DIY awning with no roof rack?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LeilaLight

Reaction score
I'm sure this is something that others have puzzled through -- I did a keyword search and didn't find a thread, though. 

I'm trying to figure out if I can do a diy sunshade/awning for a van with no roof rack.  I'm not looking for a semi-permanent structure, just a way to make some shade next to the van for day use in non-super windy conditions....

I'm thinking of getting four poles, paracord, and just stake out a tarp next to the van.  Is there an easier solution?

I am a retired telephone guy. In the '70's we camped in a van and put up a tarp over the side doors with two poles guyed out. We used these http://www.linemen-tools.com/product_p/h-4044.htm clamped to the rain gutters on the far side of the van and ran a rope over the top to the tarp. We also used two pieces of conduit (1/2 and 3/4) that would slip inside each other to make adjustable poles with holes drilled through the larger one to accept a small bolt and nut. Had a friend weld a bolt head with the threads sticking out in one end to go through the eye of the tarp. Used the bolt end above the tarp to tie the guy wire to. The guy lines would keep the tarp taught.

I've been thinking a lot about this myself. I was thinking about two tent poles, a large tarp, and some very strong magnets to attach the whole thing to the van.

Another thought was one of those pyramid-shaped canopies that are often quite inexpensive and pack down small. I was considering getting one of those and securing it to the van in some way with magnets.

Personally, I'd love one of the fancy electric ones but those seem to cost roughly all the money in the world.

Those are my only current thoughts, but I've also come to see the need for an awning.

couple of points,

first, where do you go where it's not windy? not out west.

second anything that touches the paint and the wind moves is going to act like sand paper on your paint job. especially if there is airborne dust in the wind.

highdesertranger

I used to put the drivers side toward the north west (still do) as most weather changes come from that direction. When camping where there are windbreaks or in heavily wooded places there is not much wind. I just left the clamps in place. Yes, the wind blows in Texas.

Tarps make lousy awnings. They are noisy in the wind, the grommets pull out, and they look....you know...lousy. 

Much better idea to buy an 8x10 shade-sail, then attach a couple of stainless steel d-rings or stainless shade-sail loops to the roof, near the right side, and use a couple of painter poles or adjustable tent/awning poles, a spreader bar, and  2 or 4 guy lines with stakes.

If everything is bought new, you can build one for about $100.

The nice thing about the plastic tarps are they are cheap and ubiquitous. They do not hold up well though. The tarps we used back then were ripstop nylon or canvas. I don't think they had plastic ones back in the day :)

I've seen reviews of stuff on places like Walmart.com or Amazon.com that they don't stand up to the wind. 

No s*t, Sherlock.  A lot of things don't.  Especially, as HDR said, if you're out west.  

That being said, I still use tarps (and no, they ain't purty) for shade and some protection.  I accept that they are going to make noise, I may need to camp farther away from other people, (they ain't purty, remember) and may give me other problems.  In my case, these are all acceptable. 

How to do it without a roof rack is a challenge .  I would do something like what B&C recommended.  

I'll be using them more this year.  The truck that has been pulling my 6x12 cargo trailer needs transmission work.  
Thankfully, I'll be pulling a small trailer with my 1998 Jeep Cherokee (XJ) and tent-camping.  I plan to use tarps as a rain-fly for my tent.  And when the weather is really bad, just crawl into my Jeep to hunker down.  

Wish you success with your configuration, and that you figure out something that works for you. 

Regards,

WP

Yes I was refering to the cheap plastic tarp that most people buy these days. They make lousy awnings.

An actual canvas tarp would work, but they are kinda heavy and fairly expensive. A nice shade sail can be a lot cheaper, if the main use is an awning. 

In fact, I have used all three...if someone wants to experiment, by all means...

I realize their shortcomings, especially in the wind, but how about a patio umbrella. Though i have never seen anyone advocate for their use, i do see them being used in some of the pics I’ve viewed. 

I have one on the patio of the apartment i live in and plan to take it with me when i hit the road. Testing it is the only way i can determine if it is worth lugging around. 

If you see it in the free pile at the rtr, you’ll know it didn’t work out.

The patio umbrella I have at the S&B stays down all the time because of wind. It only gets put up on a calm day. The base for it has to weigh at least 50 pounds. The pole it is on is long too. Never crossed my mind to try and lug it around.

At one time many years ago we camped in a van.I bought a 1/2 inch stick of cpvc tubing,ran a cut down one side on a table saw.I used some high quality caulk and mounted it to the top of the drip ledge.I then sewed a 1/4 inch rope folded into one edge of a tarp.Left a 6 inch rope end hanging out.put a little vasaline on the rope edge and slide in place.Used a couple of tent poles for the 2 outside corners.Worked very well for several years.

D230391E-4C5C-4DDD-90AA-1BA3CA544427.jpegAn option to the heavy base would be one of these (see photo). They can be staked to the ground.

Attachments

• D230391E-4C5C-4DDD-90AA-1BA3CA544427.jpeg
    D230391E-4C5C-4DDD-90AA-1BA3CA544427.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 49
tx2sturgis said:
Yes I was refering to the cheap plastic tarp that most people buy these days. They make lousy awnings.

Well, I'm going to have to check out sail-sheets.  Thanks for the idea.  
And yeah, the cheap ones (tarps) are really junk.  

I've bought the "heavy-duty" ones to cover stuff while I'm driving, and they will shred in the wind at highway speeds.  

After almost 2 years on the road, I'm still learning!  

Regards, 

WP

Listen, if a guy (or gal) likes using a plastic tarp as awning material, then I'm fine with that and no disrespect intended...it's just that when the question is asked if they make a good awning...in my opinion...nope.

But here is a decent shade-sail...probably not the best quality, but only slightly more expensive than a plastic tarp:

https://www.amazon.com/Sorbus-Sun-S...n&ie=UTF8&qid=1540860009&sr=1-3&keywords=8x10

(I should mention that unless you buy one that is stated as being waterproof, it will allow some rain thru it. So that will also affect which one you buy)

If you buy the stainless hardware kit, for about $15, or stainless D-rings, you can attach the loops to the roof of your van just above the rain gutter (front and back) with heavy duty self-drilling screws and sealant, or you can use metal C-clamps on the rain gutter and avoid drilling. 

Even strong magnets will not hold if you get a light breeze. And as with any awning, if it gets windy, take it down!

Been there, done that.

tx2sturgis said:
Even strong magnets will not hold if you get a light breeze. And as with any awning, if it gets windy, take it down! Been there, done that.

tx2.....what strength magnets have you tried that didn't hold in a light breeze? Been thinking of trying some that are supposed to hold 50-80 lb. I have some rated for 10 lb but I know they won't hold in much of a breeze.

I tried some 3 inch round magnets rated at 90# pull...but that's a straight pull attached to a thick piece of steel.

On thin, painted, curved sheet metal, and being pulled sideways, trust me, they WILL slide and scratch the paint.

I was thinking about the 300#+ industrial magnets with release mechanisms. I figure if they won't hold, no magnet will. :)

my main tarp handles the wind quite well. it's 17'x24' it's impregnated material like what they use on Zodiac's. you ain't going to tear that. ask anybody who's been to my camp it holds up well. bungees on three sides and ratchet straps on the other.

once at the Oregon Sunstone area when I was setting it up I couldn't get one of the important stakes in the ground because the area was underlined with volcanic rock. we had no idea how big the slab was, after trying and trying to find a place to stake it I got out my rotor drill and drilled into the rock then hammered the stake in. I was happy.

so we were sitting under the tarp in the shade one afternoon sipping beers and the wind was blowing fair. everything was good until a dust devil approached it was headed right for us, this thing was huge at least 150ft up. it came right through camp a direct hit. all we could do was sit there and watch. the tarp held just fine. the one stake I hammered into the rock held but it picked up the whole slab. it was at least 5' across both ways and about a foot thick. the energy in that tarp picked that whole slab up at least a foot and it slammed back down to the ground. my buddy and I just looked at each other in amazement. I got up readjusted the guy lines and it was good to go.

come by my camp at RTR and check it out. highdesertranger