm sure it wasn't about the skylight.
I confirmed you for the new use of the word VANity!
Because you shouldn't be self conscious about your rig being under construction.
That just "Ain't Right".
There re many others doing the same thing and we all benefit from seeing how others are creating their rigs.
Show 'er off oooooooieeee.

Drop by and check out the thread and if you find you belong and want to be part of .....well , whatever it is , welcome aboard .
If not , just ignore us cuz we "Ain't Right"!