Cubic mini wood stove

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes do not seal up unless the compartment is vented down to the outside.

If open to the living space, ensure ventilation.

In either case, use propane and CO alarms, and frequently test all gear for leaks, especially flex hoses, best replaced on a schedule.

My daughter just ordered a Cubic Grizzley and the base with firewood storage, for her skoolie. I can't say much about it yet, but that it looks good on the website!

highdesertranger said:
I don't know what part of the country you are in but out west here there is plenty of free wood.  

Back in my hiking days, there were a fair number of state parks/forests in PA, NY and NJ that didn't allow people to collect firewood--there were so many people that it would have stripped everything bare within days.   :(

Congratulations on your stove I have heard nothing but good things about this brand and they look cool too. I want one but don’t think I have room for it. I already have a dickenson vented propane heater no intention of getting rid of it but would consider a wood burner as well as I am planning on spending a winter in a very cold place. I see no problems with finding wood for this thing, all you need is a good saw either a battery circular or one of those woods and folding blade things. I think the biggest issue is finding places to store a few days worth of wood, I saw one guy in a larger box truck with a purpose built storage compartment under the truck. On smaller vans this may be a problem. Maybe a roof box, sacrifice fuel economy?? The advantages of wood as I see it is it can be a very cheap way to heat, I have no issues with sleeping with a wood stove turned down low where as I wouldn’t do that with my propane heater even if it is vented. Dry heat like a vented propane heater. the down sides is the wood storage, driving shortly after using it, they are bit messy, cutting your wood into small pieces could be good excercise or a pain in ass. I will be near Montreal next summer where they manufacture these things and will stop in when passing by to see if they have a flawed one sitting in the back shed for a special price, that might tempt me to find a place for it. I have a spot if I could make the chimney go out the side of the van. Maybe they have some elbows?? I think you will enjoy this stove.

These stoves are very small, and may not be able to make enough heat for you.
I recently watched a utube video of a couple using on in there camper.
I think the channel might be elsa rhae.
From early November I think, it got me thinking one of these might not cut it for me

I've been reading a lot about people using them in busses so I'm hoping this will work well in my van. I will keep you updated as I bought the stove already so hoping it works quite well. Needing it to keep the van warm for 6 hour periods or so. Hoping to be able to work with compressed logs. I bought the wall mount with the stove, hoping to keep it in the passenger seat area with a box underneath to store wood. With my fridge next to that hopefully? That leaves plenty of room in the "house" for a kitchen and storage.

be very careful with the compressed logs. a lot of them do not play well with wood burning stoves, they build up a lot of crap in the flue. I know this from experience. a lot of the stoves have warnings to burn wood or charcoal only. highdesertranger

The good thing is that seasoned firewood bundles can be bought so many places.

You will have a very short chimney, so creosote buildup shouldn’t be too much of a problem, but you will want to watch for that and the potential for chimney fires because of it.

If I could find a way to have one in my Class B, I would do it on a heartbeat, as it’s the best heat, ever

Looking forward to seeing pictures of your set up.

Interesting they claim that compressed logs and enviro bricks actually burn cleaner than regular wood & I'm pretty sure this one is not allowed to burn charcoal I've heard that burns pretty dirty. 

I will definitely keep you guys updated on what the final plan and final outcome is

Too small you will have to add fuel constantly to keep the fire going. You want a wood burning stove with a large enough firebox you can stack it full of logs, then turn down the air inflow so it burns slow and steady and keeps you warm all night.

some people don't want it to burn all night. I am one. I don't like artificial heat while I sleep. highdesertranger

I think these things burn all night, they are meant to be very efficient. I read a few reviews and people really like them. It is made for a van so a large firebox may take up too much space.

an ammo can wood burning stove is also a great option. been using it for several months mostly as a novelty to enjoy campfire while sitting inside my sofa sleeper with the sliding door open but with it closed it keep the van toasty all night long.

happy burning

I just received the actual stove, and while yes it is quite small I am hoping combined with the insulation and correct airflow it will keep my van perfectly warm. Smaller than a 10 inch subwoofer. About as tall as my hand. 

Woodstoves are the best heat anyway, I don't mind the extra work. Gives me something to keep my mind off of how lonely it will be. Lol

"Gives me something to keep my mind off of how lonely it will be. Lol"

you need a gold pan or metal detector, maybe both.

highdesertranger

Sepudo said:
an ammo can wood burning stove is also a great option. been using it for several months mostly as a novelty to enjoy campfire while sitting inside my sofa sleeper with the sliding door open but with it closed it keep the van toasty all night long.

happy burning

I just built one that is complete with 3" automotive exhaust pipe, and an inside diverter to route to smoke so it reburns more efficiently. I just have to make a latch for the door, and devise an air inlet. The last step will be burning the paint off outdoors, and then re-painting with black stove paint. The whole stove weighs about 15-20#with an ash grate, and pipe.

I actually built this for my small shop 8'x12', and can route the chimney out a cut window pane.

The stove fire box is 11"x6"x6".

Be careful with flamable materials in a shop especially the spray cans that use propane for a propellant if you don't want to burn your socks. Don't ask me how I know!

The cubic mini has a major flaw. In order to clean the flu pipe you must remove two plates from the inside of the stove. The plates are attached with two screws that must be loosened in order to remove the plates. My screws crumbled due to the heat, and my plates are stuck in there. I can’t clean my flu pipe easily at all and makes the stove somewhat unusable. I contacted cubic, they replied with “thank you, this is how we perfect our product.” I paid a grand for my setup, only used it for 3 months. Consider this before buying a cubic mini woodstove, If I could go back I would 100% go with a Dickenson diesel boat stove.