Death of a close friend, how to deal with it?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ballenxj

Reaction score
I had a close lady friend that was still living in the Las Vegas area pass away tuesday. I'm pretty broke up and in shock over this.
She was my weekend dinner and movie pal. Sometimes she would cook Italian dinner, sometimes I would buy Chinese take out and bring it over.
I moved away a bit over a year ago, but I still would call her at least three times a week.  I used to take her out for sushi about once a week when I was still working.
So sad she's gone. They found her slumped over at her desk at work. I only found out through an email from a mutual friend. I wondered why she wasn't answering her phone.
I even called her phone after I found out just to hear her voice. I'm a mess right now.

Sorry for your loss. Everyone deals with differently...but I prefer to be left alone for a few days.

So sorry Ballenxj, losing a friend is always hard, and no matter what folks say to you, it's never adequate
The only cure I've found is the passage of time and something to distract you
Dying at work, *shudder*

Each of us deals with grief in our own way. You'll get through this. Know that you have friends here who are thinking of you.

After doing some personal grieving when someone close passes away, start to think about the good times you had together. Favorite dinners, or shared memories.

If she could tell you I would bet she wouldn't want you to hurt so bad. Keep a picture and the memories.

Rob

If you can, let her family know how much her friendship meant to you​. These days her obituary may include a guest book where you can share your loss. Conversely, it may help to read other's remembrances and stories.
Her obituary may suggest a donation to a favorite charity.

I'm so sorry for your loss and the manner in which you discovered it.

That really sucks.
Go to the service and talk about the good times with her other friends and family.
The pain will fade eventually and the memories will remain.

I am so sorry for your loss. It sounds like you were very good friends and that she will be greatly missed. I have found that there really is no wrong way to grieve. What works for me is trying to stay present with my feelings as much as possible. Over time I have found that the sadness gives way to pleasant memories. Do you feel up to telling us a story about her?

You're in my thoughts and prayers for peace and comfort in your time of loss! If you feel like you need to talk, I'm a pretty good listener, as I'm sure lots on this forum are!

cyndi said:
If you can, let her family know how much her friendship meant to you. 
She was the last of her line. All relatives gone and no kids. Most of her friends are in England. My other mutual friend that told me via email pretty much found out thru the internet as well from her neighbor across the street. He said he has tried to call me several times but verizon keeps sending him to voice mail where they then tell him my voice mail is not set up? I've been round and round with them about that beforehand.
Thank You everybody for your thoughts.

I figure it's best to go where the emotions take you. Counselors are convinced there are some predictable stages to grief but every experience is different in time and intensity. Sorry to read of your loss of such a friend.

Sending my condolences. I have lost quite a few best-friends and family members. I know how it hurts and how you miss them. God bless you and comfort you.