Dehydrated camp food?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JustACarSoFar

Reaction score
Anyone find 'insta type' add water, cook or don't type foods for the road? There must be a nitch' for this, I would do it!
At least, for those of us who are not 'set up' yet...  sounds like it would be helpful but I don't know of any outlet that specializes
with dehydrated.. 'insta' food.

Jes tossin it out there...... :s

yep on line there are a bunch of them. I use some freeze dried food but rarely the complete meals. I use freeze dried eggs the most. a lot of freeze dried, dehydrated, dried food can be bought at a regular store at prices a lot cheaper then backpacking foods. things like potatoes, rice, oatmeal, beans, noodles, etc, etc, all can be bought at a regular store. highdesertranger

Im headed out campibg this weekend. Will be bringing mountain house. Easy, quick and delicious.

The MRE-type stuff generally gets a bad rap from backpackers, but I always found it pretty good.

lenny flank said:
The MRE-type stuff generally gets a bad rap from backpackers, but I always found it pretty good.

They arent bad. I like the heatibg style better because its all in one, but I only like a few kinds, unfortunately

OutdoorFT said:
Im headed out camping this weekend. Will be bringing mountain house. Easy, quick and delicious.

As compared to what?

My canoeing friends that brought Mountain House meals always watched in envy at what was on my plate and gladly ate any excess.

M/H packs are notoriously  high in sodium as well.

I use some commercially dehydrated foods - hash browns for example. I also grab packages of Bear Creek soups and portion pack them.

Almost There said:
As compared to what?

Needing to bring a whole pantry of food and a huge stove to cook on. Boil water and wait.

A whole pantry of food and a huge  stove are not what I take in to the interior on backpacking and canoe trips.

A Trangia stove and pot set with a 8 oz bottle of fuel for 4 days has me eating three great meals a day. I too know how to boil water and wait...usually impatiently... :D

While I full-time dwell with a fridge, freezer and a pantry, that isn't all I do.

But then of course, I also dehydrate my own ingredients and collect recipes for 'camp food' from the likes of Backpacking Chef Glenn and a couple of others.

Some people can't cook very well (and have no intention of learning), so they might as well take the simplest stuff.

Those of us who can cook, we have more options.

MREs are said to be constipating. Keep the magnesium supplements handy.

"M/H packs are notoriously high in sodium as well."

All of the commercially processed dehydrated stuff is high in sodium, and why I dehydrate my own at home. Gotta avoid too much sodium to keep the BP down.

+1 for Backpacking Chef Glenn, his website has lots of goods help for diy and recipes.

TrainChaser said:
Some people can't cook very well (and have no intention of learning), so they might as well take the simplest stuff.  

Those of us who can cook, we have more options.

MREs are said to be constipating.  Keep the magnesium supplements handy.

I can usually boil water pretty well.  :)

Seriously, before I took up van dwelling I nuked virtually everything. Now that I have no microwave, I have been forced into some actual cooking.  ;)

Since I mostly urban-camp and stay in Walmart lots, I always have the world's biggest kitchen pantry right next to me, so I can eat whatever I want.

I find the MRE's to be ok. I wouldn't want to eat them everyday but as a take along meal on a hike or a hard day away from camp they are pretty good.

as far as the sodium in freeze dried food. yes the one bag meals are loaded with sodium. but the single ingredient freeze dried stuff usually is not. read the labels. I like the freeze dried fruits, vegetables, eggs, chilies, none of which have any added sodium. many of the processors are offering organic now a days. highdesertranger

I've been experimenting with Harmony House's "backpackers" kit of 18 pouches of freeze-dried veggies and beans, and make our own soups & stews -- cutting down the sodium by using my own seasonings. IMO these taste better than the prepared meals in the bag. I also tried the beef substitute they offer and, honestly, nobody knew it wasn't beef. Overall, their stuff is great. I'm sure there are others who are also good, but this is the only one I've tried.

The MH stuff is available at every walmart I've ever seen in the camping section. It is not nearly as expensive as freeze dried stuff used to be and tastes pretty good. The niche it fills for me is "shelf stable, light weight food". I keep a couple in my S&B cupboard, emergency bags in each vehicle, day packs, etc.

gsfish said:
I have eaten lots of MREs and most of them were OK by me but I'm no foodie
...The matches are pretty good too.

The tightly-folded toilet paper packets are worth saving, both for personal emergency use and for handing out to others who are unprepared.

I should add that the joke amongst us soldiers was that if you were eating the MREs you wouldn't need the TP.  :-o

[also the sugar/salt/coffee packets]

I have found the Wal-Mart's in AK has a decent supply of Augason Farms dehydrated #10 cans.  I use the dehydrated butter, margarine, and shortening when created my own baking just add water mixes.  There are a lot of options and you can control the ingredients.  They also have some just add water entrees and soups but unlike mountain house they require some simmer time.  I like their potato soup but pretty high in sodium.  I have found a pretty long shelf life for there products even after opening.  I make sure I store in a air tight container. 

The mixes I use most are whole wheat biscuit/pancakes baking mix, cornbread (not sweet cornbread), white gravy, and whole wheat bread/rolls (for Dutch oven), and tortillas/flat bread (no mix necessary).  Add some beans, rice, and fish on occasion and I eat OK.  In case you are wondering I can cook everything on a cook top or coals/charcoal.  I use a Guardian Ware Vintage omelette-Fish Fry-baking pan.  I have several different sizes and shapes that I keep in different vehicles.  If I could only have one pot or pan this would be it.  I learned from my grandmother who cooked a loaf of cornbread on the stove top at least 5 days a week for 50 years using one.  Ebay still has them on occasion running from $20 - $120 depending on what they think they have.  I feel under $40 is probably a fair price.

I added some photos of the stovetop cooker in use.  This cooker is a rare 3/4 size cooker that is just right for one or two people.  It is the one I keep in the truck because it is small.  The handles come off for an even smaller package.  One photo is ready to cook biscuits and one photo is cooking cornbread where it is ready to flip and brown the other side.  You cook with it closed on low heat.  I have it open to show what it looks like.  I added some after to see the final product.  This is vintage cast aluminum cookware so if aluminum concerns you you might not be interested.  Ken

Attachments

• AlasKen_Biscuit_raw.jpg
    AlasKen_Biscuit_raw.jpg
    23.9 KB · Views: 8
  • AlasKen_Cornbread_ready to flip.jpg
    AlasKen_Cornbread_ready to flip.jpg
    21.1 KB · Views: 7
  • AlasKen_Cornbread_Frypan.jpg
    AlasKen_Cornbread_Frypan.jpg
    32.2 KB · Views: 9
  • AlasKen_Cornbread_cut.jpg
    AlasKen_Cornbread_cut.jpg
    30.8 KB · Views: 8
  • AlasKen_Biscuit_plate.jpg
    AlasKen_Biscuit_plate.jpg
    24.9 KB · Views: 8
I have Thrive and like most of it.
MRE's - I think those are really high in carbs and calories because they are meant for the military in the field. I have had plenty and like them from military but steer away because of the calories.