diy rain gutter clamps for awning, anyone?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am well used to visualing things that I desire to custom make. I am also very familiar with the contets of hardware stores. Plus I can make a sketch and add measurements to it. In addition I can modify parts I buy to makebthem work by bending, cutting, drilling, etc.

Sketch the rain gutter and add dimensions to the sketch. Go into the hardware store and find a removable pin hinge. The rounded section the pin fits through will fit down into the gutter slot. You get two useablle halves for the price of a sighle hinge!

Find some type of bracket with a hooked edge or even just an L bracket thatb you can cut off one leg to a short length.

Get some screws with wing nuts and some washers to hold the two pieces together.

Buy a grommet tool set that comes with grommets. Add grommets as needed to your tarp. The grommets are placed onto the screws that keep the mounting clamps tightened in place.

Make as many bracket sets as you think are needed.

When you store it away the awning rail brackets stay in place on the edge of the tarp/shade cloth/awning. Saves trying to hunt them down when you need them.

You can coat the metal bracket parts with tool dip to prevent it damag ing the vehicle. The coating will also help keep the brackets from moving, a snug fit into the gutter is desireable.

This posting has been brought to you by a former Boieng aircraft fabrication and installation mechanic. "I see things" and that is a skill that is developed by practice. No one is born as a designer of objects; you just have to practice visualizing and making stuff to aquire the skill.

Hardware stores sell star knobs with various sizes of threading. They are easy to grip with weaker hands. You can use those instead of nuts. Just go to a local hardware store and have the clerks be your consultant for what you can use for fasteners with you limited grip strength. They can show you lots of options that will enable you. You are not the only person ever to exist with weak hands. Just because you have not heard about it does not mean it is not right there in inside a bin, hanging on a rack or in a parts drawer on an aisle you have walked down before.