Anker poer banks expanded and cracked outer case, still OKAY to use?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lance22

Reaction score
Question. I bought two Anker portable chargers back in 2020 from Amazon and I been using them over the years and they both expanded from the inside and racked the cases.. they are sealed units so I can't just open them to check to see if they look fine inside but are they still safe to use? Would they be fine to keep using I been using them and they still seem to be fine

This is the description on amazon of what they are that I had bought and expanded breaking the case.

Anker Portable Charger, Power Bank, 20,000mAh Battery​

Should they be replaced? If so I been thinking about going with the Renogy 72000 mAH 266Wh 12v power bank. However I would like to try and get a few more years out of the ones I have now before I invest in the upgrade.. thoughts.

Question. I bought two Anker portable chargers back in 2020 from Amazon and I been using them over the years and they both expanded from the inside and racked the cases.. they are sealed units so I can't just open them to check to see if they look fine inside but are they still safe to use? Would they be fine to keep using I been using them and they still seem to be fine

This is the description on amazon of what they are that I had bought and expanded breaking the case.

Should they be replaced? If so I been thinking about going with the Renogy 72000 mAH 266Wh 12v power bank. However I would like to try and get a few more years out of the ones I have now before I invest in the upgrade.. thoughts.
I’d worry that they could become a fire hazard.

Contact Anker immediately! They recommend you not attempt to open them. Check for warranty as they will need to be replaced most likely. I believe Will Prowse on YouTube has some examples of batteries expanding after getting too hot. I would stop using them immediately and have the whole system checked by someone like jimmyindenver.

Bought in 2020 and used a lot? Now damaged with cracked cases and swelling. Of course they need replacing.

Ask the local fire department where you can take them to safely dispose of them.

Be careful with the new units. Keep them in a cool location and do not recharge them when it is really hot inside of your vehicle. Heat is a big enemy and can reduce the lifetime such a battery will last. My cell phone is “smart enough” to shut down under high temp conditions. I keep soft gel blue ice packs to set it on if I need to use my phone when the temperature goes into 90 degree weather. I have three of those packs so I can rotate them in and out of my 12v fridge on hot days. I also rigged a stand so it can be set right in front of my fan so as I am getting cooled so is the battery in my phone or tablet. Where there is a will there is a way but first you have to understand the issues that lead to a shortened lifespan for the lithium batteries. Heat damage can happen to every brand name out there.

Last edited:

If the battery swelled up enough to crack the case DO NOT USE IT. They are most likely LiIon or LiPolymer batteries and are at the point of failure/overheating/combusting/exploding.

**EDIT

I would not even store them indoors, and store them away from anything that could catch fire, etc. Inside of a metal traschcan or cabinet. Something that is at no risk of burning in worst-case scenario.