Deciding

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Saw??bound

Reaction score
I am a 47 y/o retired Navy/Army female vet trying to take the leap into full time rv living, but have no clue what vehicle to get. I have a 2004 F150 FX4 supercrew 5.5 bed and a 500 pound motorcycle. I thought of an overcab camper but my options are limited there given bed size and load limits. I also have over 214,000 miles on my truck and have towed a boat in the past and she doesn't seem to enjoy doing that. The weight of a camper and towing or lifting my bike may cramp her style as well. 

Second thought is park it for a bit or sell it :( and get a 24 ft class C, but want something that will hold up for many years to come. I'd prefer not to tow but can't think of any way to haul my bike.
Any ideas would sure be welcome. I am soooo ready to leave this life behind and have been downsizing for a couple months now. Relationship just deteriorated this weekend so there is only a dead-end job and figuring the vehicle out before I can start my escape planning. I have to be out by September. Help!!

I have a 2001 Dodge Ram 2500 with an 8-foot bed and I tow a 23 foot travel trailer. My 1985 Harley dresser which weighs about 850 lbs I load into the back of the pickup with a rampage motorcycle lift. I've been on the road for almost 5 years and using that setup for 3 and it works for me

Welcome Saw to the CRVL forums! To help you learn the ins and outs of these forums, this "Tips, Tricks and Rules" post lists some helpful information to get you started. We look forward to hearing more from you. highdesertranger

Thank you for your service!

I hope you can find the right fit. I looked at everything with an idea of what I wanted. If I saw something I liked I went home and researched it, thoroughly. Too often the sellers either don't know or tell you what you want to hear.

I loved my class c!

My wife and I used to have a 2003 Ford Expedition with 5.4L V8 and it did tow our 27' travel trailer well but it did get terrible gas mileage. We sold it and got a 2009 Chevy Silverado Pickup with the 5.3 V8 and it's so much better suited to towing than our ford was and not to mention better on gas. The ford would get 13.4mpg every day and 6-8 pulling the camper. My Silverado is getting 11-13 with camper and 18-20 without it. We love the idea of a travel trailer as we can have a home base and use our truck to run around in. I also have a hitch on the back of the camper and I have a motorcycle rack where I bring my 1994 Yamaha TW200 bike. Although my TW is only around 300lbs so I am sure a 500lb bike might be a bit much on my aluminum rack.

If you're planning to stay in campgrounds and trailer parks, get whatever suits your fancy. If you intend to stealth camp, you have certain constraints to contend with. Your geaography, climate, and lifestyle come in to play as well.

I stealth camp, and work a full time job in the city, so a class B or a DIY van build is the most practical. I initially purchased a class B+, and never felt very stealthy.

Thank you for your service, from one veteran to another.
You can get a motorcycle carrier that will fit into the receiver of a class c.
You can Google it, I just joined so I can't add links yet.
Just make sure of the tongue weight of the hitch.

Determine what space and needs you have along with the motorcycle. Check out aluminum cargo trailer and build it to your specific needs. I have been researching this for myself. Featherlite is a trailer brand that exceeds in quality, .040" aluminum skin vs .030" skin on others. You can build as you go. Time and finances are the major constraints. Haul your motorcycle in your house. Lots of cargo trailer builds on you tube with great ideas. Throw a cot, water jugs, camp stove, and heater. Find a pleasant spot to camp and build accordingly.

A cargo trailer might work well for you. If you get a different tow vehicle it will still work for you. Not easy to put a 500 lb bike on a Class C.

Welcome to the forum, it's great to have you here.

I like my motorhome, it's so comfortable... can tow anything I want with it.

Bobflhtc said:
I have a 2001 Dodge Ram 2500 with an 8-foot bed and I tow a 23 foot travel trailer. My 1985 Harley dresser which weighs about 850 lbs I load into the back of the pickup with a rampage motorcycle lift. I've been on the road for almost 5 years and using that setup for 3 and it works for me

Im looking for a tow vehicle and toy hauler right now.. will be carrying my 1988 softail custom... only weighs about 600 lbs... 

See and EVO, Hear an EVO, Ride an EVO  LOL

Latest posts