Denver metro RTR convoy

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DenverDMax

Reaction score
Hello everyone, I was looking to put together a group to travel to the RTR with in early January from Colorado. Ideally we could travel together more after the RTR, Mardi Gras maybe?

I plan to leave the Denver area the first Saturday of January, and would be willing to meet people on the road or leave together from Denver. 

I'm a 22 year old nursing student that has a free semester before I start my area of emphasis. My plan would be to travel beginning in January, and ending somewhere around May. I get along with just about every age group, and I'm not as wild as most people that are 22. My girlfriend who is 24 will be traveling with me as well. We'll be pulling a small trailer in hopes of doing a lot of backcountry boondocking. 

I'm new to the idea of full timing, but I am very experienced with camping and backpacking. I would be willing to travel with experienced people and newbies like myself. I am also a experienced mechanic and will be bringing my toolbox with me, if that is of any help to you.

If making a group with me sounds like something interesting to you feel free to message or email me. I am currently waiting to sell my last car and will be buying my trailer shortly thereafter. We could definitely do some weekend trips before the RTR if you are interested.

Hey man this deffinitly caught my attention. Me my gf and our dog are currently traveling as well. We are in flagstaff right now but also going to the rtr. We spent a few weeks in Colorado but decided to headout this way. We are open to finding others interested in traveling together. Let me know

Tentatively interested but I would like to be to Arizona (near Bouse area ) no later than the 2nd or 3rd since I'd like to attend the Women's RTR (starts on the 4th). Would you be willing to move up the timeline a bit? If not, that is totally ok! I'll be traveling from the Front Range to AZ. :)

Wow thanks for the quick responses!

Moonmeditation87 if you want to meet us somewhere along the way or even at the RTR that could be fun too. Any interest in New Orleans after?

AdventurousAdrianna I unfortunately have to work until the 3rd =l maybe we could still meet at the RTR/travel after though?

Right now I'm in flagstaff if your interested in meeting up here anytime before then that would be awesome. New Orleans sounds like a blast. I was thinking of checking out cali, Oregon and washington state as well. I'm pretty open minded but I've never got to experiance west coast at all.

I’ll be heading out from SW Colorado. I have no
Idea of my exact schedule at this point.

I will be back in Denver in a week or so after doing a solar install in Oklahoma. I plan on being back out west in the fall though.

As you are well aware, travel thru the Colorado Rocky Mountains in mid-winter can be risky.

You probably will want to keep your plans and routes flexible.

Even I-25 heading south over Raton Pass can be iffy, if a major winter storm hits around the time you plan to leave...so be careful.

You might even want to budget for tire chains...

tx2sturgis said:
As you are well aware, travel thru the Colorado Rocky Mountains in mid-winter can be risky.
I lived on the Colorado Front Range for 25-years, and had true 4WD vehicles, so I wasn't too worried about getting stuck in general. However, I saw so many messes on the highway due to people not knowing how to drive in bad conditions that I usually waited for clear weather before making any trips. Luckily, in CO, the storms usually pass quickly, the sun comes out and the roads will clear. Wait for it.

Hard to believe, but CO doesn't even have a true chain law, like other states.
http://summitrentals.com/blog/safe-...-traction-law-and-passenger-vehicle-chain-law
"During an active Traction Law, all motorists on the road need to have either snow tires, tires with the mud/snow designation (normally written on the sidewall of the tire as “M+S” or “M&S”) or a four-wheel/all-wheel drive vehicle. All tires on all vehicles must also have a minimum of one-eighth inch tread. You can also install chains or an alternative traction device (like an AutoSock) to be in compliance with the law".

Agreed. Worst day of my nomad life was the road trek up to Aspen. It rained; it hailed and at one point I decided to simply abandon my vehicle...lol...but then the sun came out and I made it to the top. Don't give up!  ;)

I appreciate all the cautions. I've been living in Colorado all my life and even lived up echo mountain in evergreen for a year. I'm well accustomed to how to drive in the snow and I do have true 4 wheel drive as well as tire chains. Pulling a trailer in the snow will be a new experience but I expect driving slow and being cautious will be the most important part. I intend to take I-70 West when I leave for the RTR so I'm sure in January it will be a little hairy at some points. Bring on the new experiences!

DenverDMax said:
 I do have true 4 wheel drive as well as tire chains. Pulling a trailer in the snow will be a new experience but I expect driving slow and being cautious will be the most important part. I intend to take I-70 West when I leave for the RTR so I'm sure in January it will be a little hairy at some points. 

This is why I tossed in the reminder. Not intended as a deterrent, but as more of a recommendation to keep your departure plans flexible. Especially with a trailer. I have seen many more 4WD vehicles in snowy ditches in my career than regular 2WD cars....people often get over-confident....and you might be mixing it up with all the snow-bunnies in their Subarus and Jeeps in a hurry to get to the slopes or back home. 

If you discover ahead of time that your route is snow-packed and icy heading towards Vail and Loveland, (ski areas) and I-25 is clear thru Raton Pass, then it might be wise to change your travel plans. Of course, I-25 is not immune to icy winter travel, but if it's a clear route, it will get you farther south much sooner...where the weather might be more pleasant.

tx2sturgis said:
I have seen many more 4WD vehicles in snowy ditches in my career than regular 2WD cars....
Ditto here. One time I was heading down towards I-70 with another guy, the first time we went skiing together. We passed a Jeep Cherokee that was over on its side. He wanted to turn back, but I said "Hey man, we're in a Jeep Cherokee and as safe as anyone can be in this weather".

Also, many years ago, I was living in the Bay Area, had an older Ford Mustang (2WD of course), and was heading up to Squaw Valley. Had chains on the tires. After piddling along in the storm at 10 MPH, a group of about 20 others decided to go for it. Then 2 miles down the road, and coming down one of the fairly steep downgrades, there were 20 cars up against the snowbanks, packed in at every conceivable angle from spinouts. Luckily, I was one of the first cars to get there, so was able to weave through the mess, but the other 10,000 cars behind probably had problems. 

If anyone wants to see how stupid it can be, check this.

Obviously OP knows what's he's doing - but do the people he's soliciting to join his caravan? Maybe best to meetup in Albuquerque.

An interesting fact about most chain laws: You have to carry them, you aren't actually required to stop and put them on during a chain law event. But IF you get stuck, or end up in a ditch without the chains installed...the fines can get expensive, not to mention the inconvenience of being stranded in winter, and the towing bill and possible vehicle damage.

I hate hanging iron on an 18-wheeler...it is a LOT of work. But it's better than sliding off in a ditch or sliding into another vehicle....THAT gets really expensive in a semi.

LivGolden said:
Agreed. Worst day of my nomad life was the road trek up to Aspen. It rained; it hailed and at one point I decided to simply abandon my vehicle...lol...but then the sun came out and I made it to the top. Don't give up!  ;)
From what I've read, you should never abandon your vehicle ... unless maybe you're close to some civilization you can walk to in a few minutes. Obviously besides carrying extra warm gear in the winter months, they say you can keep the inside of the vehicle from freezing by opening a window slightly for fresh air, and then lighting a candle.
https://www.consumeraffairs.com/new...xpensive-emergency-heating-system-012914.html

QinReno said:
From what I've read, you should never abandon your vehicle ... unless maybe you're close to some civilization you can walk to in a few minutes. Obviously besides carrying extra warm gear in the winter months, they say you can keep the inside of the vehicle from freezing by opening a window slightly for fresh air, and then lighting a candle.
https://www.consumeraffairs.com/new...xpensive-emergency-heating-system-012914.html

It was so scary! I remember the hail storm coming out of nowhere and the road up to Aspen was winding and no railings and the locals were going well over the posted 15 mile an hour signs. I saw a family of Amish standing near the road at an overlook and they were wailing. I was scared. Right then a biker comes running through the downpour toward my vehicle. He screamed for me to pull over and to take two young boys into my car. The boys were biking up the mountain and had gotten caught in the storm. One was in a state of shock and had thrown his clothes off trying to escape the freezing hail. The bikers stuffed the boy into my spare sleeping bag and the other was placed in my back seat, wrapped in my quilt. The boys were crying and thanking me. They were from SC and were on a church-trip and had gotten separated from their group. If it had not been for these boys, I may not have made it up to Aspen. I had to. I thought of their mothers. I did. I said to the one boy in the passenger's seat of my car that I did not like what was happening. He thought I meant him and his friend being in my car- I meant the downpour and my lack of skills. I laughed at his sweetness and assured him we would all be okay---and we were. I dropped the boys off at the clinic at the top of the hill. I called their mothers and assured them their boys were fine. Then I went for a drink at the JBar. What a day! BTW, I got a call from the boys' group leader. After we discussed the facts he calmly stated, "Sounds like the boys had an adventure." At first I thought how cavalier this man was but after some time I thought he was right, the boys had an adventure. That's what life is. Or should be. BTBTW,intially, the only folks willing to help these boys were BIKERS!!!  :cool: :heart: ;)

LV, good story. You've earned your spot at the RTR, in with the saints. I'll be with the sinners, obviously, out on the fringe.

Livs story reminds me of a story I have from less then a week ago. I was in silverton Colorado heading to flagstaff and we got to arizona border and we could see the pitch black skies in the distance. I was expecting a severe thunderstorm any moment. Well we got to a tiny gas station where this guy came up to my window and was asking if we could give him a ride to flagstaff. I told him look I dont feel comfortable its nothing personal but I dont know you. Well he tried to be a little pushy and out of nowhere a massive dust storm hits and comes flying  at my van. I went from seeing this guy to him completely disappearing I was laughing my ass off. (I know not nice) I couldn't help it. Anyways as the dust passed he reappeared and I told the gf let's get out of here because she felt uncomfortable. So we leave and within a minute of leaving it starts pouring down. So hard we couldn't see out the windows. So I immediately pull over and park the car. Well I start to feel my tires sinking into the mud. I'm trying to keep her calm but my dog is anxious and shes freaking out and I'm worried someone is not going to see us and go to pull over and hit us. So I wanted to move but couldn't and my tires were spinning in the mud. So as were sitting here huge pieces of hail start falling I'm thinking there going to burst through our window and were going to have a titanic scene of water come flowing in! So I start the van and maneuver my way out of the mud and get b az ce on the road while it lightened up and got a few miles up the road and pulled off to the side on a safer road. We pushed through the storm and made it to our destination but I was so nervous I almost jumped out and abandoned ship in fear we would be rammed into. We had hazards on but you couldn't see an inch in front of you and some people were still driving by normal speed. I guess they had super wipers or something because we had absolute zero visibility lol! I hope you all get enjoyment out of this story. I laugh about it now but in the moment I wanted to cry. I had zero experiance with dust storms or that type of downpour.

Latest posts