Decision Paralysis What type of Rig to Choose

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Which One Should I Get?

• Total voters

riche_2

Reaction score
I want to get started. I have to work about three or for more years but I want to get a rig and start hitting the road on weekends and vacations now. I have about $3K-$4K to spend, but will be able to spend more on upgrades (solar for one) over the years leading up to my retirement.  It's going to be my wife and I, were are in our 50s and in good health. I also have a couple of little dogs and one huge dog. I would like to boon-dock mostly. I live in Kansas currently so most of my trips until I retire will be within a 1000 mile radius and will be during the summer months so AC would be high on the list of wants. I've built out a cargo van before (79 E-150. That was long, long ago). I could do it again but at this point in time, I'd like something that's ready to go now.

I have a 2006 Chevy C1500 pickup, 8 foot bed, 4 wheel drive, 4.8 liter V8. Initially I was looking into to truck-campers. But the  truck is only a 1/2 ton base (work truck) model. The owner's manual even points out that they don't recommend installing a truck bed camper. The cargo capacity is only 1000 lbs. I do have load range  "E" tires on it though so I'm not too worried about throwing a few supplies in the bed.  The cab is plenty big enough for us and the dogs. The tow rating is around 5000 lbs with a max tongue weight of 300 lbs.  I'd like to keep the weight of whatever I get to be less than 3500 lbs and would like the trailer to be low profile just to keep the load on the truck at a minimum and avoid issues with high winds. The truck is in great shape with less than a 100K miles. And, it's paid for so I'm not looking into getting a bigger one. However, I'm not adverse to getting another vehicle like a cargo van, class "B", or even a class "C". 

Here's the truck.
mytruck_zpssw8w0frj.jpg

So here's what I'm looking at.  

I really like this class "B". 1984 Dodge, 70K miles.
classb_zpsblzxwkdo.jpg

Pros

• It looks to be in great shape for its age.
  • It's 100% functional. 
  • The dash AC has been updated to R134.
  • High-Roof, you can stand in it.
  • Has all of the amenities.
  • Relatively easy to repair and maintain since it's just a van

Cons:

• It's a bit out of my budget at $5500 but I could swing it. It's the least expensive class "B" (in good shape) that I've seen. They were asking $6500 for it. 
  • It is an '84. While the miles are low it could still have a lot of problems just due to age and sitting so much (does have new tires and front wheel bearings though).
  • Doesn't have overdrive. It was built back when the national speed limit was 55 so running a 70 all day might be pushing it without overdrive. The seller even points out in his ad "It can go 70 mph but not for long distance. Real highway cruise speed is best around 60 mph, partly due to gearing of the transmission and partly due to the aerodynamics of the high top van."
  • Will have to pay insurance and taxes on another vehicle until I move and get rid of the truck (have to keep something with 4wd, I live 6 miles from the nearest paved road and it snows here).

Scamp '19
scamp_zpspdzjzpca.jpg

Pros
  • It's a scamp (fiberglass, not prone to leaks)
  • It's light. 
  • Plenty of room. Can stand up in it.
  • Has all of the amenities.
Cons

• I'd have to have the hitch mounted in the bed of the truck. It's not a traditional 5th wheel hitch, more of a gooseneck. But I'd have to remove my track cap and sacrifice a lot of bed storage. 
  • The truck is too tall - I would have to lift the trailer to tow it safely or there is a high probability the trailer will hit the bed of the truck. The axles are welded on. I don't even know how I'd get it home or to a shop. 
  • Again out of my budget at $5500. However its a really good price for Scamp. A conventional Scamp or Casita would actually be ideal, but I've yet to see one under $10K.
  • It's not "low profile" so towing, at all, or in high winds, might be an issue.
  • Functional now, but could have plumbing and appliance issues down the road.

Hi-Low Travel Trailer
hilow_zps600dhpld.jpg

Pros: 

• Right at budget.
  • It's light. 
  • It's low profile.
  • All the amenities. 
  • Plenty of space, can stand up in it.
Cons:

• Built in 1999.
  • Complex systems for raising and lowering might be hard to repair if they fail.
  • Functional now, but could have "old RV" issues down the road.
  • Have to setup/take down to move.

Converted Cargo Trailer 6X12
trailer_zpspydnwk0s.jpg

trailerinsdide_zpshcr0zguf.jpg

Pros

• A lot of the work is done (insulation, AC, fridge, windows, storage, microwave, TV ).
  • Mini "toy hauler" I could bring a motorcycle along.
  • Within budget. And, not a lot over what a bare trailer would cost (basically getting all the work the guy has done for only a few dollars)
  • Can start using it right away and make improvements along the way.
  • It's light.
  • 6' high-roof, can stand up in it.
  • Easy to personalize to meet my needs.  
Cons

• Short on some amenities but easy enough to add water tank, porta-a-potty, etc.
  • It's not low profile. 
Here are some other options I'm considering 

Cargo Van Build
Pros

• Plenty available within budget.
  • Can build how I want.
  • Easy to maintain and repair.
Cons

• Could be short on amenities just due to size / space restrictions 
  • Will have to pay insurance and taxes on another vehicle until I move and get rid of the truck (have to keep something with 4wd, I live 6 miles from the nearest paved road and it snows here).
  • Not much room, can't stand up in it unless I find a high-roof one.
Pop-Up Tent Trailer
Pros
  • Plenty available within budget.
  • Short on amenities but the basics are there
  • Lite, low profile, easy to tow.
Cons
  • Tent on wheels. 
  • Security when left unattended.
  • Vulnerable to weather, high winds could damage it if left open.
  • Have to setup/take down to move.
  • Complex systems for raising and lowering might be difficult to repair.
Truck-Cap Camping with Current Rig
Pros
  • Already have it (0 impact on budget), plenty to spend on upgrades.
  • Road-ready, mechanically sound, I know the maintenance history, etc.
  • Easy to maintain and repair.
Cons
  • No amenities (could be added with the use of potty/shower tent, water jugs, etc. Would have plenty of money in the budget)
  • Cant' stand up it in it
  • Not enough room
Conventional Used Small Travel Trailer (16' to 21') 10 to 20 years old
Pros
  • Plenty of room. Can stand up in it
  • All the amenities
  • Lite weight
Cons
  • Haven't seen many in my price range
  • Not low profile
  • Most are poorly made (just going on hearsay)
  • If I did get one, it would be older and could have typical RV issues (leaks!) 
Older Used Older Class "C"
Pros
  • Plenty of room. Can stand up it.
  • Have seen many in my price range.
  • All the amenities.
Cons
  • Would be older, could need mechanical work. Based on large, heavy duty truck / van chassis, may not be easy to repair. 
  • They're big and heavy. Gas hogs.
  • If I did get one, it would be older and could have typical RV issues (leaks!) 
  • Will have to pay insurance and taxes on another vehicle.

Well, I've take enough of your time. I'd appreciate your feedback on this.

sorry,but it's all up to you on what rig you get but i can add this

i have yet to see anything prebuilt,tt or motorhome that has anything close to quality build materials all plastic/particle board crap but they do have some existing systems water/propane already installed and are registered as an rv which makes licensing and insurance easy

so i would go barebones and build to your liking or rv with the expectations of a gut and rebuild or disposable rv,get something ok and use it till it melts,then repeat

I only skimmed all your well documented and pictured post, but my initial take is the converted 6x12' cargo trailer or the pop up trailer. Reasons are: Within your stated budget, towable right now with your current truck, allows you to use your canopy equipped truck bed for the additional storage needed, and is not another drivetrain to have to maintain. Cheaper to license/insure/plate the trailers as well, and the pop-up can easily be resold (not so much the 6x12' though).

Forget the truck camper, your truck's payload is inadequate for your needs due to the size needed for people, supplies, water and dogs. Yes some will tell you that with air bags or overload springs you can "safely" carry the 10' wet camper but they are either misinformed or want to sell you something.

I've owned and used a 23' 1982 class C' which was a maintenance headache, 2 different bumper pull travel trailers (24' and 28'), as well as a new 8' (dry) truck camper, so I have a bit of knowledge about them. My opinion anyways.

You have done a good deal of research as far as what is available but what is it you want to do, where do you want to go and for how long? We use to have three smaller dogs and boy do they take up some space. Your truck is pretty limited in payload and tongue weight, you have to remember the difference between dry and loaded weight. The tongue weight, hitch, supplies, dogs, gas and even you and your wife are all part of the cargo. Over load it and you may be okay until a emergency situation and that's when you find out it is more than just the cargo capacity that is unable to handle it. Adding solar, batteries, fresh water adds up fast.

One thing about small rigs is having what you need out there. Another thing is while they are easy to deal with in good weather being outside most of the time, the walls grow inward in bad weather when you are stuck inside. Imagine spending a day, two days or even more inside with barely enough room to move around. I ended up buying a portable satellite system because the other half wasn't into reading, the internet and playing games. Eventually even the TV got boring and he would take his frustration out on me. Our dogs were either on the floor having to be stepped over or taking up all the seating and that was in a 25 ft trailer with a couch.

So really think of you using the options. What will you need, where will it be stored. Things like cooking, going to the bathroom and comfort become real life issues once you are out there.

I picked "Used ClassC" in your poll. That is a lot of furry company, so the floor room in the C would be very welcome. And even though I can do it, I hate towing so avoid it, that's reflected in my answer as well.

your not in a hurry so I would take my time. are you going to need four wheel drive in your future travels? I you do I would save some more money sell your 1/2 ton and get a 3/4 ton. that will open up a truck camper or a larger trailer. in the mean time you could rent a class C for a weekend and see how you like it. you might be able to rent a small trailer and see how that fits.

I don't like torsion axles(weld on) not good off road. I also don't like popups after a few years the seals start to leak and dust gets in during wind storms they also have limited storage. highdesertranger

Used Class B for the win!!

Towing things is a royal PITA!!!!
It limits where you can go, park, etc.

There is also something appealing about simply pulling over, going in back and taking a nap.

Dave

You're not full-timing yet, so there is really no need to lock yourself into a rig that wont be used that way until 4 years from now...

So, how about this:

Put a nice rooftop tent on the pickup cap for the weekend camping trips...sleeping will be comfy in higher temps because of the light breezes that waft thru, and you can always use a little battery powered tent fan. So no AC needed.

Attach an awning to the side...bring along a shower/potty tent, Coleman stove, Yeti cooler. Perfect (and very cool) weekend camping rig.

Take the money you save, add to it for the next 2-4 years till retirement, and then buy what you REALLY want.

At that time, sell the pickup and the rooftop tent and recycle that money into upgrades/repairs to the new rig, whatever it turns out to be.

A nice rooftop tent might cost $2000...pricey, but well made, low maintenance, and a lot cheaper than some of the other options.

Just another option you might not have considered.

what tx2 says, go as cheep as you can, bare bones you do not have ANY idea what life is going to be then, so the best thing you can do is gain knowledge now, and ,SAVE,SAVE,SAVE, its what I'm doing now. what i do is i look at something I'm going to need and i start saving for it i started doing this 6 years ago. it was cool, take refrigeration, and battery system, i can afford to pay cash for a 360 watt PV system with about 200AH agm batts. and a National Luna(the best money can buy) 70Lfrig/freezer, but since i haven't bought it yet i think I'm going to go with a lesser frig/ freeze and take the savings and uprate my batt. sys.to lithium. thats just one example of how because i waited to buy things have changed in just the last three weeks,(thats about when i decided to go lith.) also another plus is i know(like you ) I'm going to keep working for the next three years. you can't believe how many times I've changed my mind on things, it seems like 3or4 times on everything. also i have enough saved to buy any rig i want plus money to work on it, I'm looking at vans between 85-95, don't care about milage just good bones, knowledge SAVES big buks.

tx2sturgis said:
You're not full-timing yet, so there is really no need to lock yourself into a rig that wont be used that way until 4 years from now...

So, how about this:

Put a nice rooftop tent on the pickup cap for the weekend camping trips...sleeping will be comfy in higher temps because of the light breezes that waft thru, and you can always use a little battery powered tent fan. So no AC needed.

Attach an awning to the side...bring along a shower/potty tent, Coleman stove, Yeti cooler. Perfect (and very cool) weekend camping rig.

Take the money you save, add to it for the next 2-4 years till retirement, and then buy what you REALLY want.

At that time, sell the pickup and the rooftop tent and recycle that money into upgrades/repairs to the new rig, whatever it turns out to be.

A nice rooftop tent might cost $2000...pricey, but well made, low maintenance,  and a lot cheaper than some of the other options.

Just another option you might not have considered.
I would look at building out inside the truck cap and not spend 2k on a tent.

Lots of ideas and choices out there, good suggestions here, so try out a couple and the answers will then come to you. Things could change in a couple years as well so low cost initially until set seems smart. Or something that you can resell for little loss.

Another low cost, short term, starter idea could be a simple, self built plywood slide in within the weight limits of your pickup. Recently saw a light weight pop top slide in for $1500 on Craigs as an example. You're on the right track with your analysis and comparisons. The final decisions will be based upon your preferences of the two of you. Have fun trying them out.

I voted for used class-C, but my personal preference is a class-B.  I chose class-C mainly because you have dogs and they need a bit more space. 

Also, because of your price range, I doubt that you could get a good class-B. 

One thing to think about, however.  Anytime you get an older rig, you have to expect that the interior appliances are going to need to be replaced, especial the fridge.  They are just not going to last over 10 years on the road, especial those which require exterior venting. 

I used to have a class-A that was 37 feet long.  I got rid of it and now have a class-B that is 20 feet long.  The only amenity that I don't have that I will miss is the washer/dryer that the class-A had.  But I really like the fact that I can park the rig in a normal parking lot and that it has a fairly open layout.

From what I hear, there are few who get the vehicle decision right for their needs the first time. I can offer what threw me after getting my used class b. Some of this is that I did not take enough time to thoroughly, thoroughly research, I just said, ok, That one, lol. Not quite that bad but almost. Some lessons I've learned in my little world:

Repairs for an RV work different ly from repairs on a standard car or truck. RVs with all the so-called "amenities" are really just a bunch of systems that require an inordinate amount of money and time to maintain, ie generator, fridge, plumbing, tanks, etc. And if it's used, like mine, plan on a lot of repair immediately after purchase. The undercarriage or "chassis" is usually repaired by a mechanic shop if not DIY, and the RV systems generally are repaired at an RV shop. With a used van, I'd almost count on needing a new starting battery, a new generator or carb, new house batteries, new tires, and myriad other expenses. I was Shocked at the expense, and repairs can take weeks or months. Where will you stay if you need a repair? Just a few things to consider. It's enough to turn a girl DIY with the right teachers. Also ground clearance can be an issue if you want to do much boondocking or adventuring. There can be not enough room on the roof or in the van for as much solar panels and battery banks as one may want. On the pro side, I "feel" more like I'm in a home. It's an illusion, and a costly one, but it is helping to ease the transition into van life. It's definitely worth it to go slow and research many areas of it. Love my van, but the downsides were a surprise, would hope to save someone all that shock, lol. Best to you in your research and plans!

Sent from my FRD-L14 using Tapatalk

I spent years researching the manner in which RVs are built. Starting with the materials they use to laminate the exterior walls...I found nothing about the material or workmanship of RVS that was acceptable.

I knew I would be rebuilding it entirely.. from the skin in.

I went looking for a platform that was already totally trashed. I wanted an old chinook...but I got close anyway. I have the skill to do the build (so I thought), so doing it this way..I do not. 1)pay for what I would rip out and toss, 2) have complete control over the quality of material and work, and 3) I would be totally intimate with each and every aspect of each system. Honestly, from where I am today...knowing what I know...I would do it all again in spite of the months of work and frequent frustrations.

New Class C are pretty much junk and they don't get better with age. Expect lots of repair bills...or redo it yourself on the upfront side.