Option A or Option B

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 29503

Reaction score
You are invited to participate in a survey!!! :( It pays nothing.

I have only two options I can afford for heating.  

Option A - Mr. Heater Portable Buddy 

Option B - My uncle passed away, my aunt gifted me a wood stove, larger than Cubic mini (aprrox. 1' x 2'), not really that heavy.  This was free, I                  I don't have to pay for it.

Option C - Your recommendation outside of the two with price (I can't afford anything more than $150, is what it is). 

I have a Chevy G10 with cedar tongue and groove boards on the walls, and ceiling.  Stove would go on drivers side amidships (note: I understand that there is precise, and specific installation procedure with stove to avoid burning my van down and becoming a Rabbit burger).  Also with weight, I'm going the minimalist route as Bob has suggested in his crash course.

Thanks

I am not completely sure but when there are burn bans out west, you couldn't use a wood stove. A loose ember could set the forest on fire.

I vote for A. Either one will require ventilation. A CO detector and a propane detector would be great to have.

I would go for this:
Martin Portable Gas Catalytic Heater, OUTDOOR Heating, Foldable Legs, CSA CERTIFIED

It's below your price range. It's Catalytic, Something I saw Bob Wells recommend in type in one of his videos.

Attachments

• Martin.png
    Martin.png
    124.6 KB · Views: 2
Where will you be? How cold might it get?

A Portable Buddy is too much heat in most situations.

Wood stoves, besides not being able to use them in areas with fire bans, are annoying to clean. And wherever the chimney exits the van, there's a possibility of a water leak.

Something like the Martin above or the Little Buddy would be better for something the size of a van.

Or you can do what I do and just use the stove for heat.

gizmotron said:
Martin Portable Gas Catalytic Heater... It's below your price range.

Portable Buddy: MSRP $115 ---On Amazon $99

Martin Portable Gas Catalytic: MSRP $160 ---On Amazon $99

Rabbit1980 said:
My aunt gifted me a wood stove, larger than Cubic mini (aprrox. 1' x 2'), not really that heavy.  This was free,

A wood stove would use up a lot of space in a van because you have to keep combustible materials a minimum distance away while it's being used.

The Martin has a low setting. I saw a comment from someone living in a van and he said that the low setting on the Martin was not too much for the Van. He also said that he had a Buddy and it's too hot. I have a Buddy and it's way too hot. Plus this thing is Catalytic. That's a huge plus.

I might add this to all that. I keep a 5 gallon Propane tank on board in a ventilated area. I use it to refill the 1lb little green bottles. It saves a lot of money.

Take the free wood stove and buy the buddy best of both worlds I have a propane vented heater and plan to install a small wood stove as well I just got to figure out how and where it will fit. I hate being cold and two different fuels open ups more options.

Can't understand why a diesel heater isn't being considered. Cheap, fairly easy to install (many YouTube instruction videos), economical to run, dry heat, v low battery draw and safe since all combustion gasses get vented outside. Actual users almost universally love them and find they very dependable. Several for under $120 shipped at https://www.vevor.com/collections/diesel-heater

Sent from my LM-V405 using Tapatalk

gizmotron said:
I would go for this:
Martin Portable Gas Catalytic Heater, OUTDOOR Heating, Foldable Legs, CSA CERTIFIED

It's below your price range. It's Catalytic, Something I saw Bob Wells recommend in type in one of his videos.

Looks like it's the same unit sold by Coleman. The one I had worked well for a couple months untill the pad got contaminated with oil from the 20 lb propane bottle. Eventually it would only heat around the edges and finally would not ignite at all.

Portable Buddy heater was too much for my camper so I had to leave the windows open. Also lots of condensation. It too got clogged with oil from the 20 lb bottle and was a pain to clean out.

Diesel heat is my favorite but not for everyone because installation is a bit involved and it takes battery power to run.

This just came across my radar.
Woodstoves are messy. Take space. Require maintenance and care with not only combustibles but the stuff of life you live with.
1. Do you NEED to heat the air in your space?
2. Where do you travel or 'live' most often? Can you move to a warmer location and let nature (sun) help?
3. Budget - you already mentioned. I completely understand cheap to free is best for many of us.

Based on budget alone IF it was my decision (allergic to propane AND extreme minimalist) I would install the free woodstove for use when necessary and possible. Under these conditions and installed properly it's better to have some heat when possible than to have no heat available.

Notes: I like the idea of desiel heaters. I understand that they are noisy inside AND outside of rigs. It seems not helpful if you need to be stealthy.
Propane creates a lot of condensation, that should be considered.
Years ago I had a Kandle Heater in Vantucket. I had to be very careful with the liquid fuel candle and created a "cage" to protect it from Ozzie, who was my dog. It was wonderful to take the chill off.
Fire bans are mostly (I said mostly) during hot weather.
Woodstove - chimney pieces are not cheap so it will cost you to install. I like the silicone boot /flashing that is available. The chimney needs a cap for travel, you want to let the fire burn out before you drive around. It can be made waterproof by following marine applications. I HAD a cubic mini and hated it. Mine wouldn't burn anything but super dry hardwood - the company finally told me that I needed to use compressed logs which had to be bought I couldn't afford them and nearly froze with a cord of free seasoned hardwood and more wood all around me (the year I was paralyzed) also cleaning a 3 in chimney every week was difficult at that time. (Your mileage may differ)
Additionally, study ultra lightweight winter hiking info about how to stay warm in areas where the climate is similar to where you are when it's cold. Consider, if appropriate a bed tent for warmpth and get outside and move! Like I once did, don't listen to people who tell you that it never gets cold in the desert! They obviously don't know!

Enjoy.

Another way to go is to put a filter on your propane gas line. You can even clean your propane tanks. But it is best to never over fill them in the first place.

See about a line filter here: 

Sell the woodstove if it is nice enough to get some bucks for it :)

Then you have more money for your other heater option which means you can research a bit more and buy something better in any way that might suit you or some other things for your van you might want?

Wood stove, mess, flames. Nope. For my personal life I would skip that thing.

Simply Less: Good comments. You are correct that Diesel Heaters are not silent; you would hear one from the outside if closer than 15 feet (but much quieter than any generator). Inside noise is minimal, just a gentle blower 'whoosh' sound; I don't hear the pump clicking some complain about.

Location: Wintering in the low desert of Arizona BLM eliminates many problems. Safe, friendly, inexpensive with groceries and fuel to drive to store accounting for most. Move to higher elevations in summer.

Sent from my LM-V405 using Tapatalk