Cummins Canoe (A Stepvan Story)

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Oh no, the debate about pyrometers being pre or post turbo! I have never heard of a pyrometer tip breaking off. They are extremely durable stainless steel. Only way you could have an issue is if someone intentionally sabotaged it or it got too hot and melted off. And if your engine got hot enough to melt your pyrometer tip, your engine and turbo are already torched. Also, when you install pyrometer, give it just the tip. Don't go all willy billy and shove the whole thing in.

Exhaust gasses cool down significantly once it passed through the turbo. How much cooler? You can't guesstimate such a number to be exact, too many variables involved. Most say 300 degree drop, but it could be as high as 600.

yeah I was told they need to be pre-turbo. However the gauge company Auto Meter says they can be install either pre or post turbo and if installed post turbo they must be 1-2 inches from the turbo. highdesertranger

Really, there is no right or wrong way to do it. Whatever the customer wants. It's just a gauge. An important one, but nothing dire. Just having an egt gauge somewhere takes most of the guesswork and praying out of the equation if you can read it somewhat properly.

Spending a lot of time indoors cleaning and painting.

50901702976_53e425f14a_m.jpg

[size=small]Finally got around to cleaning the oil pan that has been thrown into the corner of the garage. Lots of metal chunks down there. One of the reasons we're doing a full rebuild, who knows where all that metal has gotten to.[/size]

[size=small]
50900994748_3862921970_c.jpg
[/size]

[size=small][size=small]Did an easy clean up of the exterior. We're not going for show finish on this thing.[/size][/size]

[size=small][size=small]
50901703601_ef1345ce95_c.jpg
[/size][/size]

[size=small][size=small][size=small]The timing gear case cover had a funny grinding/burn mark from what I think was the fun/idler pulley.[/size][/size][/size]

[size=small][size=small]
50901703891_471d300bd0_c.jpg
[/size][/size]

[size=small][size=small][size=small]It got hot enough to burn the paint on the inside of the cover. Not sure if that was from a result from the engine blowing up or not.[/size][/size][/size]

[size=small][size=small][size=small]
50901821682_0c1776440a_c.jpg
[/size][/size][/size]

[size=small][size=small][size=small][size=small]Cleaned up the valve covers and other stuff too.[/size][/size][/size][/size]

[size=small][size=small][size=small][size=small]
50901704171_4ed9e20588_c.jpg
[/size][/size][/size][/size]

[size=small][size=small][size=small][size=small][size=small]Everything all painted and ready for reassembly.[/size][/size][/size][/size][/size]

How you gonna affix the pan gasket? Glue? What's the latest and greatest substance?

I'm gonna use actual gaskets from Cummins for everything but the oil pan. I've found that black RTV on it's own works best for oil pans.

I agree, I heard Ford was offering a free Dog with every new purchase, that way when it breaks down you have some body to walk home with.

:D :D :D

Ok ok, lets not start a long chain of Ford bashing. I used to own one, so I know the guilt and shame.

Machine work done, engine assembly continues.

50913687682_25da09bc9c_c.jpg

Torqued, lashed, seated, and lubed. Hopefully no problems.

50912865928_fc081d4c1a_c.jpg

We loosely installed all the covers and painted everything as it stands, trying not to get paint in where we don't want it.

50913552571_89fe511e66_c.jpg

While paint dries, we should probably deal with this silly killer dowel pin.

50912866093_f182c75375_c.jpg

They sell kits to fix this, but it's so simple and budgets, so we did our own thing.

50913688047_8bfee4f62c_c.jpg

And tackled the crank seal on the timing cover. Just spend the $30 for the install tool or borrow one so you don't mess up and have to buy another $50 seal.

Are those the seals that you install dry, meaning no oil?

I know the older Cummins, if you oiled the seals when installing they would leak.

Good job you can't even see the JB weld on the crank, LOL. Nice job on the killer dowel pin. Highdesertranger

Yes, those seals must be installed dry! I don't why, it makes no cents, but I always try to check on these funny things to make sure it gets done right. Every other seal like that I have ever done has been wet. But these old girls like it dry for some reason.

Haha, yea, that good old JB Weld! I'm really curious just how many minutes that repair job would actually work for.

I was told that the seal needs to burn the lip of the seal in order to seal, and if the seal is install wet it can't burn the lip of the seal.

I think if you look at the old seals, you will see the lip is a different color, slightly darker, that is where the seal burned to create the sealing surface.

Eich bin en Berliner...JFK ... what I know about speaking German I know about reassembling a diesel engine.

Zmann said:
Eich bin en Berliner...JFK ... what I know about speaking German I know about reassembling a diesel engine.

I stood in that platform with JFK made that speech in Berlin, it was right next to Checkpoint Charlie.

I see you have torqued down the cylinder head on my truck I had to install the head after the motor was in the frame I didn’t have enough height with the head on unless I left the oil pan and pick up off and installed it after the motor went in.

Attachments

• boxtruck.jpg
    boxtruck.jpg
    55 KB · Views: 18

Latest posts