Deep cycle batteries vs power pack

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

urbankid12

Reaction score
So I have a 200 amp hour deep cycle battery that weighs like 200 pounds  which I guess you can only use 50% of that so that is 100ah

and then I have some power banks (2) 26800mah (2) 20000mah (1) 11000mah which  I got from Amazon all Anker brand so if my math is right /1000 means that’s 100ah of energy 

The power inside this massive block (I got the Renogy 200ah battery single unit) that I struggled for an entire day to get into place is equally power to my collection of small power stations that weight no more than 8lbs combined. (Or if they are only able to draw 50% out as well then that’s still 16lbs vs 200lbs)

And when weight matters traveling down the road for fuel consumption are batteries inferior then power stations? Where is my math wrong or am I missing something? 

Unless I’m wrong wrong on some thing it would be ideal to have a small battery connected to the charge controller and solar panels and to be fueling charge into power stations that can store the power far lighter.

Lithium batteries are the way to go, if we can simply afford them. The good news is the price will come down as more are available.

With the Lithium you can discharge them down to 20%, and the power doesn't drop off like the LA batteries do. My Battleborns are around 30 Lbs apiece, and you can get the full 100aHs out of them all the way to dead.

The only down side is the cost, but after that its all downhill from there.

It's a price thing. A 100ah Deepcycle battery is around $120 - a 100ah Lithium is around $1000.

Like camper is saying they the Lithium batteries are getting produced more and expected to get less expensive over the next few years. Until then I will buy Deepcycle.

Hmmm... the 100Ah usable energy from the 12V battery is: 12V x 100Ah = 1200Wh

The batteries in a power bank is typically at 3.65V:
(2) 26800mah = 26.8 Ah (with battery voltage at 3.65V ) so 3.65V x 26.8Ah = 97.8Wh
(2) 20000mah = 20Ah - So 20Ah x 3.65V = 73Wh
(1) 11000mah = 11Ah - So Ah x 3.65V = 40.15Wh

By the way, the Anker brand has a very good reputation, around these parts.

The power banks thus add up to:
97.8Wh + 97.8Wh + 73Wh + 73Wh + 40.15Wh = 381.75Wh

The energy density per pound is better for LiFePO4 than Lead Acid.
And LiPo batteries have a higher energy density, per pound, than does LiFePO4.

ridgeway said:
It's a price thing. A 100ah Deepcycle battery is around $120 - a 100ah Lithium is around $1000.

Like camper is saying they the Lithium batteries are getting produced more and expected to get less expensive over the next few years. Until then I will buy Deepcycle.
there are cheaper options. used nissan leaf batteries are running 3 dollars a watt, but the down side is they come on 8.4v packs with a center tap, also, no BMS, tho i have not needed one, i ballence manually once in a while. 40a 8.4v packs of 2 in series, 2 in parallel. 
a 24v 40a battery is 240 usd shipped, but thats at 24v. 960wh vs your 1200wh $1000

nemoskullforgothispassword said:
there are cheaper options. used nissan leaf batteries are running 3 dollars a watt, but the down side is they come on 8.4v packs with a center tap, also, no BMS, tho i have not needed one, i ballence manually once in a while. . .

Do you mean watt-hours?  $3/WH X 1200 WH = $3600

Those batteries are Li-ion with Ni-Co-MnO positive electrode.  They are much more prone to thermal runaway than LiFePO4.  Nissan uses a sophisticated thermal management system in addition to their BMS.

urbankid12 said:
So I have a 200 amp hour deep cycle battery that weighs like 200 pounds  which I guess you can only use 50% of that so that is 100ah . . .

And when weight matters traveling down the road for fuel consumption . . .

That is why a lot of us use 2 golf cart batteries: ~60 lbs each for 200+AH.  60 lbs twice is a lot easier to handle than 120+ lbs once.

200 lbs in a 6000+ lbs. vehicle is trivial to fuel consumption.

Theres several knockoff 100 amp hour lithium batteries on Amazon for as low as $5xx and up.

Depending on your trust level for their construction (look at some Will Prowse destructive test videos), the could be what you’d like.

Still none (that I remember) except BB have a working cold temp charge cutoff...according to WP.

I live in a cold environment, so I need batteries that charge below the freezing point. That eliminates all Lithium batteries, as far as I know.

I use cheap deep discharge lead acid marine batteries from Menards.

Will take my $120 Deep Cycle batteries any day. Most have a 1 year warranty or more so If they stop taking a charge within 1 year I am not out anything.

skyl4rk said:
I live in a cold environment, so I need batteries that charge below the freezing point.  That eliminates all Lithium batteries, as far as I know. 

Prob pretty easy to keep battery above freezing and still charge.

skyl4rk said:
I live in a cold environment, so I need batteries that charge below the freezing point.  That eliminates all Lithium batteries, as far as I know. 

If you're in Canada check out CanBat. They have LiFePo4 batteries that can charge/discharge below freezing. 

Probably expensive right now but the tech will become more pervasive in the next few years.

I prefer to sleep with no heater running, so the lithiums don't fit my camping style.

Lithium batteries are still way too expensive and temperature sensitive for me to chance at least for the larger batteries. I manage with tools and electric bicycles to use them but if I destroy one of them they are much less costly to replace and they come with chargers so no special changes or adjustments have to be made to my system which works for me now. I think that is one reason these power packs have become popular. They are plug and play basically.

vgilbert said:
Will take my $120 Deep Cycle batteries any day. Most have a 1 year warranty or more so If they stop taking a charge within 1 year I am not out anything.
The $99 Everstart Maxx has a 2 yr replacement warranty... "t[font=BogleWeb,]his is a lead-acid EverStart marine battery that is easy to install and comes with a 2-year replacement warranty. It boasts 30-percent more cycling capability than standard marine batteries..."
The regular group 24 is only $70 so it could be a decent deal, an additional year for $30. [/font]

There was a poster years ago who only bought Walmart batteries (marine Everstart) as they had a 2 yr full exchange even for the "standard" ones. He would run the battery into the ground and go exchange it out.  I believe that WM has tightened up their exchange policy now, requiring the original sales receipt and a load test be performed.

Marine 12 volts, while poo-poo'd by some, are a good entry-level unit that doesn't have the weight or take up the space of the much treasured 2 golf cart 6 volt ones. If you can get the 2 year replacement warranty, it's a pretty hassle free way to start off.