COVID news

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

MotorVation

Reaction score
No one is paying any attention the 6 ft rule. There aren't many cases if any at all in Kingman, at least last time I checked. I've only been here for about 4 days so this is the first trip into town. Lots of tweakers. I mean LOTS. I've never seen anything like it anywhere. Seriously. It's gonna be really bad here when it hits.

Edited to add:
This area is frigging beautiful but it's like a Stephen King novel with the meth. It's a shame

MotorVation said:
I don't see it getting better anytime soon, but in my opinion, grocery stores are hotspots for the spread of this virus. I'm glad Walmart's going to do something about it but it's going to suck.

I have to eat or I wouldn't subject myself to it. I've been trying to get a pickup slot at Wally World but I couldn't wait any longer. Plus, my laundry...never mind, I don't want to get into that. The laundromat I went to was clean. They had a girl wiping everything down
Re the first paragraph, I don't think so ... within limits.  As in, you're not going anywhere else, right?  And you MUST go to get food, so ... where else could a "hot spot" more likely be.  

That doesn't actually make it a hot spot.

I'm working in a supermarket now.  We disinfect hourly and are pressed to do so regardless of the usual soul-less corporate concentration on making money at any cost to anyone from customer to employee.  In other words, ignore your customer if it is sanitation time.  Period.

Additionally, in my department, the deli, we have to wash out hands constantly because we are handling greasy pans etc. as well as breading and deep-frying our most popular item, chicken parts.  Wash wash wash, spray spray spray with sanitizer, it never ends.  So much so that my hands dry out so much it hurts.  Especially to put on those latex gloves.  And yeah we not only wash constantly, spray sanitizer both constantly and regularly according to verified schedule, but we wear frequently changed gloves too. g 

Cashiers are wearing gloves and constantly spraying sanitizers.  We have a full-time cleaner who is usually supplemented by two more full-time cleaners who do nothing but sanitize ... and we are not a big supermarket. How many of you do that in your own homes?  Spray down countertops, door knobs, refrigerator handles, any surface a child or (sorry) spacey elder might touch without thinking at all?  Touching every orifice and skin surface they can find all the while as if on a holy mission to do so?  

I'm guessing some figure approaching 100%.

So yes, a market sees more people than you might, but the standards are so much higher that I doubt all but a tiny percentage of people's safety precautions are remotely in the vicinity.

I think I've already lost a long-time friend over this, so Dear People, be cautious with your paranoia  He accuses me of being selfish for returning home after working each day.  Meanwhile he has a self-imposed quarantine after traveling out of town and he violates it constantly, visiting us and traveling about town as he pleases, including volunteer work that exposes him to masses of people.  His common sense is not high, but his paranoia and ability to point fingers at others is formidable.

Of course, I could never go home and be exposed to family and friends with nowhere near my own level of hygiene personally and professionally.  Who's really the risk?  All you folks wiping down every surface, I mean.  You're doing that, right?  I thought so.  Maybe I could just die under a rock somewhere?  Why not?

Good luck eating if grocery store workers get treated like plague carriers. 

My friend sent me an angry text yesterday.  I sent him a less insulting one back referencing his own fake self-quarantine.  I won't continue the conversation until he comes back to himself.

Hey ding, I wish I lived where your store is. +1

Seems hospitals in Utah are filling up so getting an ICU bed may work against those stats as far as quality of treatment. For sure wear a mask, social distance and wash you hands.

The article linked mentioned that one reason for better stats is "doctors have developed standardized treatments". Anyone know about this?

On the plus side, the article indicates that "mask-wearing may be helping by reducing the initial dose of virus a person receives, thereby lessening the overall severity of illness for many patients".

"Incremental improvements in outcomes are likely a combination of increasing clinical experience, decreasing hospital volume, growing use of new pharmacologic treatments (such as corticosteroids, remdesivir and anti-cytokine treatments), non-pharmacologic treatments (such as proning), earlier intervention, community awareness, and lower viral load exposure from increasing mask wearing and social distancing. It is also possible that earlier periods had a more virulent circulating strain."

Proning (putting a patient in the prone position, or "flat on their belly with their chest and face down, rather than on their back)
https://www.health.com/condition/infectious-diseases/coronavirus/proning-treatment-coronavirus

travelaround said:
Our local clinic says there are even fewer cases of flu because of mask wearing etc. ... I think it is a good thing.
Or could it be that the flu illness is being mistaken as Covid, supported by numerous false positive tests ?

What is missing is the number of ICU providers available to service those beds. On average it takes 9 providers to support on C19 patient (MD\MO, RN, LPN, NP, RT, etc.), yet most hospitals that I've seen have at best, one RN per bed and only a handful of RT (respiratory tech)s, many have less than that. Then, we have rural areas that have seen multiple facility closing over the last decade... and that's where a lot of the new cases are coming from.

"TAMPA (WFLA) — The Florida Department of Health reported an additional 5,557 cases of the coronavirus on Thursday." We are wide open now in Florida. Come on down and roll around in some Covid!

I'm thinking about heading back to the desert southwest

I’m not here to argue statistics with anyone. But it is interesting that in Pennsylvania our cases of positive testS are up very high and our cases of death and hospitalization are level or less. Seems there is some truth to the theory that the more tests you do the more positives you’re going to get. I know of about five people who are positive now four of them are young and have no problem whatsoever getting through this one is 70 and not healthy and I worry about him.

According to David Dexter’s latest post the head of Arizona’s leading lab (he is a Lake Powell fan and his full post is on wayneswords.com in the Lake Powell Issues section) the Trump Administration has bought and is distributing 150 million of the 15 minute rapid tests that are being used in settings where they are not giving accurate results, in other words where a PCR test should be done (he states a 24 hour result time is now possible) and messing with the stats. Good news is that he should have soon developed an antibody test that will not only determine if you have had the virus but how good a candidate you are for a vaccine when they are offered. If you want a look from the inside of testing development you should read his post.

PCR tests have issues as well, never intended to be a diagnostic test. It is intended for use in research.

travelaround said:
Our local clinic says there are even fewer cases of flu because of mask wearing etc. ... I think it is a good thing.

Now we just need to convince some people that the flu is not a hoax.

Status
Not open for further replies.