Custom Ram Promaster

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Judging by your cargo, I'd bet on a fair bit of success

We were behind a promaster the other day and i had never noticed before how low the back suspension crossmember is. Super low ground clearance from wheel to wheel. I'm guessing they are not built with independent rear suspension to increase load capacity or stability with a full load. Either way, out on forest service roads, that would be a nagging concern in my oppinion.
Food for thought.

Sent from my SCH-I435 using Tapatalk

Sabatical said:
We were behind a promaster the other day and i had never noticed before how low the back suspension crossmember is. Super low ground clearance from wheel to wheel. I'm guessing they are not built with independent rear suspension to increase load capacity or stability with a full load. Either way, out on forest service roads, that would be a nagging concern in my oppinion.

Same ground clearance as the Sprinter, and about an inch more than the Transit.  E-series Ford van has 0.1" (2.5mm) more clearance and Express has 0.2" (5mm) more.

Comparison here.

My Transit cargo has just barely enough width at the window indents (where the windows would be) and I'm 6'3", but I only have one layer of reflectix and carpet on each wall. There is a company that makes side flares so you can gain about 3-4" on either side. Flarespace

Those flares are a neat idea.

The PM is 77" wide skin to skin where my sleeping platform goes.  I put in only 1/2" of polyiso at that point so I could keep max sleeping width, so mine is 76".  Everywhere else got at least an inch of XPS. 

Here's a pic of me (6') doing a proof of concept on the platform.  Toes (in shoes) just grazing the insulation, about 4" of space beyond my head.

Forgive the batman camera angles;  cam was on the hood of my pickup or something.

It is 74" at the middle ribs that will support the platform.