Couldn't find his dream popup micro-camper, built it instead

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wasanah2

Reaction score
Title is:  Couldn't find his dream popup micro-camper, built it instead

YouTube.  I found additional info from his translated website (thank you google translate) which is below.   It looks a lot like Airstream's Base Camp.  His build is VERY light construction.   For him, it looks like it works great.  He's mainly working with 1 inch insulation boards, light wood construction materials and GLUE.  A lot of glue.  He said over and over that you cannot use expandable glue.  He said he had ruined parts that had to be re-done when he mistakenly got expandable glue.  To finish the sandwich of the walls, he uses luan on the inside and put an aluminum skin on it.  I think you could do a poor man's fiberglass on it if you wanted to.

PLUS:  The only power tool he used was a hand held jigsaw.  Everything else, hand tools.

I also thought his idea on the slide would make a really cool extension for extra room on a van, either on a side slide or off the back.  He uses a board for the base and stabilizers underneath.   He has C-channel (the same stuff that holds awnings on a camper) that holds the push out fabric for the slide.  Very interesting build and not that high tech. 

Here's his translated website:  https://translate.google.com/transl...s://jasman.home.xs4all.nl/&edit-text=&act=url

He's really been helpful in explaining.  I emailed with him with specific questions.  His English is good.   His website has more pix of his builds.    I doubt it would work for everyone, but maybe something there is helpful to someone.

Attachments

• micro-camper.JPG
    micro-camper.JPG
    38.6 KB · Views: 12
Dgorila1 said:
Impressive! He is very skilled!

He did it on the fly though.  He didn't write anything down...Which he should have done because he could have sold the plans for it.  He has a job making booths for conventions and displays and such.  I see how that expertise helped him know what would work for his design.  He also makes wonderful speaker cabinets with curved wood. 

But he has no special power tools.  A hand held jigsaw.  And that means that ANYONE can do this.