Step Van in the Barn

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Disarrayed

Reaction score
Hello all, haven't picked it up yet but purchased an 03 Freightliner MT55, 5.9 Cummins + Allison, 24' box. Was used as a command center for DWI checkpoints in the state of MO so it is fitted out with some of the amenities already, plenty of electric and has a small sink, but has plenty of room and some cabinets and sitting arrangements with 3 roof airs and a 12Kw diesel generator.

I've been considering something like this for a while, didn't want fiberglass so looked at the Class A's Prevost style and didn't want any slides, have had the fiberglass Class C and it was fine but they are really overweight for the chassis. Class B was smallish and I have a hightop van already. And most of th RV's right now are too expensive. Something like this shouldn't be expensive to work on like the older busses or Rv's that are non slide out.

And the approx 33' step van will fit into the 40' wide building which should be nice being the van is 12.5' high and the door is 13'.

Be interesting to see how it moves down the highway. From what I've seen these are built pretty well and hopefully the conversion was spec'd out with durability in mind.

Welcome to the forums Disarrayed! To help you learn the ins and outs of these forums, this "Tips, Tricks and Rules" post lists some helpful information to get you started.

Most of our rules boil down to two simple over-riding principles: 1) What you post should provide good information (like your introductory post), and 2) Any response to someone else's post should make them feel glad they are part of this forum community.

We look forward to hearing more from you.

Welcome to the step van crew! Oh wow, this thing sounds like a monster! We need some photos!
Can’t. I am possibly going to use it for full time in the future. I’ll be a watcher until I get to that point. Cheers.

The term "vanliving" says more about how we live rather than our specific vehicle. Those who are currently living in a vehicle, full- or part-time, or those who want to are welcome to participate here.

Here it is in the meantime:)

https://www.purplewave.com/auction/...ucks-Fire_Truck_or_Emergency_Vehicle-Missouri

My first van was a much smaller step van that came rolling down the street when all I'd had for a ride in two years was a 3-speed bicycle. It had a FOR SALE sign in the rear window so I chased after it as fast as I could pedal and caught up when he had to stop for a red light. Quickly knocking on his door just before the light turned green I bought it from him on the spot. It had already been totally converted including a propane furnace built right into the cabinetry. I loved my little van home.

The great thing about vans over -- Class As Class Cs, slide-in campers, etc. -- is that they all eventually leak when it rains, along with a host of other problems (like you mentioned about being overweight for the chassis). Step vans are TRUCKS, built solid, built to work hard, built to last. I'm smiling, thinking about how you are going to enjoy your step van, just as I did mine.

Note: I'm still a full-time van dweller, now in a 1998 Chevy Express 3500 I converted myself with no help. I've learned to be truly independent.

Amazing step van! All the bells and whistles! You did great on the buy. So much better than buying a new RV! But wow, it really is huge!

And CosmicGold, that was a wonderful story about how you got your step van! Step vans are extremely well built and easy to work on. I could never see myself in anything else.

Yeah she’s a big one. The water deal is going to be the issue but it’s big enough I can put a 55 gallon plastic drum inside for fresh water. Thinking of a natures head composting toilet and building a platform on the side steps and putting it there. With the door I can remove waste there and face the toilet either direction.

Awesome. Sounds like a good foundation to build upon. Also nice that it can fit into your barn. I just got my step van but haven’t done much yet. Learning a lot from this forum. Welcome