Dirty Laundry

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BradKW

Reaction score
In such an enclosed environment as a van or small RV, where do you keep dirty laundry so that is out of the way and doesn't smell?

Is tossing sweaty socks/shirts etc into Hefty bags a solution? Thinking that might get a bit mildewy...

My kayak pulls double-duty as a hamper on longer trips. :p   I'll often put trash up there, too.  

BigT said:
My kayak pulls double-duty as a hamper on longer trips. :p   I'll often put trash up there, too.  

Good idea. Make sure you snap down the tonneau well before getting underway :rolleyes:

I use a tote.  Once a week it is time to hit town and shower, laundry, water and supplies.

Whatever you use as a hamper, it needs to breathe....otherwise you'll get mildew.
I use a nylon mesh laundry bag

lol...I googled dirty laundry in a van, and found this video:

Top 5 things that suck about living in a van, that's title... worth a watch, she's funny and kinda grows on you ;)

We use a mesh bag too. It works well for a week. We put it in a utility cabinet under the sofa in our Trailer.

[font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][font=Arial, sans-serif]Don Henley – Dirty Laundry Lyrics[/font][/font]
[font=Arial, sans-serif]I make my living off the evening news 
Just give me something-something I can use 
People love it when you lose, 
They love dirty laundry 

Well, I coulda been an actor, but I wound up here 
I just have to look good, I don't have to be clear 
Come and whisper in my ear 
Give us dirty laundry 

[/font]

I chose to use a compartment that is under the head of the bed and over the wheel well but then now that I use socks that resist all attempts to make them smell.

If you've got a problem with socks, try some Smartwool hiking socks and or putting some sanitizer in your shoes.

Cotton socks used to have a smell after even one day of using. My hiking socks can go for 4 or 5 days on a hike without ever having an odor.

ZoNiE said:
Good idea. Make sure you snap down the tonneau well before getting underway  :rolleyes:

Actually, as others have stated, ventilation is key.  I put my cloths in a net bag, clip them to the seat frame, then purposely leave the cockpit cover off while driving.  That way my cloths get a chance to breathe, and my cockpit/seat dries out as well.  :D

The trash goes into a plastic garbage bag and is stored in one of the compartments with the hatch tightly in place.

Good point on the wool socks- lady friend bought me a bunch of Darn Tough wool socks- expensive( $25.), but lifetime guarantee and they do not smell even in work boots.
As for laundry storage, I use a mesh bag and toss it in my "toolroom" away from living space. The bags I use are left overs from when I produced and bagged kindling from my wood working shop.

johnny b said:
Whatever you use as a hamper, it needs to breathe....otherwise you'll get mildew.
I use a nylon mesh laundry bag

Mine is a poly blend, but yes it breathes. I usually do laundry on days off, or early morning when I get up.

karl said:
Good point on the wool socks- lady friend bought me a bunch of Darn Tough wool socks- expensive( $25.), but lifetime guarantee and they do not smell even in work boots.
As for laundry storage, I use a mesh bag and toss it in my "toolroom" away from living space. The bags I use are left overs from when I produced and bagged kindling from my wood working shop.

I was thinking of buying some as the local offerings wear out very quickly if even slightly abused. That $25 and up is a tough nut to overcome.

Wanderer said:
I was thinking of buying some as the local offerings wear out very quickly if even slightly abused. That $25 and up is a tough nut to overcome.

Check at REI or Marks Work Warehouse.

Our Canadian equivalent of REI had a brand of socks that were the same content as SmartWool at less than 1/2 the price.

Read the labels, the content is much more important than the name brand.

I too was totally aghast at the thought of paying $25.00 a pair for socks. It wasn't too many years ago when I wouldn't pay that much for a pair of sneakers less alone socks.... :rolleyes:

Almost There said:
Check at REI or Marks Work Warehouse.

Our Canadian equivalent of REI had a brand of socks that were the same content as SmartWool at less than 1/2 the price.

Read the labels, the content is much more important than the name brand.

I too was totally aghast at the thought of paying $25.00 a pair for socks. It wasn't too many years ago when I wouldn't pay that much for a pair of sneakers less alone socks.... :rolleyes:

I remember my mother getting me new school clothing.  Levi's, Keds, shirts socks and undies.  $25.00  A new Chevy was $3,000. Our Napa Valley ranch had cost $1,800 an acre.   Back then we were getting top dollar for our eggs.  50 cents a dozen for farm fresh (There are the chickens!) cackleberries.

well I use an old pillow case for dirty laundry. I do love the smart wool socks, however I found they don't wear well and the price, yikes. I like the wool wigwam socks, and sock addict has good prices. highdesertranger

I have a tall, skinny laundry basket that fits perfect behind my cooler, out of sight. It is plastic, with lots of holes for ventilation. Unless it's really warm or I'm working hard, my clothes don't get that smelly. I do change socks and underwear before they become hazardous waste. And do laundry every week or two, as needed.

Ditto HDR on the Wigwams. And mine is a cotton drawstring ex mil laundry bag.

This will probably piss off a few folks but here goes.....

If your clothes are clean in the first place, then they aren't so stinky when they get dirty. I suspect your clothes are not clean after you wash them. I suggest you folks invest in one of the homemade laundry detergent recipes that are all over the internet. It made a huge difference in the way the clothes smell when they are clean and I've noticed they weren't as stinky when dirty.... even David's socks weren't bad stinky after wearing them all day (like they used to be). If your clothes are too stinky (for what ever reason) sprinkle some baking soda over them as you add clothing. It certainly won't harm anything when you do laundry. I keep my dirty clothes in open bins (the kind used in restaurants to bus tables with) and have no problem with smelly clothes, even in the summer.

The laundry detergent I made up is here and I used Ivory soap because I know that I am not allergic to it and I had fun putting it in the microwave to blow it up and make it so easy to crumble with my bare hands. I did not use any scent crystals either. I do not use fabric softener (I use three tennis balls in the dryer). My daughter made her's with White Zote (she likes the smell) and it cleans great plus her dirty clothes don't get bad stinky.