Custom RV Is Part Camper, Part Semi Truck, And It's For Sale

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Interesting rig...I always get amused at some of the writers of these pieces...they don't know or don't understand the terms or what they are looking at.

The writer of the article refers to the 'trailer' a couple of times...there is no 'trailer' there.

There IS a slide-in truck camper mounted on the rear extended frame and custom deck of the class 8 tractor.

But it IS cool!

A "Part Semi Truck" would be a semi-semi, right?

With a sleeper cab and a truck camper, one has options in where to sleep after an argument.

It does seem to me that even if someone gave me these materials and said that I had to use them I would have done it differently. I would have turned the camper around and put it against the cab to make a single larger 'home' area and put the Suzuki at the back, still under the camper extension.

MG

There's a good reason you cant easily 'mate' the back of the cab to a solid mount box on the frame: The cab is on hinges up front and airbags and shocks at the back. As you hit bumps the cab and sleeper is 'floating' on airbags. Not only does it move up and down about 4-6 inches or so, but there is also side-to-side tilt, like a rocking motion. 

It is possible to join a frame mount box, but it involves the use of a special air-filled bladder or thick foam cushion all the way around the opening, which allows the cab to keep its normal movement even while there is a pass thru to the solid mount box. 

Then of course there are structural elements in the back wall of the cab, but they can be moved and/or reinforced.

I suspect the builder wanted to be able to easily back up to a campsite and use the camper as intended without having to pass thru the driver and passenger doors, and up and over the air seats every time they enter or exit the living space.

Just my thoughts...it is an interesting use of whatever they already had or could get ahold of and make it all work together.

Well, yeah, but... Volvo makes bi-articulated buses that you can walk from one end to the other in when they are going down the highway. Trains do it too. It's not likely that anyone would need to go between the bedroom (in the cab) and the kitchen (in the back) all that often while moving.

It just seems like a strange route from the camper to the bedroom, in the middle of the night, when it's pissing down rain.

MG

Yes, large companies with large budgets can design and build just about anything....a DIYer....maybe not so much.

But I would certainly assume they would be using the bed in the slide-in camper section....it shows a mattress and foam pad in the 'RV' section,  but the sleeper berth in the truck cab shows no mattress at all, and only a stack of drawers. Don't know what that's about but seems to indicate that the sleeper berth in this conversion is mainly for storage and not for sleeping.

Latest posts