diy rain gutter clamps for awning, anyone?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Stern! When do you have bouncy bed activities? :idea:
:p

Well, I was referring to when I went to Baja a lot last decade, and would bring a Gringa with me, or let a local Latina take advantage of a mutually pleasurable situation.

But lately some women have decided this particular guy in the Van is not nearly as creepy as social media told them we all were.
Interesting turn around.

My non lead acid batteries have been getting to the proper absorption voltage regularly, for the proper duration, and not alone.
Waves have been good too.

Spring is here.

My last roof rack I drilled 1/2" holes through the side into and through the rails, sealed fender washers with large eye bolts then used large ratchet straps attached to the eye bolts to hold a roof rack to which the awning was attached to. I really like the "Mad Max" look that worked really well for almost 5 years.

Florida boondocker said:
i just used a window lock from a big box store and replaced the turn screw with a eyehook

What a great idea!

I purchased a 9x11 heavy duty silver tarp from harbor freight this weekend, as well as a couple of painter poles (metal from walmart 5 bucks each), some 3/8 rope (50 feet, harbor freight), some stakes (pack of 6 from harbor freight) and some ball bungees (pack of 4 harbor freight).

I was trying to figure out the best way to attach to the van, and saw this thread.

Unfortunately all the Lowe's home improvement stores (all we have where I live) were out of stock. I had to resort to ebay. 

You don't happen to have any pics of your setup, or know the thread size of the eye hooks you used, do you?

I bolted on a couple of stainless anchors, and they have been holding up just fine for over 2 years. I use stainless mini carabiners (clips) to attach the awning to them.

Cheap plastic tarps don't make very good awnings, so I spent about $40 and bought an 8x10 shade sail.

It's reinforced and has strong d-rings at all four corners. You can buy the 'silent' type that wont make any noise in the wind, but they are not waterproof, meaning they will allow rain to drip thru. The waterproof type will shed rain, but do make some noise in the wind. I have both and can tolerate a little noise to gain a shelter from light rain.

I also used painters poles since the metal tent poles I bought just didn't hold up well...the plastic clamps broke.

2017-10-16 12.24.14.jpg

awning-belton.jpg

Attachments

• 2017-10-16 12.24.14.jpg
    2017-10-16 12.24.14.jpg
    77 KB
  • awning-belton.jpg
    awning-belton.jpg
    131.5 KB
tx2sturgis said:
I bolted on a couple of stainless anchors, and they have been holding up just fine for over 2 years. I use stainless mini carabiners (clips) to attach the awning to them.

Cheap plastic tarps don't make very good awnings, so I spent about $40 and bought an 8x10 shade sail.

It's reinforced and has strong d-rings at all four corners. You can buy the 'silent' type that wont make any noise in the wind, but they are not waterproof, meaning they will allow rain to drip thru. The waterproof type will shed rain, but do make some noise in the wind. I have both and can tolerate a little noise to gain a shelter from light rain.

I also used painters poles since the metal tent poles I bought just didn't hold up well...the plastic clamps broke.
 Good idea as well. Never thought to use a shade sail. The tarp I got is very solid, with reinforced rubber triangles around the corners. I have a conversion high top van, so I'm afraid I can't attach any anchors to the roof.

How did you attach the awning to the tips of the poles? I thought about drilling a hole through the tips of each pole and inserting a ring or something and then using either a bungee or rope to tie to the awning (tarp in my case).

Jmel said:
How did you attach the awning to the tips of the poles? I thought about drilling a hole through the tips of each pole and inserting a ring or something and then using either a bungee or rope to tie to the awning (tarp in my case).

I first tried drilling vertically, but the threaded fitting on mine is hollow so that didnt work. I then drilled it horizontally (in a vise) and installed a machine thread eye-bolt and a mini-biner.

If yours is a wooden threaded tip, you could drill and install a small threaded screw 'eye'.

On the next level down, I installed a t-brace and quick clips for the tie-down ropes. I can use just one rope at each corner but if I expect higher winds I use 2 at each corner.

The longer bracket is my lantern hook.

None of it is 'pretty' but it works for me.  :cool: 

2017-10-16 15.40.35.jpg

2017-10-16 15.41.17.jpg

Attachments

• 2017-10-16 15.40.35.jpg
    2017-10-16 15.40.35.jpg
    140.8 KB
  • 2017-10-16 15.41.17.jpg
    2017-10-16 15.41.17.jpg
    111 KB
tx2sturgis said:
I first tried drilling vertically, but the threaded fitting on mine is hollow so that didnt work. I then drilled it horizontally (in a vise) and installed a machine thread eye-bolt and a mini-biner.

If yours is a wooden threaded tip, you could drill and install a small threaded screw 'eye'.

On the next level down, I installed a t-brace and quick clips for the tie-down ropes. I can use just one rope at each corner but if I expect higher winds I use 2 at each corner.

The longer bracket is my lantern hook.

None of it is 'pretty' but it works for me.  :cool: 

Hey brother, my van is a 1990 g20 conversion, so I'm not too worried about pretty :)

My painter poles have plastic threads I think. They are press fitted with little dimples in the metal poles.

I like what you did. I just need to sort it out with these

Brian, what is holding the foot of your poles in place? That looks like a solid surface.

These poles have a rubber handle and that works as a 'foot'...its very stable on packed ground and pavement...I haven't tried it yet in loose sand...

Here is a closer view:

2017-09-11 17.38.11.jpg

2017-09-11 17.37.44.jpg

Attachments

• 2017-09-11 17.38.11.jpg
    2017-09-11 17.38.11.jpg
    32.7 KB
  • 2017-09-11 17.37.44.jpg
    2017-09-11 17.37.44.jpg
    44.4 KB
I see that now. Haven't looked at poles like that in for ever as I have had and used a couple of the same aluminum extension handles for years. I'll be in Home Depot in a day or two....

These are 2-section poles, with the push button and a selection of heights from about 4 feet to maybe 8 feet.

I think they were about $20 a piece...IIRC.

I peeled off the label and then I painted the yellow fiberglass green...so I dont remember the brand name....but they seem well made. There is a fair amount of downward compression when I set it all up and then raise the inner section to tighten everything up, and it's all holding up well. 

It takes less than 5 minutes to set it all up, and less than a minute to take it all down. Then maybe a couple of minutes to fold up the awning material, wind up the rope, and pack it all back in place in the van.

Works good for me!

Something like this?
20171022_144433-1.jpg

Extremely sturdy, clamps to joint floor, not outer lip
20171022_144105-1.jpg

Of course, door won't open on this vehicle. About zero gap.

Attachments

• 20171022_144433-1.jpg
    20171022_144433-1.jpg
    608.3 KB
  • 20171022_144105-1.jpg
    20171022_144105-1.jpg
    141.7 KB
Just got done building my awning today:

Attachments

• IMG_20171026_215931_01.jpg
    IMG_20171026_215931_01.jpg
    382.3 KB
Something I did with a tent awning was to add a spreader pole / bar between the two upright poles using an eye bolt on either end. It kept the awning from dipping in the center so much and allowed me with the addition of some grommets down the sides of the awning to make a wall on the end, handy when the sun gets low.

I have hopelessly crooked hands ... All the people who left comments here and shared their experiences are admirable. I really need a good clamp, and I honestly tried to assemble some simple mount myself, using the examples I found here. But when I look at all these nuts and bolts, I remember all the years spent in music school. My parents forbade me to do household chores so that I wouldn't injure my hands. Thank you, Mom, now I can’t do anything other than play the piano ...

I can't find the video where I saw it. The guy takes a 2" long piece of PVC or ABS pipe and cuts a slit in it. He then drills a hole opposite the slit to attach a loop. He then slides the pipe onto the rain gutter at the slit and rotates it down so that the loop is exposed toward anything that you might want to attach, like an awning.

Haha, bro, I hope you become a really cool pianist. You know, I believe that you can learn something new at any age. And if all this time the art of making something with your own hands was not available to you, you can fix everything if you are really interested in it. Until then, if you need clamps, you can try toggle clamps. Among a wide selection, you can find what you need. And your mom will be calm for a while.