Apples apples apples

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vanbrat

Reaction score
That time of year again. The apple trees have been heavy with fruit this year and we have done our annual apple pressing party. due to the most recent issues here it was scaled down a bit.. Only about 25 gallons. most of which is going to neighbors and family and friends. But now I get to make applesauce and pie filling and some apple chips and some leather and some other goodies to keep us in apple goodies until next year.

What does this have to do with van living? Not much, but I always take some of these goodies with us when we travel. I freeze the applesauce and the dried apple chips and leathers are great driving snacks. I like to make small apple crisps with the frozen pie filling, and I will make one batch of apple butter for our toasts while out and about. Hubby like applesauce cake so I usually make some and freeze it and take some with us too.
What is your favorite apple dish?

Have you every made fried pies? A southern favorite. You Tube has many videos but here's a very short one to show what they are. I've had them made from dried apple peelings. Very good!

I buy a fresh apple, cut it up, put some lime juice on the slices and put them in a zip lock bag in my small 12v refrigerator. They are tasty in the fall when newly harvested, fresh crop apples, served as a chilled snack. No cooking required!

yea fresh is so good! I don't leave the front door or sit down to a good movie or book or workstation without my bowl of apple slices. But I can't eat 150+ LBS of apples before they go bad. So, cider and apple sauce and pie filling and fruit leather and chips and whatever else I can do with those yummy things.