DIY high top?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Getting all my questions out in one burst here today. 
I'll start off by saying that I respect that this is somewhat of a hair brained idea.

I see a lot of do it yourself truck campers. One person made the sides out of weight relieved birch ply and then glued insulation and then aluminum sheet over that.

scamper-on-truck.png

No 2x4s, or aluminum rails, and it ends up being a pretty light weight rig.

Got me to thinking that I could cut a hole in a van roof and build a high top pretty easily (in my mind, that is). 

Did a search and only found this,

1280x1280_Cyrus_Thumb1

(be pretty fun to have that back top hatch open up into a partially outdoor bed)

I don't think this wood one is pretty at all, but it does get an idea across.
Does not seem that it would be much heavier then a fiberglass top, if at all.
I don't see that attaching one would be any more difficult than fiber glass.
This green van above has a nice aluminum frame, but I think a wood frame like the truck camper top above with a layer of insulation and then a skin of aluminum outside of that would work well.

I don't think it would cost much more then $1000.
Maybe I've gone of the reservation again, though.
What do you think?

"It's your van" right? :)

I would look around for a used high top. I have seen them on occasion on craigs list for a couple of hundred bucks. check out wrecking yards also. seems to me a little searching and you can find one pretty cheap. highdesertranger

I thought about using a boat turned upside down. It would just look from the outside like a sportsman was parked. I suppose you would have to make it look like it was chained down, or people would be trying to steal the boat.
A camper shell for a truck might work as well.