Dish TV

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Oopslala

Reaction score
I've decided I'm going to get some form of tv once I leave Colorado and work my way to Arizona.  Right now the plan is the tailgator the using dish pay as you go plan.  I found a thread that said the tailgator is awful, so I'm looking for some advice.  I've tried to look up most threads but it's hard because I only have my phone for searching.  

If those of you using it could give me some opinions on what you use and the quality of it, that would be greatly appreciated.

I'm also debating if I should install it myself or have it done in a shop.  Is the installation as easy as securing the satellite on top and drilling a hole for the cable to the tv, or do you have to have 12v going to it as well?

I've had a Tailgater for years and love it. Where we camp it can be the only thing that will connect, no buffering, wonderful HD picture, truly unlimited. I'm not saying there may not be something better but the Tailgater works just fine.

I never thought about mounting mine, I have it on a 100 ft leash for the best reception. You don't need 12v to the dish, it is provided by the satellite receiver. You can find them as a set for $300 and up.

I just noticed that you asked about 12v power in your original post. I'm reasonably sure you need separate 12v for the tailgater because of the need for it to aim itself.

I know for a fact that you do not need any addition power for a tripod setup, the dish itself is powered by the receiver.

The power for the Tailgater is provided by the receiver that requires 120v, hence a inverter just so you know. There is no aiming it, I set on the ground and turn on the receiver and TV. A few minutes later the dish is aimed and everything is loaded, ready to go.

Good to know, Jim. I wasn't sure having never dealt with one of those. I also didn't realize that you meant having the tailgater on a leash, I assumed you meant a normal dish on a tripod for some reason.

In that case it seems like the tailgater is a pretty neat toy as long as you don't mind investing in it. I don't really see any downside to it other than the price tag.

Oopslala said:
I've decided I'm going to get some form of tv once I leave Colorado and work my way to Arizona.  Right now the plan is the tailgator the using dish pay as you go plan.  I found a thread that said the tailgator is awful, so I'm looking for some advice.  I've tried to look up most threads but it's hard because I only have my phone for searching.  

If those of you using it could give me some opinions on what you use and the quality of it, that would be greatly appreciated.

I'm also debating if I should install it myself or have it done in a shop.  Is the installation as easy as securing the satellite on top and drilling a hole for the cable to the tv, or do you have to have 12v gong to it as well?

I bought a refurbished dish network dish from Mobile Dish Mall website and mounted it myself on the roof. I think it was only $300 back in June when I got it. I'm happy with it and it wasn't that hard to install. The thing I liked about it is the dish is supposed to be bigger than the tailgater one according to the guys there and so should do better during a rain storm.  I'll probably buy a normal oval shaped dish to use with a tripod if I end up parking for a while where there is often rain, but so far so good with the dome dish