apple this, apple that

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vanbrat

Reaction score
What is your favorite apple thing? I have been making lots of 'stuff' from all the apples my trees have over produced this year and some of it is going to be traveling with me this spring. Frozen pie filling, apple sauce, cider, and even some apple butter, and next is the dried apple chips and fruit leather. So now what am I missing? I still have about 20-25 pounds to do something with. So, what am I missing? What is your favorite apple thing?

What is your favorite apple thing? I have been making lots of 'stuff' from all the apples my trees have over produced this year and some of it is going to be traveling with me this spring. Frozen pie filling, apple sauce, cider, and even some apple butter, and next is the dried apple chips and fruit leather. So now what am I missing? I still have about 20-25 pounds to do something with. So, what am I missing? What is your favorite apple thing?
Both types of Cider? :) Kombucha? Vinegar? 25 lbs of apples should only come out to about 5-8 lbs of dehydrated apple rings...

Look up a recipe for Southern Fried apples. Note, they are not deep fried. It is a skillet dish made to use as a hot side dish for pork, chicken, etc. perfect for the holidays! It should freeze just fine.

You can also grate apples to add to breads such as muffins or loafs. But as is said, which is very true for nomads with storage space limitations, you can’t take it all with you. Apple muffins and pies would be very unlikely to ever make it into my freezer! They would just get stored as a layer of extra padding on my body.

Last edited:
Now I will look up Kombucha and see if I can do that
The Kombucha will use the apple for flavoring but 25 lbs of apples is enough to flavor maybe 30 - 40 gallons of Kombucha :) I wonder if you can make fermented apple pickles though...

What is your favorite apple thing?
Apple crisp would be my favorite, but last year I really got into cooking a pile of apples together with a bag of fresh cranberries, for the nutrition the cranberries add and because it just looks festive in the dish. ☺️

Add a little brown sugar, orange juice or rind, cook til soft and eat with a good sprinkle of granola on top.

Keeps well in the fridge, and you could can this as you would applesauce, I’m sure.

Apple crisp would be my favorite, but last year I really got into cooking a pile of apples together with a bag of fresh cranberries, for the nutrition the cranberries add and because it just looks festive in the dish. ☺️

Add a little brown sugar, orange juice or rind, cook til soft and eat with a good sprinkle of granola on top.

Keeps well in the fridge, and you could can this as you would applesauce, I’m sure.
sounds good and maybe if the cooked part if it was cooked 2/3 through then frozen it would travel well until zapped for breakfast. With oatmeal and I am learning to make my own granola...
Look up a recipe for Southern Fried apples. Note, they are not deep fried. It is a skillet dish made to use as a hot side dish for pork, chicken, etc. perfect for the holidays! It should freeze just fine.

You can also grate apples to add to breads such as muffins or loafs. But as is said, which is very true for nomads with storage space limitations, you can’t take it all with you. Apple muffins and pies would be very unlikely to ever make it into my freezer! They would just get stored as a layer of extra padding on my body.
Apples keep pretty good if kept cool and dry but maybe the grated ones could be frozen to pack and I love just about anything appley. We are having a bonfire tomorrow (if the rain holds off) and I will be fire roasting some. Just poke them on a stick roast slowly until the peeling is starting to crackle off then peel and roll in cinnamon and sugar and return to fire roast until a bit soft and the sugar is cooked to taste. I like mine caramelized and juice is dripping. Eat hot and sticky and drippy. Some people like to also roll in chopped nuts, some just like them plain and roasted...

Seems like many youtubes show a variety of meal preps involving apples. And then I saw a holey homedepot 5gal bucket with a carjack used to press juice into a pan. IF only we had that many apples! Love me some fresh juice to use instead of OJ.

Junior Johnson’s Midnight Apple Pie Moonshine should solve most desires! Lol!!!

Seems like many youtubes show a variety of meal preps involving apples. And then I saw a holey homedepot 5gal bucket with a carjack used to press juice into a pan. IF only we had that many apples! Love me some fresh juice to use instead of OJ.
At my home base in Seattle that was in an industrial building one of the neighbors annually on a fall weekend set up a cider press and held a big gathering. Lots of his friends arrived with pre washed apples. The results were shared with cups of fresh cider plus those who brought lots of apples went home with gallons of the stuff. No telling if they made Apple Jack with it or not. He and his friends did the annual Trek to Burning Man.

He passed on about 5 or so years ago. His widow held a big estate sale in their unit. Quite a lot of the aluminum angle I used to frame the new cabinets in my vintage travel trailer were purchased at that estate sale as well as a fair amount of the wires used for the electrical circuits. All new materials that he had accumulated over the years for his business.

We had our annual big fall cider pressing 2 weeks ago. We had neighbors and folks come with their apples too, we got 50-70 gallons done that day and the following day... Hayrides in little 4+4 wagon thing and lots of kid games, a hay pile treasure hunt and hot dog roasting and hubby is working on mini golf course so that too. Potluck dinner and just fun for all of us. It is a big ol' wooden press, handmade 1/2 by me half by friend's dad. He made first part with no motor. I added the motor 'cause that was just crazy.
There is always someone wanting to know about making apple jack, but I have never had any cider left after about March so no Apple jack it just doesn't last that long...
We have been doing this for 15+ yrs and don't know how much longer we can do it. It is a lot of work. The teens that have been coming for years now run the press (with supervision) and we have 2nd generation kidos now coming. It has been good for kids to see it go from tree to bucket to press to cup..
I now have 5-6 gallons in my freezer one for a work dinner hot and spicy in the crock pot, one for Thanksgiving, one for my son and one for his in laws, one for my mom, one for Christmas dinner.
But still think if I could only do one thing with apples it would be applesauce. I love homemade apple sauce. and I prefer freezing it over canning. Canning is fine if you don't have a freezer but if possible, I like frozen. It changes it just a bit and it is smoother and creamy almost. It is my go-to food if I am sick sometimes the only thing I can eat. I always pack a bag for when we are traveling maybe 2-3.

With what we are dealing with, with hubby and his cancer my kids have been teasing each other about who gets stuck clearing out his junk and no they didn't start that joke he did as in "if I die you two get to clean out this s#$%t. So be nice or I will add more". But to be sure there would be one heck of a garage sale here.