COVID news

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
And that the world isn’t flat

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dingfelder said:
....I'm working in a supermarket now.  We disinfect hourly and are pressed to do so regardless of the usual soul-less corporate concentration on making money at any cost to anyone from customer to employee.  In other words, ignore your customer if it is sanitation time.  Period.

Additionally, in my department, the deli, we have to wash out hands constantly because we are handling greasy pans etc. as well as breading and deep-frying our most popular item, chicken parts.  Wash wash wash, spray spray spray with sanitizer, it never ends.  So much so that my hands dry out so much it hurts.  Especially to put on those latex gloves.  And yeah we not only wash constantly, spray sanitizer both constantly and regularly according to verified schedule, but we wear frequently changed gloves too....

I think I've already lost a long-time friend over this, so Dear People, be cautious with your paranoia  He accuses me of being selfish for returning home after working each day.  Meanwhile he has a self-imposed quarantine after traveling out of town and he violates it constantly, visiting us and traveling about town as he pleases, including volunteer work that exposes him to masses of people.  His common sense is not high, but his paranoia and ability to point fingers at others is formidable.

Of course, I could never go home and be exposed to family and friends with nowhere near my own level of hygiene personally and professionally.  Who's really the risk?  All you folks wiping down every surface, I mean.  You're doing that, right?  I thought so.  Maybe I could just die under a rock somewhere?  Why not?

Good luck eating if grocery store workers get treated like plague carriers. 

My friend sent me an angry text yesterday.  I sent him a less insulting one back referencing his own fake self-quarantine.  I won't continue the conversation until he comes back to himself.
P.S.: He never did.

Just following the protocols and practicing common sense will help more that these rules. Of course they are helpful, but the crowds are following the social distancing rules only when they are being asked to. Practicing caution on your own without the nudge will go a long way than anything else.

I have a son that is an LPN in a veterans hospital that is getting crowded. Deaths are slowing down as they learn better how to treat Covid 19, if they can just keep supplies and keep from being overrun. I have a daughter that did 56 nasal swab tests in her clinic today, a new high number, she worked 96 hours last two weeks. I have a another son that tested positive 10 days ago but survived and has pretty much recovered and tested negative today. I can’t wait to for him to get an antibody test to see if he has immunity, in fact I can’t wait till our whole family can get vaccinated. I have a cousin that is in the Merc vaccine test, he is doing well. Most of the people that truly died of Covid 19 didn’t have to die. They may have had issues that were treatable which they could have lived with but they didn’t because of Covid 19. We have all sorts of state motor vehicle rules to prevent death causing accidents. We have all sorts of national food and health regulations to prevent sickness and death. This country has experienced a much higher death rate overall than we have seen in several years, but we have yet to see many state or national rules that are effective because of our population being unwilling to do what is necessary to stop it. Visit a hospital or morgue if you don’t believe and ask the director if he isn’t busier than he has been in years. Some of the rural lower population state’s infection rates are 50% I believe. Ask a Navajo on the reservation how many of their family died and if it has been fewer than last year.

bullfrog said:
.... how many of their family died and if it has been fewer than last year.
Looks like there are one million three hundred ninety six thousand four hundred and three people you will not get to know because they have died of covid 19 as of today. 

I am not debating, just honoring those who struggled and died. Here is the most current dashboard I am posting because the numbers are going up, not time to relax.   ~crofter

https://coronavirus.jhu.edu/map.html

^^^I agree. If you do happen to be one of those many that get it do you think your body won’t be affected as you age? Will you be able to pay for a several week stay in ICU or even a normal hospital bed? This is a national disaster and will affect our economy and well being for years to come in my opinion. It is good that many will survive but our world has changed, much like wars we have fought in the past, you really don’t realize how lucky you are till it is over.

@Sofi I live not far from LAX so quite a hub of what should be deaths and very ill people and nothing. Zero.
I know my mother’s cleaner’s father had several strokes and after his last one he was taken to a local hospital where two days later he died of “Covid.” The family since you can’t see someone once you drop them off, is enraged. He was fine except for his stroke. I assume as does the family that he had another stroke. The hospitals since they are laying off doctors and nurses and I know plenty of both (although all have seniority and won’t be laid off) need funding from somewhere to stay afloat.

I forgot. We have 4 local nursing homes here and one had two people diagnosed with Covid. I know this because I’ve researching for my mother and asked. Neither died. I have read that for obvious reasons most of the virus cases are in nursing homes.

If you go to the Los Angeles Public Health web site they has a whole break down of nursing home death statistics. My mother is in a nursing home in Eastern Kentucky. They test twice a week. Employees and incoming residents coming from hospitals within a few days are where most of the positive tests have come from as long term residents are isolated from those that test positive. Just courteous if this tragedy had been men in planes crashing into nursing homes, hospitals and cities killing the same number of people would you feel the same?

This brings back memories of how many Americans thought and acted during Vietnam except now it is the front line essential workers instead of soldiers bearing the burden.

We've had a TON of cases in my office. I would guess over a third of the company got it? A handful were VERY sick and had to be hospitalized - yes including healthy younger people with no pre-existing conditions. Somehow I have managed not to get it. My sister got it, and she works from home and rarely goes out, always wears a mask and washes her hands etc. She had a mild case and is fine now, although she couldn't taste anything for a month. Still, you never know who might get it, it's smart to take precautions. We've had a second spike here at the office, so far we haven't lost anyone to covid (yet) although one very close call (still in hospital on ventilator but hopefully will recover).

I have a second job on the weekends at a grocery store, despite the heavy contact with general public there's only been 4 or 5 cases at my store, compared to 30 or 40 at my office. Taking precautions really does help.

here we go again. stop the bickering or I will close this thread. I am going to go back and delete some posts. if someone posts something you don't agree with drop it, DO NOT RESPOND TO THEM. I don't care who thinks they are right or wrong STOP IT. highdesertranger

don't you people listen. I DON"T WANT TO SEE ANY QUOTES OR PEOPLE CALLING OTHERS BY NAME, PERIOD. highdesertranger

man I don't want to give warning points and you'll just ain't listening.

this is not a medical forum
this is not a science forum

as far as I know there are no experts here

THEREFORE THIS THREAD IS CLOSED

highdesertranger

Status
Not open for further replies.