Dash Cams

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

n0zbh

Reaction score
I have been thinking about this a lot, as I use one in my HHR and it has helped me out in a few spots in the past. Do you use one or more than one? What brand do you use?  What are some of the features you look for?

I have 2 and use both. Really like the Transcend model with bluetooth. Bluetooth lets you access the video on cell or tablet for easy large screen playback Vs the small screen on the camera. Never had to use it for "evidence" of a incident but like knowing I got a record and can playback quick and easy for anyone, (within 10 hrs of on-time use) before it copies over the previous video.

I guess it's about 3 years now and no issues other than having to delete SD contents cause it said file was full. Actually I'd hit the camera "picture capture" to many times and that was the file that needed emptied. I do keep the cameras out of direct sunlight. Lectronic's don't like heat and that's usually why dash cams fail.

That is actually great advice keeping electronics out of the direct sun light especially in the summer months in the south and south west. As a HAM radio operator this is something I learned many years ago.  :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

I kind of think in today's world being able to provide undeniable proof is the biggest thing you can to to protect yourself.

I’ve been running a Garmin dash cam in each of my vehicles for several years now! I bought them right after someone backed into the wife’s van while I was filling the tank. (They were honorable so no problem)

A couple months later they paid for themselves when someone sideswiped my truck and told the cop I’d opened my door into them. Just the mention of having a cam running started him cursing and walking back his story!

I ended up using a glued on mount that puts the cam beside/slightly behind rear view mirror.

SD

wow, I would fight it also. feel for ya on the stupid junk that goes down in life on us! and a learner's permit to boot HAHA

no on dash cam OP for us. I can't take another darn gadget in my life! just don't want anything anymore but I sure can see the value in them for many.

I am installing BlackVue 750 and 900 series. Auto cloud backup, great quality. Not cheap, but the whole point of these is to rely on to protect yourself.

I use two Campark cameras. Not the best but good enough. I bought them on prime day a few years back for around 50 each with a utility pack which includes several different mounts and a waterproof case. You need to buy the micro SIM card separately .
Prime day is coming up. Use www.camelcamelcamel.com us to track prices leading up to prime day

Actually that was great practice for when the poop is really coming down, Guy. If this happens again, you will probably be vastly more confident and controlled and less likely to make mistakes because you've got that first-time jitters out of your system at least a little. Best would be to go back, try to coolly evaluate what you did well, and then try to refine your process and place it all into text so you don't have to rely on memory to do it again.

The next guy who screws with you is going to be dealing with a past master.