Dehydrated camp food?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
gsfish said:
AlasKen, great information on the pan, thanks! I have lots of Guardian Ware that my parents bought before I was able to remember but haven't seen one of these. I've been eating off aluminum my whole life so I'll take my chances.

My granny used to cook cornbread on the stove in an iron 'skillet'. She would cook one side then flip it. Us grandkids would enjoy watching the flip and if the bread broke Granny would say that my Uncle Charlie had "put the whammy on it". HA!!

Guy

I never thought of cornbread in a skillet on the stove top but with a good flip technique I can see it working.  Me I would have half cooked cornbread on the floor.  I love memories of our grandparents.

Try eBay using the search words I mentioned in the post.  If you really want to bring up your camp food mojo bring a just add water chocolate cake mix on the next trip and cook up a loaf of chocolate cake.  We all know that everything tastes better when camping and chocolate cake even more so.

One other trick I use is I get 2 metal (tin?) pie plates at the thrift store.  I use them as plates when camping.  Everyone in family made fun of me until their paper plates folded over or they could not cut up their steaks.  Then they wanted my plate.

I also use them as a "make do" biscuit oven by clipping them together with 3 paper binder clips.  Put them over low coals (no flame) and flip when bottom is brown.  May need to flip a couple of times to keep them from burning. 

I find camp cooking is becoming a lost art with the advent of freeze dried food and I am doing what I can to pass it to my grandkids.  Ken

frater secessus said:
The MH stuff is available at every walmart I've ever seen in the camping section.  It is not nearly as expensive as freeze dried stuff used to be and tastes pretty good.  The niche it fills for me is "shelf stable, light weight food".  I keep a couple in my S&B cupboard, emergency bags in each vehicle, day packs, etc.

Sorry, what is MH stuff? A more modern type of freeze dried or something different?